The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 5, 2000, 09:47 PM   #1
Coolray

Hi George,
First of all I have Asked the following question from Taurus,and I haven't recieved any information from them.

I Have a Model 431 .44spl 3" SS revolver. I was noticing that the OAL of the .44spl is 1.615 and maximum case length is 1.160

The .44 Mag OAL is 1.610 and case is 1.285

The question is can I replace the Cylinder with one that will accept .44mag rounds and if so would the frame handle it.
It is a large frame.
I do not want to machine the cylinder unless Taurus says that's O.K. I was just thinking about it while I was looking at some reload data. Seems like it should be able to be done there are a lot of short .44mags out there.
Old November 6, 2000, 12:23 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Maybe George won't mind my .02.

The .44 Magnum is a whole 'nuther ball game from the .44 Special. Revolver makers use different steel (and/or more of it) in cylinders and frames to handle the much higher pressures of the magnum round.

I think Taurus will tell you not to do what you are suggesting. If you want .44 Magnum results, you can load the .44 Special to almost .44 Magnum velocity and power. (After all, Elmer Keith "souped up" the .44 Special in developing the .44 Magnum.)

But, again, I think Taurus will veto the idea and FWIW, I do not recommend either approach.

Jim
Old November 6, 2000, 03:30 AM   #3
manny1

The only thing is Taurus has a lifetime warranty on their products (unless this gun is pre warranty or used)& any modifications will probably void that warranty. Just something else to consider...
Old November 6, 2000, 09:11 AM   #4
Coolray

I fully understand what you guys are saying,I was thinking that if I could get a cylinder from Taurus having a small Magnum would be fun. I can load my .44spl Hot but prefer to load just off max. As for the warranty it is lifetime of the gun,However If I were to try and make my own mods like have the .44spl cylinder machined,then I believe I void the warranty and trust my health to a home made mod.....I don't believe the benifit is worth the risk