The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 15, 2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Deadboyreloads

45 auto brass

On average how many loads do you get out of 45 auto brass
Old June 15, 2013, 02:30 PM   #2
steveno

I don't bother counting the loads on cases but I had some Federal nickel 45 acp cases that I'm sure had over 30 loads on them. I also have some Starline and plain Federal cases that must be getting close to that. I had some Winchester cases that I wore the caliber and name off of them and they still worked fine also. you will probably lose more cases before you wear them out.
Old June 15, 2013, 02:32 PM   #3
arch308

Use 'em til you lose 'em. I do inspect them but very seldom have them wear out.
Old June 15, 2013, 02:48 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

I worry more about not loosing them instead of wearing them out too. The answer is a lot. The few I have had problems with I believe were Remington. You could still see part of the name on the head stamp. It may take a few more years to see if I can wear out another brand.
Old June 15, 2013, 06:13 PM   #5
Shootest

The 45ACP is a low pressure round and the brass will last a long long time. The only caliber that I think will last longer is 38spl and that’s because it’s harder to lose revolver brass.
Old June 15, 2013, 07:14 PM   #6
dickttx

I have some 38 Super Starline that I used to work up loads and some have been reloaded 26 times. Much higher pressure round than 45 ACP.
Old June 15, 2013, 07:53 PM   #7
tmorone

I've loaded some until the headstamp was nearly worn off. Many, many, many reloads to a single case.
Old June 15, 2013, 08:10 PM   #8
salvadore

I still have some military brass that I have been reloading since the late seventies.
Old June 16, 2013, 10:57 AM   #9
rodfac

I can honestly say that I've never worn out, or cracked a .45 ACP piece of brass....like the other responders here have said, I lose 'em first. Some of my brass, I'd estimate, has been loaded 25 time. However, if I want first rate accuracy, I do have some brass, kept separate and loaded an identical number of times, that I use for accuracy loads. HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old June 16, 2013, 12:23 PM   #10
BigJimP

I don't keep track of how many times....but I shoot at indoor ranges, concrete floors ...where brass bounces all over ...and I sweep up whatever is in my area ( out of my guns / other guns )....and I can't say I've ever worn a case out.

I clean them ...and if I can't read the headstamp, they've been used so much, I toss them out.

But like others said, its a thick case ...low pressure round especially in 230gr ...and I'm not sure you can wear one out ! But I'd say 30+ at least....
Old June 16, 2013, 12:44 PM   #11
m&p45acp10+1

I have had exactly 8 cases that split at the case mouth in the past 4 years. I quit counting how many times that they have been reloaded. I always come home with more brass than I left the house with.

The ones that wear out will split at the case mouth when you are expanding them. If that happens. Skip seating a bullet. Just run it into the seater die to remove the flare. Then decap the primer in the sizing die, and then reseat it into a newer case. Toss the split one into a scrap can.
Old June 16, 2013, 10:44 PM   #12
Constrictor

I never see split 45 cases, however someone here mentioned 38 special lasting a long time, I'm not sure why but I loose more 38 special cases to splits than any other caliber.
Old June 17, 2013, 05:40 AM   #13
WESHOOT2

Chamber size contributes greatly to case life.

Tags
45 auto , brass