The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 28, 2005, 07:25 PM   #1
JB696

Powder for 44 Mag and Special

I've been reading the forum for a couple of days in order to select a powder for loading both of these rounds. Both of my loading manuals show different recommended powders for each. Apparently some work better in the Specials and others for the Magnums. Then there are all the other variables, clean burning or not, fast burn slow burn, case filling, granule size, muzzle flash, magnum primers or regular. All this time on the computer is going to make me blind. Choosing a powder can be more of a chore than I thought.

I will be loading Nosler 200 gr. JHP in both the Mag and Special cases. These will be used for plinking.......er, I mean serious target shooting at 25 yards, in a SW 696 and a Redhawk 7 1/2. There's also an old VW bus out in the woods that I will be blasting the heck out of, but I think I can use the same ammo for both. Should I use two different powders or just get a can of Unique and be done with it. Or is there a better choice?
Old September 28, 2005, 07:34 PM   #2
LHB1

Unique will work OK in both calibers for mid-range loads. Win 296 will work great for full power loads. Hodgdon H110 is also great (some say it is the same powder as Win 296). With any powder stay within safe max as shown in at least one (preferably two) major reloading manual/s. Follow standard instructions to start low and work up to desired loading level. DON'T LOAD TOO MANY SHELLS OF A GIVEN LOAD UNTIL YOU TEST IT! Can prevent a lot of wasted effort and save pulling bullets on a lot of unsatisfactory loads.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

ps: I use Win 296 with 245 gr cast bullets for my heavy .44 Mag load and use AA5 with 210 gr cast bullets in my medium field load. See published loading manuals for safe amounts of powder as always. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND NOT TAKING ANY RECOMMENDED LOAD OFF THE INTERNET OR FROM A FRIEND IF IT IS NOT SHOWN IN A STANDARD LOADING MANUAL!!!
Old September 28, 2005, 07:49 PM   #3
kingudaroad

I recently started loading for 44 mag and my first loads were with unique. I was also using a lighter bullet like you. Very mild and accurate. I've since also tried 2400 and H110. Part of the fun is figuring out what you prefer to load and shoot. Stick with any of the faster burning lower velocty powders and you cant go wrong. Good luck, be safe and welcome to TFL.
Old September 28, 2005, 07:54 PM   #4
Hairtrigger

This evening I loaded 200 44 mags with 245gr cast bullets
I used Win 231 for the first time. It seems to be cleaner than H110 but I did not load nearly as heavy as I have with H110
http://photos.ohioglockers.com/album13
Old September 28, 2005, 08:13 PM   #5
JB696

Thanks for the input. I'm not one to experiment with "hot loads" or guesswork as I figure that there have been 50 years of practice with these calibers. I'm one of those "by the book" handloaders. I've seen a few handload mishaps at the range over the years. I don't need that.