The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 22, 2012, 09:28 AM   #26
Budda

The ignorant and jealous define "excessive"......
Old December 22, 2012, 09:56 AM   #27
militant

Things will be sold for whatever people will pay for it. That being said, of corse .380 cost more than 9mm. 9mm is in much more supply.
Old December 22, 2012, 10:05 AM   #28
Sparks1957

Quote:
The ignorant and jealous define "excessive
Brilliant
Old December 22, 2012, 10:27 AM   #29
JasoninSD

I have been in sales for many years and I have yet to see an "excessive" profit. The main focus in my business, and I suspect most others, is to make sure my kids have shoes on their feet. The fact that I enjoy what I do and I am able to provide a quality product at a reasonable price to a consumer who is happy to buy it all while employing a number of people is just a bonus. If I decided to increase the price of my product just for the hell of it my customers may choose to go to my competitors for the product they want. This helps put shoes on the feet of my competitor's kids and that is not why I am in business.

If my costs go up on the components that go into the products I sell then I have a choice to make. I could sell my product at the same cost and make a smaller profit (which may keep my kids from getting new shoes). Or I could raise the price of my product to try and make the same profit. Or it could be a combination of those two. But, if my component costs are going up they are likely going up for my competitors too so we are all facing a similar decision.

The dilema I face is no different than that faced by a big company. The difference is that they may be trying to put shoes on the feet of the stockholder's kids. They can not just raise prices on a whim or their competitors will step in and take their customers.

As somebody else pointed out, the other option is to have the government decide which products are made and what prices are charged. Throughout the history of man this plan has never worked.
Old December 22, 2012, 07:54 PM   #30
rayway

Mabey Paranoia ?
Old December 22, 2012, 11:56 PM   #31
James K
Member In Memoriam

In my admittedly limited experience, most of the folks who talk about the greedy capitalist pigs making excessive profits have never made or sold anything in their lives. All they have done is sit in a classroom listening to left-wing professors who themselves have never done an honest days work.

Jim
Old December 23, 2012, 12:41 AM   #32
Scorch

I'm glad JamesK said it before I did.

Just be glad ammo is available at any price. We are likely to see hoarding again like in 2008-2009 due to fear-mongering, but the industrial machine will keep churning out ammo as long as we keep buying it.
Old December 23, 2012, 08:42 AM   #33
Patrice

Hhmmm....Cost of components, manufacturing/labor/overhead costs, profit margin, supply/demand/panic.--Patrice
Old December 24, 2012, 02:45 AM   #34
imthegrumpyone

Supply and demand.
Old December 24, 2012, 08:17 AM   #35
Chettt

I shoot .32acp. Fiocchi makes the best and sells it for less than the others I'm guessing because they make and sell alot of it in Europe and South America. Their 30/30 is priced higher than Winchester and Remington probably because they make less production runs of that cartridge.
Old December 24, 2012, 11:00 AM   #36
B.L.E.

If you think ammo is overpriced, buy the fanciest progressive reloading press that money can buy, and then try to make a living reloading ammo for other people.