The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 10, 2012, 07:00 PM   #26
shafter

Civil War soldiers didn't really clean their rifles with urine. It was mostly to get enough fouling removed so they could continue shooting. Back in camp the usually procedures were probably used.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:10 PM   #27
warbirdlover

That's what we're saying. Emergency cleaning fluid during battle.
Old December 13, 2012, 08:54 AM   #28
donkee

Simple Green and hot water. I use Simple Green cause that is what I use on all my guns.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:28 PM   #29
johnwilliamson062

I used head and shoulders with some hot water last night. Was washing it in the bath tub and it was right there. Decided to try it. Worked great.
Old December 16, 2012, 11:36 PM   #30
BirchOrr

Trigger time today

Got some serious trigger time in today with 4 different charcoal burners. WooooHoooo! When I was done, I tried the Simple Green I gave it a go as "donkey" made the suggestion. It works better than anything I've ever used. It took crud off I've never been able to remove. It was excellent along with hot water (50/50 in a bowl) to soak nipples, breach plugs, and cylinders while I was going after other parts with a toothbrush. Sprayed it down barrels and the BP and all else ran out and into the trash can with very little brushing. Cut my meticulous cleaning time in half.

I still have yet to try putting my ROA in the dishwasher as was also suggested.
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old December 17, 2012, 08:05 AM   #31
donkee

BirchOrr,

I am glad that the SG worked for you. I have been using it for a few years now and it has been a great gun cleaner for me.

I have a spare portable dishwasher that I am going to repurpose for parts washing and possibly brass. If I can get it going soon I'll let you know how it does.
Old December 17, 2012, 02:09 PM   #32
BirchOrr

Donkee

Quote:
If I can get it going soon I'll let you know how it does.
Please do!

Oh, and thanks again for the SG suggestion.

B
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old December 18, 2012, 09:00 AM   #33
donkee

My big holdup on hooking the portable is that I need to hook it up to the washtub in the basement. I have been looking around for a garden hose style connector so screw into the washtub faucet that will let me hook the portable DW to it. No options I can find yet. Might have to do some creative plumbing.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:07 PM   #34
DD4lifeusmc

gatofeo #2 pee on rifle in Korea

Yes the M1 was very dependable. Survived as the action weapon for Marines even into the mid 60's of Vietnam.
The chosin reservoir was bitterly cold and also high humidity.
It was so cold at times moisture in the air would actually cause the bolt to freeze in the slides. The lubes back then that they were issued couldn't adapt viscosity wise and would freeze to a thick scum. Urine has a somewhat oily (for lack of a better word) in it.
This would help soften and dilute the lube.
Thus it is true sometimes they did pee on them. Generally only when they were expecting action.
Many actually stopped using the lubes in the bitter cold.
This is what we were taught when we Went through Recruit Training.
There were a few Army Troops stationed near the reservoir that were trapped.
The Marines broke out of the Reservoir ( Chosen), they were surrounded, to go help get the Army out and head out of the area.
Because of the extreme cold, that is why the battle was nick named the Frozen Chosin.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:18 PM   #35
DD4lifeusmc

donkee connector

Most home improvement stores have a garden hose to pipe thread adapter.
Garden hosed will screw onto some kitchen faucet spouts if you unscrew
the aerator.
If this don't work then you can join them witha couple.
I bought the pieces a few years ago.
Also if the water heater is nearby. They all have a hose connection for draining.
ope this helps you
Old December 26, 2012, 06:50 PM   #36
THERAVEN

Don't use modern chemicals or boiling water

Hot water and Dawn is what I use. Do not use modern chemicals, most will react to blackpowder and cause corrosion. Most today cleansers are meant to cut through rough dirt and that alone will work against your barrel. After rinsing with warm to hot water, dry the best you can, breaking it down as far as you can. Turn it upside down for the night. Now spray the parts you can't get to with WD40 to get to water that might still be there. Oil the gun like you would any other gun and wipe it down. Remember that WD40 is a rust remover and water displacer and it will dry out. Like other guns you handle you should do them every several months.
Old December 26, 2012, 07:51 PM   #37
warbirdlover

Been reading the stuff on the BlackHorn 209 site. They say not to use water on their powder but a solvent (that they conveniently sell). I've got tons of different cleaning fluids I've been trying on my MkII Ruger that I used on my muzzleloader. Seems the Slip2000 works the best so far.
Old December 26, 2012, 07:58 PM   #38
Hawg

Quote:
Seems the Slip2000 works the best so far.
Water will work 1000 times better unless you use blackhorn. Its more like smokeless and wont work in a real muzzle loader.
Old December 27, 2012, 11:53 PM   #39
arcticap

Blackhorn 209 will work in a traditional muzzle loader if a small booster charge of another muzzle loading powder is loaded first. It's similar to using a booster charge of black powder to ignite a primary charge of Pyrodex or 777 in a flintlock.
Old December 31, 2012, 01:03 PM   #40
RevGeo

At home - HOT soapy water in a bucket with a length of plastic tube that fits over the nipple. Other end of the tube goes in the bucket. Poor some hot water into the barrel to prime the pump, put a tight patch on the cleaning rod and start pumping. Then I rinse with HOT water (because it evaporates quickly) a dry patch and then a lightly oiled patch.
In the field - Hoppes #9, dry patch and then oil.
Old January 1, 2013, 11:27 PM   #41
deerslayer303

Well let me throw my 2 cents in here. I disassemble the rifle, take the nipple off of the barrel (throw that thing in a small dish with HOT water, I do that now because I dropped one down the sink in the past, some of you may recall that post ) Then I fill a small wash tub half way with HOT water and DAWN straight out of the water heater. Then with the nipple end of the barrel in the tub I take the cleaning rod with patch and run up and down the barrel. It sucks water in through the nipple. then hook the garden hose to the water heater and spray it down with hot water. Then its off to the oven at 200 degrees till dry. Then its WD40 time. Then after that evaporates if I'm not going to use them I coat the bore with bore buttah.

The GPR barrel will not fit in the oven so she gets dried with an old hair dryer that SWMBO gave me.

Oh if your water heater is inside your house you may have a hard time doing it this way
Old January 2, 2013, 03:29 AM   #42
wet

I'd need a perty big oven to put my 62 in. I found somthing called "awsome" at a dollar store that works better than dawn dishwashing detergent.
Old January 2, 2013, 04:48 PM   #43
Erno86

Shafter is partially correct...the main culprit during the U.S. Civil War, was the Sharps breechloading carbine and rifle. Luckily...I had two experienced Sharps carbine shooter's by my side --- when I locked up and froze the action on my newly bought Sharps Carbine, due to fouling on the third shot; at our range.

That's when one of the fellow Sharps shooter's told me the story about the Civil War soldiers, who had to "pee" on the action of the Sharps {while in battlefield action} inorder to clean & lube the action on the Sharps.
He hosed down the action on my Sharps, with a spray bottle solution mixture of: 30% Simple Green/30% hydrogen peroxide/30% rubbing alcohol --- wiped it off with a rag --- and lubed up the action with hi-temp water pump grease.

Last edited by Erno86; January 2, 2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old January 4, 2013, 07:24 AM   #44
mehavey

Quote:
... locked up and froze the action on my newly bought Sharps Carbine, due to fouling on the third shot;
Where/How did the fouling lock occur? I've been shooting one in the N-SSA for years and it's been smooth all the way.

Last edited by mehavey; January 4, 2013 at 05:51 PM.