The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 12, 2013, 08:54 PM   #1
mitranoc

Hunting rifle advice?

Fellow shooter's,
Well the time has come to buy a new hunting rifle for boar and deer. I was originally going to get a 6.8 upper for my AR, but have decided to go with a more potent round (.308 or 30-06) in a bolt action. I'd like to keep weight to a minimum, and prefer a synthetic stock. I recently shot a friend's X-Bolt Medallion 30-06 and was impressed with it's accuracy and trigger. I'd definitely like to keep it under $1,000 (not including glass). I'm open to suggestions.

George Washington
Old February 12, 2013, 09:09 PM   #2
reynolds357

Savage's new ultra light weight is the latest addition to my run rack. 6.5 Creedmoor is definitely potent enough for hogs and deer.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Hummer70

For 1000.00 you could build a first rate rifle that you could use the rest of your life and pass it to your kids.

1. Get a 1903 or 03A3 Springfield that has already been sporterized. Rebarrel with stainless steel 12 twist barrel of heavier dimensions. A 5A Douglas contour is a good all around contour.

2. About ten inches in front of the action turn barrel down to a cylinder for .800". Barrel can be any length to 26".

3. At the .800 point mount a Weaver 92A base (fits .800" barrel dia) and Weaver see thru bases and a NC Star 2-7" scope.

4. Free float the barrel, bed the action.

Get an extra extractor, striker, striker rod and striker spring and you will have a rifle you can maintain yourself without tools for the next 50 years.

If you go the extra little bit and get a custom 30.06 reamer to the right dimensions you can reload LC Match brass over 100 times.
Cert Test Dir. Sm Arms and Ammo,Aberdeen Pr Ground, Firefighter I, AC4HT
Old February 13, 2013, 06:12 AM   #4
PatientWolf

If you want accuracy with minimum weight, you should t least look at the Tikka T3 Lite. I'd look @ SS, but some people like the blued look.
Old February 13, 2013, 06:52 AM   #5
Revolver1

Older Rem 700, 270win. Simply the Best!
Old February 13, 2013, 07:02 AM   #6
hooligan1

I second the Savage notion they are just more accurate and leave the rest behind in that department. But if you already like that Browning the by all means, give it a try.
Old February 13, 2013, 07:21 AM   #7
Mobuck

I've had excellent results with the Howa/Wby Vanguard rifles. Economical and accurate. The Series 2 has a much better trigger than earlier models. This choice will get you into the whole shebang including glass and ammo for under $1K.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:29 AM   #8
jones1220

If you've never shot a Savage with Accutrigger, you are missing out. I've found them to be extremely accurate and an excellent rifle for the price.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:57 AM   #9
eldermike

Older remington 700 would be my first thought. If you can find the right deal on a new one you can get a good trigger for about $150.00. So factor the $150.00 on the price when deciding.

I am not a fan of plastic parts on bolt action rifles so that rules out some possible good choices for me. I am not much of a fan on the zinc die cast parts on remingtons and others so for me that adds another $200.00 to the initial cost. I can't deal with thermo-plastic stocks so out goes another $350.00 for a stock.

So, look for an older one that already has a good trigger, good bottom metal and a decent stock as it came from the factory.

my opinion
Old February 13, 2013, 10:22 AM   #10
AllenJ

With that kind of budget you've got a lot choices. I've read really good reviews on the Browning X-Bolt and the new Winchester Model 70's, and I really like the Winchester. As you've read above Savage has a huge following and for good reason, they are very accurate. Ruger also makes a very nice bolt rifle. If you have a large gun store you should go and handle as many as you can to determine which you like best. Good luck and be sure to post what your choice was and how it shoots!
Old February 13, 2013, 10:23 AM   #11
Huffmanite

Should cost you under $400, but nothing wrong with the Marlin x7 rifles. Own a couple of them, a 25-06 and a 308. Both shot quite well out of the box for me. Marlin does have a nice adjustable trigger thats their version of an accutrigger. LOL, money saved with the Marlin can go for the cost of a darn nice scope.

FWIW, Most of gents I shoot with practically every Sunday at range we are members own some of the higher end Savage rifles, which do shoot quite well. However, several of my shooting buddies disliked the accutrigger in their Savages and replaced them, usually with a Rifle Basix trigger.
Old February 13, 2013, 12:54 PM   #12
dumbodave

For $1000.00 you can do many things and get a truely accurate rifle that you can take great pride in forever and whoever takes over your junk when you leave can still use for their lifetime.
I admit to a preference for Mauser action WWII era iron. If you want a long action, choose a P17 Remington/Enfield and build whatever you want. All competant gunsmiths do great work here. If you want the medium length action, get a K98 action and do the same thing. If you hanker for a lightweight, get an Arisaka and build whatever you want.
Let your dreams lead you on!
Old February 13, 2013, 01:13 PM   #13
mapsjanhere

Tikka T3 stainless in 308, has become my go-to rifle for anything in the lower 48. Use the extra money (should be around $700) for a nice Zeiss scope.
Old February 13, 2013, 04:09 PM   #14
jmr40

With a $1,000 budget, Winchester EW. Street price should be just under $1,000. This gets you true CRF and a quality stock instead of the cheap tupperware versions sold by everyone else. Best buy in a do it all gun.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...relBlack+Synth
Old February 13, 2013, 06:31 PM   #15
mitranoc

Quote:
I am not a fan of plastic parts on bolt action rifles so that rules out some possible good choices for me.
Synthetic is definitely my first choice, but I will still consider wood. I don't want to limit my choices on choosing a great rifle because of stock selection.

George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 06:33 PM   #16
mitranoc

Quote:
Tikka T3 stainless in 308, has become my go-to rifle for anything in the lower 48. Use the extra money (should be around $700) for a nice Zeiss scope.
Are you using it's stock trigger?

George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 06:36 PM   #17
mitranoc

Quote:
If you have a large gun store you should go and handle as many as you can to determine which you like best. Good luck and be sure to post what your choice was and how it shoots!
Have a gun show this weekend, and going to check out Gander's huge selection. Will definitely post what I purchase...with a range report.

George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 06:54 PM   #18
souther33

I have many deer rifles and I would say my favorite is a
Browning A-bolt I love the gun and you can adjust the weight of the trigger 2-6 lbs. it is very accurate and you can have the Option to get the boss muzzle brake on it witch will allow you to fine tune you ammo. But the one problem with it is that you cannot Disassemble the bolt that I know of.
if you get the stain less and camo stock mine came out to be around 1000 that is if you get stain less and camo. a friend got a used one for 550

Last edited by souther33; February 13, 2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old February 14, 2013, 03:32 AM   #19
Revoliver

Ruger (tactical) model 77 hawkeye in .308. I have their Tactical Hawkeye and am extremely happy with it.

or Ruger's new guide gun in .30-06. These are brand new so I don't know if anyone's put one through the paces.

Last edited by Revoliver; February 14, 2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:02 AM   #20
Brotherbadger

I'm a huge fan of the new Winchester model 70s.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:11 AM   #21
BIG P

Another for an older 700 BDL in 270
Old February 14, 2013, 11:15 AM   #22
PTS1

Another vote for the Wincester extreme weather. Good stock, trigger, crf, and good weight (not too heavy or light). Expensive at about a grand, but like the old saying goes, buy once, cry once.
Old February 14, 2013, 07:08 PM   #23
ttheel

I am kind of an x-bolt guy myself. They have very nice features, are very lightweight and are accurate out of the box. Can't go wrong with a Winchester model 70 either.
Old February 15, 2013, 02:38 PM   #24
Picher

I'd buy another T3 Lite. Trigger is easily adjusted without disassembly and it's very good. Ergonomics of the stock are much better than most. I like the palm swell too. Action is smooth as butter and the magazines feed well. It's my go-to rifle these days. Being a .243 Win, I don't often use it for long-range deer hunting, but is great to carry and use for coyotes beyond 300 yards.

Accuracy is 5/8" 5-shot groups at 100 yards. Mine has a 3-9X Leupold VX2 with wider small crosshairs than the ones in the regular multi-plex. The model number has a "W" after it.

Sorry, I just can't find anything wrong with my T3 to talk about.
Old February 15, 2013, 05:49 PM   #25
mapsjanhere

Quote:
Are you using it's stock trigger?
Yes, haven't seen any need to mess with it, breaks nice and clean with a "hunting" resistance. Couple ounces of resistance is nice if you're sitting in a blind, but after running up and down the hills after an elk I need something that goes off when I want, not when I breeze hard.