The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old April 14, 2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Mike / Tx

WHeew finially done....

Well with the hard part anyway.

I blended up around 60# of 1.5/1.5/97 alloy on Thursday. That was something in of it's self. It's always nice when company shows up right in the middle of something. Well I didn't even slow down. I just kept right on getting on with it and talking over my shoulder as I went.

I cleaned up molds Friday evening so as to be ready for a good session first thing Saturday morning. I fired the pot and hot plate up just about 7 a/m on the money and by 10'ish I was sitting under the living room fan cooling off. I poured up a ....PILE of bullets for sure. Somewhere in the neighborhood of around 25-30# of the MP 45 270 SAA HP's for me, David here on the board to try out, and my hunting bud who is also wanting one of these molds REAL bad. But that wasn't all I poured, I also threw out around 10# of the MP 359-640 HP's, and around 10# of the MP 452-200 HP's.

I figured that should keep me for a while, but then this morning I was reading a couple of the boards, and well got up and went out and poured up a combined batch of about 10# of the MP 452-640 with both the LG and SM HP's, and then finished off what I had left in the pot, and sprue can with about 5# of the MP 411-258 with Penta HP's. THose MP molds sure are cool when you can pour up more than one bullet type at the same time. GEEZE I sure hate it, I'm still on 2 or 3 more group buys for those things.

SOoo Beagle you had better get on it bud, I'm getting caught up pretty quick. Oh yea, those lil "Turtle Busters" don't really count, they would almost fit inside the HP's on some of what I poured this weekend.

LOL just yankin your chain bud, but I think I may have caught up and possibly might have passed you up in two days worth.......

man I wished I had a working camera.......
Old April 14, 2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Beagle333

'Sounds like you had a marathon pour going on! I didn't get to cast this weekend. It rained all day today, and yesterday I went and met my buddy who brought me my supplies of primers and powder that I needed to continue this great hobby. But I did load a bunch of 125gr RN for the wife to shoot in her .38 while I watched it rain. And I ran some tests with the 358665 vs the 358429 HPs on some water filled cans. Testing isn't finished, but it looks like it might be inconclusive, as both of em make the can explode into a big flat piece of tin.
I can't hang with the mega size boolits with the cavernous HPs, all I got is .357 molds, and only one is 4 cav.
But don't underestimate the power of the Turtle Buster! Slow and steady wins the race!
And don't forget, I'm a bus driver. 28 more days and I got 3 months of casting time! You better stock up while you can if you wanna stay ahead in the count!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old April 15, 2013, 03:58 AM   #3
Mike / Tx

Quote:
And don't forget, I'm a bus driver. 28 more days and I got 3 months of casting time! You better stock up while you can if you wanna stay ahead in the count!
Well I can't argue with that one bit there bud. Three months off work and I would be broke. Just too many projects to get done and not enough time or money to get them going. LOL In fact this was a great weekend to get some pouring done and get caught up on it. To be honest, even with the sweat, and back hurting, it was a fun time.