The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2013, 06:35 AM   #1
Skarekrow88

FMJ Bullet for .45LC Reloading

I did a little searching and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, but sorry if these questions have already been answered.

New to reloading and I'm about to start reloading .45LC for my Taurus Judge with a Lee Loader, but I really don't want to use lead rounds. I would like to use a round nose or flat nose (doesn't matter which) FMJ bullet. Anyone have any recommendations? Are there any FMJ bullets intended to be used in .45LC cases? If not, would any FMJ intended for .45acp (or any other .45 caliber bullet) be OK to reload in .45LC cases? Is there anything I need to know about doing this as opposed to using lead? Extra steps? Precautions I need to take?
Old April 4, 2013, 06:48 AM   #2
TimSr

I'm not sure why you would want a FMJ in 45LC, but I think a few companies such as Speer, Hornady offer like one bullet choice. If you want Semi Jacketed ammo, they make a whole range. Generally jacketed ammo for 45ACP is .451", and for LC is .452". Awful expensive for punching holes in paper though. Quality 255gr SWC cast bullets are awesome for 45C for paper punching, and shoot very accurrately, and are the most inexpensive way to go.
Old April 4, 2013, 10:50 AM   #3
Ruger45LC

I've shot quite a few 230gr FMJ in the .45 Colt. I would stick to relatively normal loads though, as there's no cannelure on the bullet for grip under heavy recoil. I don't recall any specific load data, but you could use 250gr data if you have a hard time finding any for the 230gr, or split the difference between 200gr and 250gr data.
Old April 4, 2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Hammerhead

There are JSP's designed for the .45 Colt that have cannelures
You can crimp on the nose of a FMJ if that's all you can find.