The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 10, 2004, 10:30 AM   #1
General_Tso

Size for Day Pack

Hi there, folks.

I'll be antelope hunting in Montana this fall. We'll have a main camp close to where we will be hunting, but I wanted to get a small day pack to carry in the field each day. Anyone have suggestions of what stuff I should be able to throw in there and how big I should go?

I've been thinking about getting this backpack from Cabela's. What do you think?

--Erich

"Now, you know why they call me 'Dirty Harry': Every dirty job that comes along."
Old February 13, 2005, 09:00 PM   #2
Jseime

Keep it simple

i carrry
-wallet + liscences/habitat certificate
-knives
-TP
-Water
-lunch (depending on how far the trip is)
-rope
-spare gloves + touque and the like
(i think that covers it)

i like to keep it simple and not carry a whole lot with me. i dont go very far away from civlization simply because i dont have to. all this could fit in a nice sized dufflebag or backpack
Old February 13, 2005, 10:56 PM   #3
38splfan

Water.

After a year in Iraq I can definitely say that any pack with a Camel-Bak or similar water bladder would be a very good choice. They are infinitely convenient, and most have soem storage space. If you look around, you can find slightly larger packs with a pocket for a water bladder. Many also offer hands-free drink tubes for them.
No matter how you carry your water, though, allow some exra space. You never know what might turn up when hunting away from home. Definitely allow for a camera and binoculars. Also, check out the Powerebar-type energy bars. Chances are you will be hunting in higher elevations than you are used to, and will be working VERY hard while walking/stalking. Those bars are great for a quick pick-me-up.
You might check around surplus stores for the newer style M.O.L.L.E assault pack. Plenty of room and comfortable to carry.
Old February 14, 2005, 07:29 PM   #4
buzz meeks

Where in Montana will you be putting in for? Weather here can change with lethal speed and you should always have some clothing in reserve. Are you guided? How close to a vehicle will you be? Is this strictly a walk-in hunt? A lot of our antelope country is laced with prickly pear cactus and some hunters I know bring along knee and elbow pads. I just take needle nose pliers to clean up the aftermath. Always buy a bigger pack than you need. That's the best advice I can give. And I second the hydration pack idea. They have changed the face of my hunting.