The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 3, 2001, 12:16 AM   #1
Tom A

Where can I find pressure profiles?

As part of learning the reloading trade, I thought it might be interesting to look at plots or tables of pressure(PSI) vs. time for some common rifle cartridges and powders, say .30-06 and IMR4064. It would be especially interesting to see when the pressure peaks occur for fast and slow powders and light and heavy bullets.

Has anyone seen information like that anywhere (or maybe have some stashed away somewhere)?
Old July 3, 2001, 01:57 AM   #2
Archie

Pressure profiles...

What you want requires special equipment.

Oehler Laboratories makes such equipment. The whole kit is a couple grand. (Haven't looked for a couple years....)

There is a book called "Pressure Factors in Firearms" by Wolfe press that make give you some answers. Not your direct answer, but what influences pressure and how it is calculated.

If you live in the L. A. basin area, contact me. I do have a rudimentary pressure meter you might find useful.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old July 4, 2001, 12:31 AM   #3
Tom A

Archie,

Thanks for the kind offer - but I'm way up here in the Northlands of the Wonder State.

I seem to recall the Oehler system used a strain gauge? For that I think you need chamber/barrel dimensions, elasticity of the steel (was that Young's modulus?), and using the observed "stretch" of the barrel calculate pressure - an indirect measurement.

Seems like a more direct measure using piezoelectric transducers would be more accurate - and that someone somewhere must have already done it.

I'll see if I can find that book you mentioned...