The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 26, 2014, 01:50 PM   #1
Shriner81

Concealed carry certification online?

Just wondering if anyone else has seen/heard and or completed a course online for a concealed carry. Onlinegunschool.com is offering certification in less than 2 hours for 50 bucks I believe. I'm somewhat skeptical though and worried of a scam so I wanted to reach out and see what you guys might know. I'm located in Oregon btw
Old January 26, 2014, 02:17 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

My state requires the NRA Basic Pistol course or equal. That's a minimum of 8 hours (which is also required by our statute) and must include live fire. By statute, NRA First Steps or Handgun safety are NOT acceptable.

The official Oregon web site says one of the prerequisites is "6. Demonstrates competence with a handgun per ORS 166.291(f).' That can be found here: http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.291

Section (f) says:

Quote:
Demonstrates competence with a handgun by any one of the following:
(A) Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(B) Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(C) Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(D) Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(E) Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

(F) Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or

(G) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course;
I'll leave it to forum members from Oregon to offer an opinion as to whether or not a 2-hour, on-line "clourse" satisfies any of the above. Their site says they guarantee that their certificate is accepted by every Oregon county sheriff's office. Should be easy enough to verify with a phone call.
Old January 26, 2014, 04:08 PM   #3
Shriner81

Thank you very much, appreciate you sharing that information. I'll give my local sheriffs office a call and see what they think. Does IDPA count as organized competitive shooting?
Old January 30, 2014, 01:21 AM   #4
StrangeBird1911

I took an online course to satisfy the requirements for Oregon carry license. The deputy who handled my paperwork didn't bat an eye. The course was useful, so long as you understand that you need additional training and practice to be safe while carrying. It's on you to get that.
Old January 30, 2014, 11:33 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

Handgunlaw.us ....

I'd check into www.handgunlaw.us . It's a free database of laws/training requirements/offices/etc.
It's updated often & very concise. I've used it for many years.

To my limited knowledge the Commonwealth of VA allows for a online CCW test but I'm not sure if it can apply to non residents.
Old January 31, 2014, 10:56 AM   #6
Gaerek

You can get an Arizona CCW completely online and out of state. There used to be a marksmanship requirement, but not anymore. If you're just looking for a permit, it can't get much easier than this one. The biggest problem is Arizona doesn't have the best reciprocity due to having lower requirements for the permit. Actually, I think the reason why Nevada removed us from their reciprocity list was the fact that you can do the class online now. But what's the point in having stricter requirements when you don't even need a permit to carry in AZ?

Not endorsing this company as I don't know anything about them one way or another, but they offer an online/self study course that meets AZ's requirements.

http://www.azccwclasses.com/az-ccw-online-course.html

Tags
concealed carry , oregon