The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 19, 2000, 02:07 PM   #1
slymule

Has anybody had the opportunity to try out these new bullets that Federal has out? I have a Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag and thought I'd try to find out what you guys think of them. So far haven't even been able to locate any in my area, so you might also let me know who stocks them and what price their going for. Thanks.
Old February 19, 2000, 05:00 PM   #2
Robert the41MagFan

Slymule,

Have not used Federal ammunition, but I have used the same bullets that Federal uses. They are from a company called Cast Performance Bullets, they are from Wyoming. Those bullets have proven to be very accurate. Federal is loading those same bullets almost to full pop. If you wish to really unleash that Redhawk, go to Garrett or Buffalo Bore. They both make +P 44 Magnum ammunition that will unlock the full potential of the Ruger.

Robert
Old February 19, 2000, 06:57 PM   #3
Randy Garrett

Slymule,

Although they are a competitor of our's, I like the Federal Cast-Core 44 Magnum load. It's a very good choice for those guys in particular that shoot the lever-action carbines or clip fed autos, as the overall cartridge length is kept short enough for those actions. For those guys shooting revolvers, our weight-forward cast bullet designs extends the bullet noses to the full length of the cylinder throats and thereby allows shallower seating, leaving more room for gunpowder. Our 310-grainer works at the same chamber pressure as the Federal, but due to the advantage of our longer weight-forward bullets, we get about 100-fps higher velocity than the 300-gr Federal Cast-Core. If you are shooting a Redhawk or Super Redhawk we have a load with an even longer nose bullet to take advantage of the longer cylinder (and additional strength) of those guns. It's a 330-grainer and does 1385-fps from 7 and 1/2 inch barrels. Neither of our 44 Magnum loads will function in lever-actions or clip fed autos.
www.garrettcartridges.com
Old February 19, 2000, 09:50 PM   #4
slymule

Randy, I've already decided to use your rounds for when we go packing back in on our mules. The main use for this gun will be for bear protection and if I decide to do any big game hunting with it in the future. I wasn't planning on shooting alot of them - sorry, don't want to have to find a job , but just enough to find out POI and what the recoil is like,and the rest I would hoard for special occasions and to keep that .44 loaded and handy. The reason why the question on the Federal ammo was because I'm looking for something that I can shoot alot of and practise with which will be somewhat comparable to your stuff for POI, but will be cheaper and not have the recoil that I'm imagining yours will have. I guess you can probably best answer that question. This is my first .44 mag, so I'm not sure how I'm going to find I like the recoil. Who knows I may find great joy in shooting those big bucking rounds. Since your "the man" in the know, what practise rounds shoot close to the same POI as the 2 rounds that you offer? Remember - cheap, easy recoil that will allow alot of practise, and the same or close POI. I might add I had no idea what grain bullets Federal was offering up in their loads, I was just figuring both being cast bullets they would probably be somewhat comparable for POI.
Old February 20, 2000, 01:21 AM   #5
Randy Garrett

Slymule,

POI for the 300-grain Cast-Core is about the same as our 310-grainer and 330-grainer. Our 330-grainer produces significantly more recoil due to the greater power, but the POI is about the same due to the shorter barrel time (higher velocity). Regarding cost, our stuff is pretty expensive, but the Cast-Cores sell for about the same price around here, so neither can be called budget ammo. If you don't handload, you might see if CCI still markets a 240-grain Blazer load. If they do it should be considerably less expensive. Since the primary purpose of your gun will be bear defense, I think you will find that most full power loads, with the exception of 180-grainers and such, will produce very similar POI at defensive shooting distances.

Best regards, Randy Garrett www.garrettcartridges.com
Old February 20, 2000, 02:07 AM   #6
slymule

Thats the information I was looking for Randy. Appreciate your input. Hey, your not like Red Lobster are you? You know...where a guy can order the "sampler platter" and get a box that has both the 310gr. and the 330gr. bullets, that way a guy can try them both and see which one is sweeter.
Old February 21, 2000, 11:46 AM   #7
Brent

You can get the Federal cartridges at www.wholesalehunter.com. Look for stock number #FEDEP44E.
Old March 1, 2000, 10:45 PM   #8
Joey

Was just reading about the Winchester Partition Gold in Handguns, they are using the Nosler partition 250gr bullet. How does this compare to the other factory loadings??

Wish it was possible to get 20rd boxes of Garretts ammo. But then a TFL discount would be rather nice also
Old March 2, 2000, 10:13 PM   #9
THE .41 MAN

Sly, I use the Federals quit a bit. In fact, I've got something on the order of 13 boxes left. I also use the Cast Performance 250 and 265gr GC bullets in my .41s. I have to do this because Randy won't load any:^D The bullets from Penny's in Kalifornia, Mt. Baldy in South Dakota, BRP in Colorado, and Beartooth in Idaho are all good bullets. RKBA!...

------------------
THE .41 MAN
HAVE MORE FUN WITH A .41
Old March 2, 2000, 10:45 PM   #10
Randy Garrett

Joey:

For guys looking for the best in expanding bullet ammo for the 44 Magnum, the Winchester 250-grain Partition Gold is a super choice. Of the expanders that I have tested, and I believe I have tested them all, the 250-grain Partition Gold is the deepest penetrating, and a general lack of penetration is the most serious shortcoming of expanding bullets in general. The Partition Gold also presents the most lethal front end of the various expanders, presenting a very broad flatnose shape as opposed to the more conventional mushroom shape, which is basically just an enlarged roundnose. If I wanted a good expanding bullet for the 44 Magnum, I would use the Partition Gold even though it is lighter than many. Ultimately, if weight does not contribute to penetration, it offers no advantages. Interestingly, the Winchester loading doesn't go all that fast, doing about 1250-fps. However, impact-effect is a better measure of performance than generated power is, and the 250-grain Partition Gold performs very reliablypartly due to the fact that it is not driven beyond its inherent strength.

Having said all these complementary things about the Partition Gold, I would also say that it is not a good choice for elk, moose, or big bears, as it, like all expanders in the caliber, lack the kind of bone-busting penetration required for the really big stuff.

41 MAN: the 41 is a good caliber indeed, but there just aren't enough guys out there shooting that caliber to make it worth our while to build a custom load for it. However, you are well armed with the Federal Cast-Core load for it. It's a good penetrator, offers excellent bluntness, and is quite accurate.

Best regards, Randy Garrett www.garrettcartridges.com
Old March 2, 2000, 10:52 PM   #11
THE .41 MAN

Thanks Randy, that's what Winchester says when I pester them for a 250gr. .410 Partition Gold bullet. Yet, they load one for the .45 Winchester Magnum? How many folks hunt with one of those? I guess I'll have to swage my own:^) RKBA!

------------------
THE .41 MAN
HAVE MORE FUN WITH A .41