The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 8, 2012, 08:49 AM   #1
PT-92

Longest Period of Time Able to Resist?

I have been eyeing a Glock 26 for a year now and don't think I can hold out much longer, in particular, around Christmas...My discipline is truly being tested. Have you guys ever been able to successfully resist buying a gun you've had on the top of your list for a while (plz tell me I'm not alone ).

Old December 8, 2012, 08:53 AM   #2
bikerbill

Been agonizing about buying a Smith 625 for more than a year ... Just started the process of selling one of my guns to try and raise the money for it ... being retired is fun, but it does limit your supply of play money ...
Old December 8, 2012, 08:58 AM   #3
mrt949

Looked hard at seecamps for years .Owned all the kel tecs p11,p 32 & p3at great guns .Sold them and got the seecamp .
HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Last edited by mrt949; December 8, 2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old December 8, 2012, 09:42 AM   #4
PT-92

bikerbill,

I hear that! I have also wanted that very same .45acp revolver for years (too rich for my blood)...It's a classic Smith in every way.

Heck, even the S&W Governor which is also chambered for .45acp is BIG $$$ and the Taurus equivalent accepts only .45LC. So for now I will continue to use my semi's (and one carbine) for the .45acp fun.

Old December 8, 2012, 10:27 AM   #5
AK103K

Quote:
Have you guys ever been able to successfully resist buying a gun you've had on the top of your list for a while (plz tell me I'm not alone ).
Youre not alone.

As far as the 26, I think I lasted about a day once I figured I wanted one, now I have three.

Quote:
Been agonizing about buying a Smith 625 for more than a year ...
Me too, except Ive been looking for a nice 4" 25 in 45 Colt. Almost bought one on Gunbroker this week. Unfortunately, someone else wanted it worse than me.
Old December 8, 2012, 10:37 AM   #6
zombieslayer

I haven't bought a gun all year.
Been shootin up my ammo, and diverting more money to investing.
Been enjoying just shooting. Besides, I have a gun for any occasion.
Since I laid off gun buying, I now have a nice complete set of Peace dollars to keep my guns company.
Happy Holidays to you all!
Old December 8, 2012, 10:53 AM   #7
Bob Wright

Most of my life has been spent trying to keep my "wants" level and "ability" levels about equal.

The ability to tinker with my guns, that is, have an on-going project while building up my wherewithall has been of some grace to me. By the time I finish a project, my funds have escalated.

Bob Wright
Old December 8, 2012, 11:17 AM   #8
Cheapshooter

Hi, my name is Bob, and I'm a guaholic!
It's been a long six months now, but mostly not because of personal dedication to controlling my habit. The reason has mostly been the needs for funds for my daughter's wedding back in October.
Now that that is over, and the bills are paid I can get back to my wayward ways. Been really thinking about an LCR for quite a while. Then there's that Charter Bulldog I've wanted forever. Now with the possibility of magazine capacity restrictions a CZ SP01 Phantom is rapidly ascending to the top of the list. I don't have any CZ75 varients, just milsurp CZ's like a 50, 52, and 82. Besides, 9MM's are like jello. Ya always have room for more. Also on my short list is a Taurus (I know, and no comments from the Peanut Gallery please) 992 22 LR/ 22 Mag. If a 4" Stainless ever pops up at a LGS, or gun show my wagon ride is over!!! Last, well maybe not really last, for some odd reason I've really taken a liking to the Ruger Charger. A completely unexplained desire for an equally unnecessary addition!
Gotta go now, I think there's a sale at a LGS, a gun show going on, and I've got a few bucks in Club Cabella's points that could bring down the price of that LCR they have for fifty bucks off!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 8, 2012, 11:43 AM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
Have you guys ever been able to successfully resist buying a gun you've had on the top of your list for a while (plz tell me I'm not alone ).
Lack of money means that most of the guns on the top of my list get successfully resisted.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 8, 2012, 01:54 PM   #10
PT-92

Quote:
lee n. field

Lack of money means that most of the guns on the top of my list get successfully resisted...
Won't really help your predicament per se, but you're not alone my friend !

Happy Holidays,
Old December 8, 2012, 02:03 PM   #11
chadio

Yes - I've been able to resist buying several handguns that I plan to own one day....

1911 (always will be fond of them after my Navy experience) I've wanted one since 1993

Ruger Single Six (my dad taught me to shoot) Wanted one since I was 10 yrs old ... 35 yrs ago

Beretta 92FS (wanted one since 1992)
Old December 8, 2012, 04:12 PM   #12
Sparks1957

When one really captures my attention, I rarely can wait more than a day or two... unless it's unavailable through the local shops or Bud's.
Old December 8, 2012, 06:42 PM   #13
wpsdlrg

I have been resisting the temptation to buy a CZ75b for years. I probably never will buy one, as I like the pistols I have now so much.

I'm not sure what you want here.....what you want from us. If you REALLY want a Glock 26.....get one. If not, don't. If you want a Glock more than another that you already have, then sell off the other....and get the Glock.

As for "resisting" a Glock 26, or any other Glock....that's easy for ME. I NO likee Glockies ! I'd rather buy a rock.
Old December 9, 2012, 01:29 PM   #14
Venom1956

I had to save/wait for a very long time to buy my Dan Wesson Valor. seven years? three of them until I turned 21 then another four until I had enough pennies to get it. The next one came much quicker!

But my Valor is much more special to me.

Just remember there will always be one for sale somewhere... and don't sweat it if you have to wait awhile to find that perfect deal.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 9, 2012, 01:48 PM   #15
Ozzieman

Beretta 8000 for 2 years?
Does it count if you were living in Europe for those two years?

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old December 9, 2012, 02:41 PM   #16
Venom1956

it totally counts.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 9, 2012, 02:59 PM   #17
Tactical Jackalope

Never, I could always say. Any gun I want that's just over 1k...I can, and will eventually get.

Now something like a Nighthawk Custom or Wilson Combat. That's just different.

Get it. I'm the other voice in your head. Get the 26.
Old December 9, 2012, 06:22 PM   #18
PT-92

Quote:
Constantine

...Get it. I'm the other voice in your head. Get the 26...
LOL .

It will happen it's just a matter of time...

-Happy Holidays
Old December 9, 2012, 06:29 PM   #19
PT-92

Quote:
Today, 12:29 PM #14
Venom1956

I had to save/wait for a very long time to buy my Dan Wesson Valor. seven years? three of them until I turned 21 then another four until I had enough pennies to get it. The next one came much quicker!

But my Valor is much more special to me.

Just remember there will always be one for sale somewhere... and don't sweat it if you have to wait awhile to find that perfect deal.
Great commentary here Venom1956!

I have really enjoyed the feedback by you guys in this thread (wasn't even sure I successfully articulated the matter).

-Happy Holidays
Old December 9, 2012, 06:57 PM   #20
BigShep85

My gun was a Ruger 45lc Birdshead with the old large frame capable of handling all 45lc loads. I waited 3 years for the right gun. Most were so overpriced (IMHO) and I couldnt bring myself to pay an outrageous price for one not to mention they RARELY even came up for sale! It seemed I was always just a day late and a dollar short when one popped up somebody snatched it up. So I waited until I found one for a price I wanted to pay and I now own one and will hopefully get to pass that one on to the kids.
The snub is not a sporting handgun, it's a weapon. It's this vaguely sinister nature that draws us to it. It is power... power that can be held in the hand and wielded without mercy, if need be. It is simultaneously appealing and appalling.

If you won't trust me with my guns why should I trust you with my freedom?
Old December 9, 2012, 07:22 PM   #21
Tinner666

Quote:
Lack of money means that most of the guns on the top of my list get successfully resisted.
This has worked well for me to be able to resist, sometimes for years at a time.
Old December 9, 2012, 09:26 PM   #22
Jay24bal

Remington 1911 Stainless For Me...

The most recent gun I had my eye on for a while was the Remington 1911 R1 Stainless. I wanted one from the moment they came out. I had handled the regular 1911R1 and loved the feel of it, and it fit the bill perfectly IMO for a rather basic 1911 with better sights than GI style sights.

Well, between none of my local guys being able to order one and the lack of funds (we had to replace both our vehicles in an eight month span) I had to wait for a little over a year.

Last time I ventured into my LGS, I was told that their distributor had some in stock! It took me all of 5 seconds to pull out my wallet and it is currently on order. It is supposed to be in the week before Christmas, and needless to say I can't wait.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old December 9, 2012, 09:54 PM   #23
JWT

Wait? Hey, ya gotta strike while the iron is hot.
Old December 9, 2012, 11:52 PM   #24
405FileFound

What are you waiting for!

DUD!E!
People "eyeball" a mint condish Colt Python, or Winchester Model 1860 Wild West Gun, or a Custom Tuned 1911 .38 Super... um, cuz these are EXPENSIVE and rare type guns! No body eyeballs a Glock 26, I mean theyre all over the place, nothing exotic about it - its a very ubiquitous handgun.

Walk over the gun shop with your purchase permit and slap down your four bills or whatever it costs, and return home 20 mins later with your boxed-up Glock 26. You'll feel much better. JUST BUY IT!
Old December 9, 2012, 11:54 PM   #25
Prof Young

Got the $$$

Shooters:
I've got the $$$ set aside for a Beretta FS92. Haven't bought yet as I spend the academic year in Indiana but my permanent address is in IL. May take the plunge over Christmas break, but for sure at the start of next summer.

I think next on the list after that will be a Henry Lever Rifle chambered for 22LR. I have a Henry Golden Boy in 45C and really enjoy it.

Live well, be Safe
Prof Young