The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 14, 2013, 04:04 PM   #1
AK71

Buyer Beware

As someone new to guns, I feel I'm an easy target in this stressed marketplace. Assuming I've done my due diligence in selecting the gun I want to buy, what should I look for when I actually find that gun in a gun shop or online? What questions should I ask about it?

At this time I'm primarily looking at handguns if that makes a difference.
Old March 14, 2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Well, for starters, if you're looking at revolvers, check out THE REVOLVER CHECKOUT - 10 year anniversary update.
Old March 14, 2013, 04:10 PM   #3
AK71

Awesome start and I am looking for a revolver - thank you!
Old March 14, 2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

My pleasure and welcome to TFL!
Old March 16, 2013, 12:16 PM   #5
AK71

So is there anything similar to Spats revolver info for semis? I'm having to learn a ton of things just to understand half of it...
Old March 16, 2013, 05:45 PM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

I do not know of any "check-it-out checklist" for semis like that one for revolvers. The closest things like that of which I am aware are on other sites, but if you're new to guns, they should be educational.

1) The High Road: Trigger Mechanisms; A Guide to What's What

and one of my personal favorites:

2) Buyer's guide for all you 1911 addicts...

Also, if you find something that interests you, don't hesitate to post questions about it in the appropriate forum. Unless it's an extremely rare model, someone around here will have owned, traded, shot, or handled one and may be able to give you an educated opinion. Then there are guys like me who will give you totally uneducated opinions. (I'll always warn the reader if it's an uneducated opinion, though.)
Old March 18, 2013, 08:42 AM   #7
Skans

My advice to anyone looking to buy a gun, any gun, is WAIT! Buy good used guns, but wait. Prices will drop. You may have to wait up to a year, however. But, patience will be rewarded.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:09 PM   #8
Gaerek

If you've done your homework, and you're buying a new gun, you really shouldn't have too much to worry about. Most are going to be covered under warranty, so if you do get a lemon, the company should make it right. Basically, as long as you've done your research, and you're buying a gun with a good reputation made by a company with a good reputation, your chances of getting the proverbial shaft should be pretty low.

Buy used is a bit more of a gamble. Most used guns at your LGS will likely have been checked out by the gunsmith. A reputable LGS won't sell anything they think is low quality, damaged, or whatever, without mentioning the problems. Buying online or from a third party, as a newer person can be somewhat problematic. The best thing to do is to bring someone along that knows what they're doing. Eventually, you'll get better at knowing what you're looking at.

My recommendation, and this is only for a newer shooter, is to only buy guns from a reputable LGS. Don't buy third party, or used online, until you know what you're doing. Although problems are going to be rare, I just wouldn't risk it.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:12 PM   #9
jrz_dad

just do your research AHEAD of time and not while you are standing there in front of the dealer - ask questions of others - forums like this one are an excellent place to get the info...