The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 23, 2000, 10:15 AM   #1
sgtar15

I currently reload only for my .223 AR-15, and have a few questions about primer differences. I have loaded Varget and Reloaders 15 with standard and magnum SRP with out noticing any diffence. When I use ball powder, H335 & BLC-(2), I notice a big difference. The magnum primers work much better, I am assuming do to the hotter flash.
I have not used benchrest primers yet.
My questions:
1. Do magnum primers raise pressure?
2. Do primer brands make a difference in accurateccy?
3. How are benchrest primers different than standard and magnum?
4. Is it better to use different types of primers with different types of powder?

Thanks in advance, any info would be appreciated.

sgtar15
Old June 23, 2000, 10:47 AM   #2
TexasRusty

1. Yes. I have been told that they do. I have never experimented with the same load using a mag and a standard primer.
2. Yes. Some are more consistent in ignition than others. The more consitent you can be from load to load the better your accuracy.
3. Don't know. But my guess would be that the mfg's try to make them more consitent. The people that I know that have tried BR primers have not gotten any better accuracy.
4. Yes. Ball powders are ignite than extruded powders. For this reason it is recomended to use a mag primer with ball powders.

My personal load for my AR is 24.0 gr of AA2230, a federal standard small rifle primer, winchester 55gr FMJBT and LC brass. I can get better than MOA out of this load most of the time.

Hope this helps
Rusty
Old June 23, 2000, 11:13 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Answers to your questions....

1. Yes. They can raise pressures markedly by causing more of the powder charge to ignite sooner.

It's never a good idea to use magnum primers with heavy charges of fast burning powders.

2. Yes, there can be a significant effect. You'll have to experiment to find what works best in your rifle. Going to this level of accuracy testing can be quite time consuming.

3. Much greater care taken in manufacturing, just as with match ammo. The emphasis is on absolute repeatability, which is seen in the higher price.

4. Yes, slow burning powders like 296, and the really slow burning IMR and Hodgdon powders really require a magnum primer to perform to their best level.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.
Old June 24, 2000, 01:44 AM   #4
sgtar15

Thanks guys.

TexasRusty, I am going to try that load. The best I have found so far is L/C brass(trimmed to 1.75)/H335 powder @ 26.6gr/Winchester Mag primers/Sierra 52gr HPBT match bullets?OAL 2.245....I use this load as my target load and get 1/2 moa.

For regular loads I use BLC-2 @ 25.5gr and cheap 55gr Rem bullets, every thing else the same. With this load I get about 1" moa.

------------------
ALL CRIMES ARE HATE CRIMES.

SGTAR15