The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 16, 2010, 12:03 PM   #1
pacerdude

EAA Windicator???

Ok guys I don't own any revolvers, and my handgun experience is limited to semi-autos (ie. Glocks, M&Ps, Sigmas, Rugers, Taurus etc...). I have been looking into getting a revolver as my next handgun (I am only in my 20's so my collection is not extensive).

I know that Rugers and S&Ws are great, long-lasting, reliable revolvers. However recently I have been browsing online, and in my local gunshop and have come across several EAA Windicator revolvers in 38spl for roughly $300.

The guy at the gunshop said that EAA makes pretty good semi-auto pistols, but that he had no knowledge of their revolvers. He told me that he hadn't heard positive or negative reviews of their revolvers.

My question is this, what do you guys think of the EAA Windicator? Is it a bargain at $300, or is it a waste of money?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance!
Old March 16, 2010, 01:56 PM   #2
AcridSaint

I read several reviews that they would shoot themselves out of time with 357 loads, but seemed to work well with 38s. I don't know about the 38spl only guns, never looked into them.

There are some used 38Spl guns that can be had for that price range and there are also new Taurus and Rossi guns in that range. Police trade-in S&W, Colt and Ruger revolvers should all be available in the $300 range.
Old March 16, 2010, 02:15 PM   #3
ohen cepel

I think a used Ruger or Smith for $300 would be a much better buy than the EAA in this case.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old March 16, 2010, 02:44 PM   #4
pacerdude

I figured that for the money a used Smith or Ruger would be a better deal, but I wasnt sure as I had heard nothing of the EAA's. By the way, the revolvers may have been .357mag/.38spl, I don't recall.
Old March 16, 2010, 04:11 PM   #5
Jim March

Many reports of soft metal. Avoid. A used Ruger is worth half a dozen used Windicators.
Old March 16, 2010, 04:20 PM   #6
Webleymkv

A note that EAA doesn't actually manufacture anything. EAA is merely an importer and their guns are made in varying places. The semi-autos your dealer is likely referring to are the EAA Witness line which are manufactured by Tangfolio in Italy. The Windicator revolver is made in Germany by a different manufacturer. I agree with others here that you'd be better off to find a gently used S&W or Ruger revolver than to buy a new Windicator.
Old March 16, 2010, 08:37 PM   #7
dyl

I looked into the Windicator a while ago so I don't remember everything I read.

If i remember, one problem is that the cylinder tends to bind a bit more easily than other revolvers after several shots. The exact number I don't know, perhaps you can find more about that. For some reason the design allows a bit more carbon to build up along the front of the cylinder (maybe not enough support from the rear of the cylinder allows for a larger cylinder gap when firing) so there's friction between the carbon and the forcing cone when it's time for the cylinder to turn with each trigger pull. Some folks would have to wipe down the front of the cylinder every now during a range session to keep it working.

an "iffy" part of my memory is trying to remember whether or not there was an issue with having to play with the cylinder to get it to close right and lock up again.

I handled one at a gun show, it was heavy.
The barrel isn't crowned at all, it's pretty much a sharp edge which for some reason turned me off to it. That, and I didn't really need it to begin with.
Like the other good folk mentioned I would look a bit harder for a used S&W or Ruger which might last you a lifetime - didn't get the impression that was true about the Windicator.
Old March 16, 2010, 09:25 PM   #8
TenRing

I recently looked at a Windicator in my local gun shop. I was browsing and looked out of curiosity. The EAA Windicator seemed to be roughly finished but it had an unusually long grip. If you are just getting into revolvers, the $300 price tag for a .357 magnum might seem tempting. But....

Buy a gun with a good track record of reliability and accuracy. Don't gamble on a cheap import when you can put that money towards a nice used Ruger, Colt or Smith. For a hundred dollars more, you could buy a new Ruger.

That Windicator might not be worth the cost of the ammo to prove it out. Wait until others have taken the plunge and written the reviews on forums. Don't be the guinea pig unless you have an extra $300 laying around that you need to get rid of.
Old March 16, 2010, 09:40 PM   #9
Onward Allusion

I was very close to getting an EAA Windicator in .357 a while back but after a bunch of research and talking with my gunsmith I decided against getting one. The frames are alloy and according to many, including my gunsmith, they are not made for long term .357 use - say a thousand rounds. They seem to be ok for 38 special long term, but I already have several of those in other makes.

Quote:
pacerdude
EAA Windicator???

Ok guys I don't own any revolvers, and my handgun experience is limited to semi-autos (ie. Glocks, M&Ps, Sigmas, Rugers, Taurus etc...). I have been looking into getting a revolver as my next handgun (I am only in my 20's so my collection is not extensive).

I know that Rugers and S&Ws are great, long-lasting, reliable revolvers. However recently I have been browsing online, and in my local gunshop and have come across several EAA Windicator revolvers in 38spl for roughly $300.

The guy at the gunshop said that EAA makes pretty good semi-auto pistols, but that he had no knowledge of their revolvers. He told me that he hadn't heard positive or negative reviews of their revolvers.

My question is this, what do you guys think of the EAA Windicator? Is it a bargain at $300, or is it a waste of money?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance!
Old March 16, 2010, 09:44 PM   #10
Sarge

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Speed_Six.html

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Security_Six.html

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Detective_Spec__OM.html

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Model_10_RB.html
Old March 17, 2010, 02:30 PM   #11
pacerdude

Guys thanks for the responses!

Sarge, thank you for the links!
Old March 17, 2010, 04:20 PM   #12
Pathfinder45

Lots of good choices.....

......but if you're an American, then buy American.
Old March 17, 2010, 11:24 PM   #13
ljnowell

I have an uncle that bought one. It has roughly 200 rounds of 357 mag through it now, and it has not shot itself loose yet. It does, however, have the single worst trigger I have ever felt on a DA revolver. Couple that with a rough operating action in general and its just not a real quality revolver. The machining is very rough, not that that makes it unreliable, but it does show sloppy work. I think its an OK truck gun, or maybe a shoot it a few times and stash it somewhere in the house gun. I have no doubt that it would go off if the trigger is pulled, but the confidence stops about there. He paid 275 for it and offered it to me for 100 bucks less than two months later.
Old March 19, 2010, 11:03 AM   #14
Jkwas

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...6&postcount=24
Old March 19, 2010, 11:16 AM   #15
Microgunner

We sell them. I don't like their cheap appearance.
Old March 19, 2010, 12:47 PM   #16
Cornhusker77

I bought my .357 Windicator for around $250, couldn't resist the price.
It's OK, but not my favorite revolver.
Kinda heavy, pretty stiff springs, the hammer has sharp corners, but all in all, it's been a good gun.
I doubt if I ever carry it, but it might be something I can leave in the pickup.
Old March 28, 2010, 01:08 PM   #17
omahahaha

Cornhusker, Where did you find it? Do you think it is worth getting to primarily shoot 38's out of? Any problems with the ejector pin? Cabela's has them for $250 this week.
Old March 28, 2010, 03:47 PM   #18
Rastus

I actually DID read a review of the Windicator revolver years ago in one of the gun rags. So the model has been around a while. I remember the article saying they (the company marketing the weapon) wanted to use the name "Vindicator" but could not so they went with "Windicator," a non-word, instead. LOL

The review was predictable. The gun worked and was ok for people who couldn't afford a more expensive weapon, blah blah. I agree that a second-hand Smith or Ruger is a better buy.
Old March 28, 2010, 07:38 PM   #19
Cornhusker77

I got mine at Cabela's.
It shoots .38s fine.
It's kinda heavy, too heavy for a carry gun probably, but if you are just looking at some HD or plinking, it's a good gun for that.
So far no problems with the ejector pin, but I have had the cylinder release stick a couple of times, not sure what's going on there.
Old July 13, 2014, 10:15 PM   #20
Doc Holliday 1950

EAA Windicator now

I don't claim to be an expert, but I have been carrying since 1970 when I spent 3 years as a special on my hometown police force. My weapon then was a 4 inch 357 mag.Colt Python. I don't have to say any more on this. Last year I bought an EAA 4" 357 mag Windicator. I've shot approx 1500 rounds from 38+P's to 158 grain 357 mags. The balance was terrific and the recoil was minimal. I have small hands so their rubber grips are perfect for me. Last and most important was the accuracy which was right on. The "experts" say that it can't be very good at the price it sells for.Well, I do not blog for any mfg. or such and I am so supremely confident that I'd trust my life and my wife's with this weapon.
Old July 14, 2014, 06:28 AM   #21
ljnowell

I can give you first hand experience. A good friend and a relative each bought one. Both were shot loose in less than 1k rounds. One of them developed trigger/cylinder binding that made it unshootable. After hours of dealing with EAA he destroyed it and called it a lesson learned. My uncle still has his but can't shoot lead out of it, it spits giant pieces out from being out of time. When shooting jacketed it patterns as opposed to grouping from being so out of time.

Want to guess what his experience was with EAA customer service? LOL.

I wouldn't buy anything from them just for that reason.
Old July 14, 2014, 08:45 AM   #22
g.willikers

The above two replies seem to be par for the course for quite a few manufacturers we could name, and often have.
Inconsistent quality.
It would make sense to inspect each particular gun before buying.
The good one might have just gone out the door with the previous customer.
Old July 14, 2014, 02:21 PM   #23
gyvel

Quote:
The frames are alloy...
Alloy as in Zamak pot metal.

Stay away form any Windicator; They are basically just a rehash of the old Arminius revolvers. (I am being very polite and refraining from calling them a POS.)

Listen to those who say that you can get a decent S&W police trade in for about the same money; You'll be much further ahead.
Old July 14, 2014, 05:12 PM   #24
Bezoar

pray tell where one can get a .357 magnum smith and wesson revolver "police trade in"? the only sw trade ins i can find are all semi auto.
Old July 14, 2014, 05:21 PM   #25
HungryHunter

I bought one when I was younger and cheaper. I only shot .38s out of it though....once again because I was cheap. It held up well for the maybe 300 rounds I put through it. I liked the large grip mostly to tell you the truth. It was nothing special, I enjoyed it, but ended up going toward a trade. Not that anything was ever wrong with it but it was somewhat lackluster. Like I said I never shot it enough that I'd vouch for it, but it wasn't a lemon either.