The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old December 16, 2010, 03:01 AM   #1
bassfishindoc

Lyman 4500 ram misalignment

My Lyman 4500 lubrisizer just came in the mail today. I have heard issues about the ram not aligning properly so I thought I would test mine out. I lowered my ram and I could tell that it was not perfectly centered over the hole where the sizing die goes. I then put in a top punch and matching sizing die. When I lowered the ram the top punch just contacts the right size of the sizing die and will not go into the sizing die. Does this mean my ram is misaligned? Is the top punch supposed to be able to fit into the sizing die? How do I remedy this situation? Thanks in advance for the help!
East Tennessee State University Quillen College of Medicine
Old December 16, 2010, 05:59 AM   #2
zippy13

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, sounds like you got a lemon. Mine is an old Model-450, and I can't force the top punch to deflect enough to hit the die. The top punch and die holders should be dead-on coaxial. Lyman has been making lube/sizers for a long time, you'd think they'd have the process pretty much figured out by now. The remedy is Lyman's problem, don't make it yours. Contact them, or the vendor, for return authorization and instructions.

Good luck
Old December 16, 2010, 08:19 AM   #3
GP100man

If the ram is a bit floppy theres ways to fix alignment issues .

Alignment issues apply to all sizers wether we hear of them or not !

I have 2 450s & I updated the handle toggle system & that took care of the newer 1 but the older 1 still has a little wobble .

I plan on D&Ting some brass screws to push the ram into alignment .

This is ok for older worn sizers ,but I would call Lyman & ask at least .

shippin costs ????

1-800-225-9626
Old December 16, 2010, 09:28 AM   #4
hornady

If this is a new 1400, I would call Lyman, you would not want to void the warranty with a fix that may or may not work for you. They have always treated me right, and fixed the problem.