The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 13, 2009, 07:10 PM   #1
mrt949

Emp Whats The Hype

emp whats the big deal to some people.is it worth the cost.
Old February 13, 2009, 07:30 PM   #2
BanditSRT8

Not hype at all.

Hand fit slide to frame.

Match grade barrel fit.

Crisp, clean trigger.

Insanely accurate.

Production gun built to the quality level you'd expect from a custom or semi-custom for twice the price.

I held off for a bit doubting the gun because of the price, but I jumped for the hell of it. One of the best guns I have ever owned... and I've owned some greats.

It is now pretty much the only gun that will bump my beloved P7M8 from its daily carry spot.
XD9 SC 2 tone | Glock 19 "Cogan Custom" | HK45 | HK P7M8 | HK P30 | Kimber Eclipse Pro II | Springfield EMP | Glock 19 TALO Limited Edition | S&W 1911 Doug Koenig Edition Bi-Tone | EAA Witness Elite "MATCH" | XD40 Service V10 ported "Custom" | Ruger LCP | S&W M&P15 w/EOTech | GSG-5 L | FN FS2000 w/EOTech
Old February 13, 2009, 07:45 PM   #3
troy_mclure

ive been wanting one for a while, its #3 on my gun list.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old February 13, 2009, 07:48 PM   #4
holypaper

Quote:
Not hype at all.

Hand fit slide to frame.

Match grade barrel fit.

Crisp, clean trigger.

Insanely accurate.

Production gun built to the quality level you'd expect from a custom or semi-custom for twice the price.
You left out freakin' gorgeous
Old February 13, 2009, 07:49 PM   #5
RepeatDefender

Nothing against the 9mm (I carry a Kahr PM9 quite often), but if I'm gonna tote a 1911, it will be in .45acp.
Old February 13, 2009, 07:57 PM   #6
David the Gnome

It's not really a 1911 though. It's just a sub-compact 9mm that is based on the 1911 pattern.
Old February 13, 2009, 07:57 PM   #7
mrt949

Looked at them at the shot show next to the micro 45 .side by side did not notice a big difference for the money.
Old February 13, 2009, 08:04 PM   #8
orchidhunter

"is it worth the cost?" no. It's a Minnie Me 1911. orchidhunter
Old February 13, 2009, 10:47 PM   #9
BanditSRT8

mrt: the differences won't likely be all that noticeable from the outside.

Unlike previous micro 1911s that were built as .45ACP pistols rechambered for 9mm, this model was the first 1911 to be built specifically around the 9mm cartridge, hence the tremendous expense in manufacturing. It's never cheap to be the "1st" at anything.

The EMP may be one of the world's few "perfect" pistols. Well, as close to perfect as can reasonably expected.

When you shoot one, you fall in love. The recoil is as low as my P7M8. The muzzle flip is also that low. It is unresonably accurate for its size. What I mean is... we expected it to be dead-on accurate at combat distance, but for a goof we dropped the target against the back wall and it shot a group that I would have only expected from a 5" custom tuned 1911.

Once broken in, it became my newest daily carry piece. It is lightweight, compact, and easy to conceal. All that without the spotty reliability history of the micro .45 1911.

I've said it before, I'll say it again... the price put me off at first, but after jumping in and getting to know the EMP.... I would gladly pay DOUBLE. That's how good it is.
XD9 SC 2 tone | Glock 19 "Cogan Custom" | HK45 | HK P7M8 | HK P30 | Kimber Eclipse Pro II | Springfield EMP | Glock 19 TALO Limited Edition | S&W 1911 Doug Koenig Edition Bi-Tone | EAA Witness Elite "MATCH" | XD40 Service V10 ported "Custom" | Ruger LCP | S&W M&P15 w/EOTech | GSG-5 L | FN FS2000 w/EOTech
Old February 13, 2009, 10:49 PM   #10
BanditSRT8

orchidhunter: Don't speak in such generalities... quantify your statement.

The OP is seriously considering this gun, and needs facts and information, not speculation and BS.

Do you own one? Have you shot one? Why do you feel it is not worth the price?

I have yet to hear from any EMP owner, anything but glowing reports and validation of the cost.
Old February 13, 2009, 11:07 PM   #11
stevewonderful

Last edited by stevewonderful; February 13, 2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old February 13, 2009, 11:21 PM   #12
orchidhunter

BanditSRT8, "emp whats the big deal to some people.is it worth the cost" It don't sound like he is on the way out the door to buy one. It's all SA hype. Those that bought one don't like to admit they made a bad move, on a public forum. Is it worth the cost NO. orchidhunter
Old February 13, 2009, 11:47 PM   #13
BanditSRT8

Again I ask... why do YOU think it's not worth the cost?

Most here will tell you that I am not afraid to speak my mind, and I certainly have no shame in talking about anything on a public forum... besides, who knows me? Why would I be embarrassed? Hell, I bought a damn Kimber, and realized what a stupid mistake that was... and have freely and openly discussed it right here on this forum.

So tell me... why is it not worth the price? And have you ever shot one to actually know? Doubtful.
Old February 14, 2009, 12:13 AM   #14
CDH

Quote:
... "emp whats the big deal to some people.is it worth the cost" It don't sound like he is on the way out the door to buy one. It's all SA hype. Those that bought one don't like to admit they made a bad move, on a public forum. Is it worth the cost NO. orchidhunter
And those who have not bought them and handled them and shot them and carried them have no clue.

I have an early EMP in the "3xx" serial number range, and it's been one of my most "special" pistols among all of them.

Quality of fit and finish, it's freakin' gorgeous, and it feels like an extension of my hand and shoots like a dream. Worth every penny.
The EMP isn't just another smallish 1911; it's a one-of-a-kind design, and no one else offers anything "exactly" like it.
The EMP is NOT in the same class as the ubiquitous compact 1911's. It's totally different, and those who have one understand what I'm talking about.

I originally bought it for daily carry but fell so much in love with it that I ended up not doing so. I want to keep it looking new as long as I have it, and holster wear just ain't gonna' get it with this baby.
In the end when I get old enough to have to start selling off the collection, the EMP will be one of the very last, if not the last, to go.

Those who have them understand. Those who don't will just continue to not have a clue.

Quote:
"is it worth the cost?" no. It's a Minnie Me 1911. orchidhunter
That you believe the EMP to be a "Minnie Me 1911" is proof of your not having personal knowledge of the pistol.
Old February 14, 2009, 01:19 AM   #15
BillCoe

Orchardhunter, have you ever touched one? I haven't either. However, the guy I bought both a Les Baer and a highly accurate Sig SAuer P220 - (West German made model no less) told me that an EMP was the most accurate pistol he'd ever shot. He regretted having sold it.

I'd never heard of one until then. Still haven't touched one. That's about what I know.
Old February 14, 2009, 01:30 AM   #16
WVfishguy

Some one let me shoot their EMP at the range. Good lord, it was sweet. It's pricey, but the folks who have them tell me it's worth it. I'd love to have one.
Old February 14, 2009, 07:04 AM   #17
mrt949

Bandit thank you for your input it you think it is up to hk's hype .i might put it on my short list . you only live once .you get the best you can afford . last year i bought a seecamp 32. never looked back .owned all of .kt/s nna.and beretta.to name a few .you get what you pay fore.
Old February 14, 2009, 08:01 AM   #18
Big Ben

If you don't like the idea of a mini 9mm 1911 then get the 40 cal; I did. This gun is very well made and indeed built around the shorter cartridge. No other 1911 style handgun will fit in the hand and conceal the way the EMP will; period. If you do not like the cost then don't order one; thats fine with the numerous folks out there waiting for this allocated gun.
Old February 14, 2009, 08:15 AM   #19
mrt949

big ben where did you find a 40 .i shoot 40 's in my m@p's thats my option.to keep one caliber for autos thanks in advance
Old February 14, 2009, 02:59 PM   #20
Big Ben

I believe they have one in the case at Atlantic Gun And Tackle in Brecksville; Ohio. Guys are nice and the price is fair; not great but fair.
Springfield EMP (40 cal)...if it ever shows up!
Old February 14, 2009, 03:03 PM   #21
PeterGunn

Quote:
BanditSRT8, "emp whats the big deal to some people.is it worth the cost" It don't sound like he is on the way out the door to buy one. It's all SA hype. Those that bought one don't like to admit they made a bad move, on a public forum. Is it worth the cost NO. orchidhunter
And the flower power keeps on coming...

PeterGunn
Old February 14, 2009, 03:14 PM   #22
Microgunner

This is one slick little carry piece. Even Threegun, who thinks Glocks are the only pistols worth owning, tried to get it from me. It's impressive to carry and shoot.

Old February 14, 2009, 03:25 PM   #23
mrt949

Went to 3 gun shops with in a 70 mile radius no luck 9mm or 40 sw. guess no valentine president for me.i guess i will order a 40.from my local pusher.
Old February 14, 2009, 04:36 PM   #24
Big Ben

I've only seen one in a shop and that's the one I mentioned in the earlier post.
Springfield EMP (40 cal)...if it ever shows up!
Old February 14, 2009, 04:51 PM   #25
mrt949

gun show in melbourne fl next week i will give it a shot