The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 29, 2016, 12:52 PM   #26
FITASC

Quote:
What would be the best way to seal the wood from rain, wet hands and all the other things it will come into contact with?
Oil finishes are nice, but whatever the poly-something is that Browning puts on their shotgun stocks (and I'll assume rifle as well), has got to be a top contender. It is impervious to bug spray, sunscreen, sweat, let alone rain - just coat the whole thing. My gunsmith charges more to redo a Browning stock because that finish is a PITA for him to get off compared to other finishes.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 29, 2016, 06:13 PM   #27
SC4006

I really like oil finishes. My M1 Garand's walnut stock with boiled linseed oil is very nice.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old November 29, 2016, 07:04 PM   #28
Model12Win

I like a nice stripey maple with a glossy oil finish, like on a Hawken gun:

Old November 29, 2016, 07:44 PM   #29
Jim Watson

Maple is for muzzleloaders, walnut is for breechloaders.

Walnut is a good compromise between strength and weight. Any wood much stronger is way denser. Been a lot of enemies buttstroked with walnut.

I have seen some attractive laminates. They don't HAVE to be the garish walnut/birch of the Remington 600 Magnum. Walnut on walnut laminate can be hard to distinguish from grain.

There was once some work done with Accraglas bedding compound as a hard finish.
Old November 29, 2016, 09:25 PM   #30
FrankenMauser

Figure.
Contrast.
Oil finish.

I'm even a fan of knotholes, inclusions, and sapwood - so long as the 'defect' does not compromise the stock.

Character is beauty.
Old November 30, 2016, 05:48 PM   #31
johnwilliamson062

I'm considering teak for a marlin 22lr bolt gun(891 or 981 TS). Should make a nice all weather wood stock. Won't be light though.
Old November 30, 2016, 06:27 PM   #32
Scorch

Quote:
what would be the strongest and most flexible wood to use?
Walnut has all of the properties you need, and it's commercially grown so it's sustainably harvested. There are a lot of woods that are very strong but are hard to work or hard to get hold of a big enough piece to make a stock out of (apple, many nut woods, fruit woods). Tropical hardwoods are nice but are getting harder to get hold of (like Koa or Bubinga). Desert hardwoods are very nice, but since they grow so slow and are not cultivated, they are not sustainable (mesquite and ironwood come to mind). Maple is less dense than walnut but quite strong. Walnut comes in a lot of varieties, which all have their own look and feel. Claro is not a great wood for stocks for anything that has decent recoil, it is not very dense and is relatively soft, but it looks beautiful. Bastogne, French and English walnut tend to be very dense and are quite beautiful, but unfortunately the furniture makers of the world think so too. There are a lot of suitable woods to use for a stock, it doesn't have to be walnut. The prettiest non-traditional stock I ever saw was made of pecan wood, and apple or plum wood has beautiful grain. Just look around and see what there is and make a choice.
Old November 30, 2016, 09:48 PM   #33
FrankenMauser

Desert woods can look amazing and are typically plenty strong for even very heavy recoil.
But they're difficult to find (especially for full-length stocks), expensive, and most are a pain to work with.

Earlier this year, I finished a knotty screwbean mesquite stock set.
The tree my wood came from was cut in the '50s and the company hasn't been able get more gun-quality blanks since the '70s. When the existing supply is exhausted (about 50 blanks), they'll be done with mesquite.
The only other company that I found selling desert wood stock blanks (screwbean mesquite in particular) went out of business in 2015, because they couldn't get permits to harvest any more trees and almost no one was willing to pay the asking price for his remaining "premium" blanks ($1,300 starting price for a blank that'll barely work for a shotgun butt).

Anyway...

My knotty screwbean mesquite was a nightmare to work with.
Varying hardness. Twisted grain. Inclusions. Holes. Absolute pain in the butt.
It's also very dense and very heavy, coming in just shy of ironwood for overall hardness. (Normal screwbean mesquite isn't quite as hard.)

Of course, the knot holes were wanted, but they compounded the problems.

It's what I wanted - stocks that looked like they were made from a fence post - and I do like the end result. But...

Never again.

(Butt plate is not finished.)

Next up is some curly maple with a sapwood inclusion that took $250+ off the value. I hope to have that one done by spring.
(Same scope, different rifle.)

And then on to another piece of figured maple with a -$400 sapwood inclusion - but for a Mauser. (-- No good photos.)
Old November 30, 2016, 11:28 PM   #34
reynolds357

Laminate. Don't hate me.
Old December 1, 2016, 07:56 AM   #35
stevelyn

I prefer synthetic for my working rifles.

For something of a show piece, I like oil finished burl of suitable species.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old December 2, 2016, 12:46 AM   #36
jimbob86

Beautiful Stuff, FM! And functional (correct sight plane for stock to scope)to boot!

What finish did you use?
Old December 2, 2016, 06:15 PM   #37
FrankenMauser

Thanks, jimbob.
That scope was actually only for load development.
The comb was set for iron sights -- Skinner Winged Sights (front sight shown). They're very tall sights and work well with a raised comb.

The finish was Tung oil thinned with mineral spirits, starting very thin, and getting a little more potent as the wood soaked up the oil.
Final coats were Formby's Satin "Tung Oil Finish" (a wiping varnish) mixed with pure Tung oil and mineral spirits.
Knots were treated with the same solutions, but applied via syringe.

I'm not a fan of the sheen - I'd prefer more of a matte finish, which Formby's no longer offers - but I was dumb enough to not test the 'satin' on a piece of scrap before applying it to the stock. Over time, with handling and wear, it should lose a little of the luster and be closer to my goal.
Old December 3, 2016, 12:27 PM   #38
pete2

Nothing beats a nice piece of walnut with a satin finish. The only plastic I own is an AR and I'm not impressed with it, maybe I'll get some walnut for it.
Old December 3, 2016, 10:08 PM   #39
Colorado Redneck

FM--That lever gun is outstanding looking! Really like the color and figure. The grain is so vivid, it does look kinda like it came from a gnarly old fence post, with lots of time invested.
Old December 3, 2016, 10:59 PM   #40
dakota.potts

Here's one that I'm working on now in .30-06. I'll be posting a thread bout it. The color right there is the natural walnut with a little bit of water on it to raise the grain and expose the figure. Right now it's got a coat of polyurethane and 4 coats of hand rubbed oil and it still has a way to go to get a nice high gloss finish.
Old December 4, 2016, 05:18 PM   #41
velocette

'17 Enfield, (US Rifle of 1917) American Walnut, Innumerable coats of Minwax antique oil finish, 0000 steel wool, Burlap, and about 4 months work on the stock, a little more than a year for the metalwork and stock. No power tools used.
Shoots right around one inch with its original GI barrel.

Old December 4, 2016, 07:41 PM   #42
FairWarning

Nothing can replace a beautiful hunk of European walnut to me.

I love the look of the Weatherby Euromark and such, although those types are too precious to bang up in the field.

My Remington 700 Classic has very beautiful wood, without being so luxurious that I won't hunt with it. In fact, it is my primary deer rifle. Only synthetic bolt gun I have thus far is a Savage 10 FCP-K Sniper.