The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 25, 2002, 06:46 PM   #1
RomaRana

Sling swivel studs

Ok, I have the B square jig set to drill the swivel stud holes. But it seems that all the damn studs are a different size than the drill bits I have. For example midway only seems to sell 1" and 7/8" swivel studs. But the bits that came in my kit are :

5/32" pilot bit
#10 counter bore and safty bit
7/32" dia counter bore.

Any ideas? I want to make sure this is right before I start drilling a stock that I have been inletting, glass bedding, and sanding for the last 2 months.
Old July 26, 2002, 07:48 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

RR, the 1" and 7/8" sizes are the loop sizes. The drill sizes you have are the diameters. The instructions with the kit should tell you what size to use for which. The 5/32" would be used for the rear or both if both have wood screw studs. Then countersink with the 7/32" set at a depth of 1/8". For the front, use the #10 and drill through the barrel channel using the counterbor for the nut recess if your front swivel is a machine screw stud with a nut. George