The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 22, 2001, 03:45 PM   #1
Phillip

Okay y'all, I need a little help. I was at the local LE supply store today when the clerk pulled a Beretta 1201 off the shelf. One of the local deputies commented on what a great shotgun that is. I made a remark that it is the same as the H&K Benelli M1. They both told me it is not. I was under the impression that both of these shotguns were made in the same factory and were essentially the same except for some cosmetic differences. Of course this was after they slammed me for choosing SIG Sauer pistols, but that's another story.
Have I been wrong all these years (about the shotguns, not the SIGs ya wiseguys)?
Old February 22, 2001, 03:53 PM   #2
BigG

I thought they were like a ford/mercury.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old February 22, 2001, 04:29 PM   #3
Romulus

Beretta and Benelli are NOT anything like Ford/Mercury (sacrilege to even suggest this!)

Beretta is based, like 99.99% of Italian manufacturers in the province of Brescia, in the Trompia Valley of Lombardy. Benelli is based in Urbino (hence the Montefeltro line,) in the Marches, east and way-south of Val Trompia. On an Italian scale, it's like Ithaca NY and Scottsdale AZ. Wheteher they have agreed to share some basic components like unmilled receivers and the like I don't know. I have to admit that some of the receivers, the angular ones,look nigh-identical...
Old February 22, 2001, 05:05 PM   #4
XXSUPO

No, they are different. the benelli costs twice as much.
other that THAT, they shoot the same...
oh, exept the benelli wont cycle LEO reduced recoil loads and the beretta will.
Old February 22, 2001, 05:09 PM   #5
CITADELGRAD87

Uhh......Mine WILL.
Old February 22, 2001, 09:02 PM   #6
hksigwalther

I'm pretty sure they shared some internal designs of shotguns. Besides the 1200 series being very similar to the Super 90, if you look at Beretta's M3P :

and Benelli's M3Super90 :

the similarities are evident (other than the M3P being box mag fed). Looking closely at an M3P photo (different from the above) in Guns of the Elite/George markham/First Edition, You can just make out 'BENELLI' above the trigger on the receiver of the Beretta gun.
Old February 22, 2001, 09:33 PM   #7
Daniel Watters

Beretta has long maintained a financial interest in several European gunmakers, including Benelli and at one time, Fabrique Nationale. However, Beretta has been on a buying spree in recent years. Beretta currently owns Benelli, Franchi, Uberti, and Sako.
Old February 23, 2001, 03:44 AM   #8
BigG

Oh yeah.

The Benellis were overstamped HK for a time. *snort* *snicker* *hoot*
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old February 23, 2001, 11:10 AM   #9
Phillip

Thanks for the replys. Well, what's been said pretty much confirms what I had thought.
Erick, I had heard, and recall reading the same thing, hence my confusion.
I won't be doubting myself next time I hear some clerk running his mouth.
Old February 23, 2001, 06:54 PM   #10
gunmart

when i went through beretta armor school in 1994 the beretta rep had a 1201 and a h@k and showed us that the bolt is interchangeable betwwen the two modles and a few other parts but that was it..