The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 27, 2011, 12:01 PM   #1
compglock17

Barnes Varmint Grenade Question.

I was considering loading up some 50grn. Varmint Grenades for my 22-250. Any one use this bullet in 22-250? How does it perform for you? If you dont like it, what other varmint bullets do you like?

Last edited by compglock17; December 27, 2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old December 27, 2011, 04:38 PM   #2
mrawesome22

I shoot 50gr vmax and 53gr smk.

Barnes is on my will not buy anything they sell list.
Old December 27, 2011, 05:05 PM   #3
wncchester

There's nothing on my 'don't buy' list.

I get 5/8" 100 yd. groups at 4,150 fps with the 36 gr. Grenades seated 30 thou off the lands and over a charge of Varget out of my original 24" Browning Safari grade, the first factory rifle chambered for the .22-250 well before it was a factory round. That's good enough for me.
Old December 27, 2011, 05:06 PM   #4
CPTMurdoc30

No one in my varmint hunting circle ever got them to shoot worth a dang. In guns that are known SUB 1/2 MOA shooters the VG's would group 3/4 to 1MOA all the time. If a bullet isn't accurate it is worthless in the varminting fields.
Old December 27, 2011, 06:29 PM   #5
Stick_man

I find they work quite well but you need a fairly fast twist with them. 1:9 or 1:10 twist should provide you with some good results. Barnes says to not use them in anything slower than a 1:10, but you could still get reasonable results with a 1:12.

Mrawesome22, why do you have them on your "do not buy from" list? I have had great success with their TSX and TTSX big game bullets and good accuracy with the VGs (haven't tried them out yet on any p-dogs so don't know about performance of them).

The biggest issue I have heard about ANY of the Barnes bullets has been they are quite finicky. It often takes some work to get the right loads found but once you are dialed in you have some great shooters. Also, many varmint guns have slow twists and that results in poor stabilizing of most Barnes bullets.
Old December 27, 2011, 06:42 PM   #6
mrawesome22

Quote:
The biggest issue I have heard about ANY of the Barnes bullets has been they are quite finicky.
My issue with them is their prices. Do they make their bullets out of gold?

Just a matter of principle. Much better options out there at much cheaper prices.
Old December 27, 2011, 06:53 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Can't speak to the VGs but I very much like the accuracy and performance of the Barnes TTSX in my 7mm-08. If the VGs don't work out for you or if you decide not to get them, I have had very good luck with the 35gr Nosler lead free varmint bullets in 22-250. The ballistics of a 35gr bullet at 4,400 fps are amazing. Lightning like, actually.
Old December 27, 2011, 06:59 PM   #8
cornbush

I don't use them in a 22-250, but I shoot them out of my .223, 36gr at about 3500 fps works very well to make hairy meatballs.............
Old December 27, 2011, 07:34 PM   #9
Stick_man

I agree they are a bit pricey, but they are a premium bullet. Have you seen the prices of copper lately? Have you seen the prices of the Nosler Partitions? Or the Scirrocos? Or even the Combined Technologies bullets? The Barnes bullets are not standard grade mass production type bullets. The TSX (for example) are more on par with higher end match grade bullets than with mass produced lead-core hunting bullets.

Barnes has developed a very good reputation for their bullets and the performance on big game. You do pay a little more for the name, but it is very difficult to match the performance of the TSX or TTSX when comparing them to any other premium bullet.

Basically, don't expect to pay Cavalier prices when shopping for Corvettes.
Old December 27, 2011, 08:21 PM   #10
NESHOOTER

They are great!!! shoot them out of a ruger 26'' Hvy barrel. You will not be unhappy get some and every rifle is different. Best overall length is 2.450.
Old December 28, 2011, 06:52 AM   #11
compglock17

Thanks guys. Sounds like they are at least worth a try! Ill let you all know how they do!