The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 11, 2015, 03:44 AM   #26
jakethomas97

Very important point

There are two main reasons why I would want a fixed stock, and they are the only reasons out there.

Rigidity- best for the long range shots, etc.
Appearance- There's nothing sexier than a retro government 20" AR15.

Unfortunately appearance doesn't mean as much as diversity to me, and as for rigidity I can wrap a piece of paper or plastic around between the tube and stock and make it very stiff- one position in from farthest out.

This alone keeps me with the collapsible. In fact the bigger wobble factor is between my lower and upper, and unfortunately I have yet to find an acu-wedge-like solution that lasts.
Old December 11, 2015, 04:49 AM   #27
Gunplummer

I agree with Quentin2. It has a place in hunting. I usually only take my AR out for deer in nasty weather, and then I walk in close, brushy places. When you have a heavy coat on and a backpack with thick straps, it really comes in handy. It is a lot faster to get on your shoulder when you are walking around jumping deer.
Old December 11, 2015, 06:20 AM   #28
kcub

I have a SBR Krinkov that fits into an innocuous backpack with a 20 round mag inserted ready to rock and roll. It's my Katrina gun. I can appear unarmed and yet still have a long gun ready.

I'm not sure a SBR AR would be short enough for a backpack with that tube sticking out the back of the receiver. If it is maybe a collapsible or folding stock might work. Just not quite as compact as the AK. Maybe with a bigger backpack.

A really short SBR Saiga 12 gauge would be excellent.
Old December 11, 2015, 08:20 AM   #29
Mobuck

Roughly 2/3 of our AR stable has collapsible stocks. I find the solid stock easier to shoot from sandbags but the adjustable has it's place on a hunting/SD rifle. The heavy barrel configuration balances better with a solid stock plus you can add ballast to offset that muzzle weight.
Old December 11, 2015, 09:25 AM   #30
zukiphile

If you need a short length of pull, shorter than an A1, a stock that uses a carbine buffer tube makes a lot of sense. Length of pull is a personal issue, but seems a less acute issue if one uses traditional positions as opposed to positions adapted to use of armor.

One draw back of a carbine buffer tube is that it will not accommodate any buffer I know of that weighs more than about five and a half ounces.
Old December 13, 2015, 05:36 PM   #31
Hunter Customs

The main purpose for my AR is hunting, my AR came with a collapsible stock I replaced it with a fixed AR stock.

I realize the collapsible stock may be better for close quarter battle, that being said when I was in the military we were taught for close quarter battle to flip the butt stock into out armpit and squeeze the stock between our bicep and chest, then point shoot the rifle.
Old December 13, 2015, 06:04 PM   #32
HALL,AUSTIN

A lot of good points. I went with a fixed stock after having a collapsible, didn't like the small ammount of wiggle it had. Also mortaring out a stuck case is easier with a fixed stock vs the collapsible.