The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 6, 2009, 09:05 PM   #1
uastudent12

Mini 14 Reassembly Problem

I cleaned my Mini 14 for the first time tonight, and I've run into a problem. I've put about 300 or 400 rounds through it with no problems whatsoever before I finally got around to cleaning it tonight.

I got everything taken apart and cleaned, but when I put it back together I can't get the slide to operate. Once I have the slide attached to the bolt and the recoil spring back in, the gas piston head seems to get stuck in the hole on the front of the slide, keeping the slide from moving. It actually got completely stuck, and I had to force it back out, chipping off a sliver of the finish on the slide. I've been watching this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPnDq...eature=related), and I think I'm following his steps, but I just can't get the slide to move. Any ideas what my problem may be?
Old June 6, 2009, 09:49 PM   #2
joehorner

Mini

If your model is a ranch you may have the rod with the spring on the wrong side of the bar . Try flipping it over, then try to cycle it slowly as to not do more damage if this is not a fix. You should sign up with Perfect Union Forum. It is loaded with friendly advise and tips on mini 14/30. Joe
Old June 8, 2009, 07:19 AM   #3
uastudent12

Thanks for the help, Joe! That's a great resource, and I found the answer. As I suspected, there was some operator error involved....