The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 12, 2007, 02:31 AM   #1
banditt007

Some thoughts about the coyote...and the cat.

So here we are, and we complain that people should keep their cats indoors only, since they are almost 'perfect killing machines' to the local baby rabbits, song birds, and other birds, ect. Infact a state (i forget which) i beleive tried to pass a law that you must kill ferral cats while hunting, but it didnt go through.

Then we have the coyote, which finds an outdoor cat a nice meal! And by some research, it seems to be very common 'easy' meal.(lots of people complaining about outdoor cats missing and seeing coyotes in the area.) Which is good, except he also hunts ground birds, rabbits and the like. However the coyote probably isn't after song birds like the cat.

Also the coyote actually EATS what he kills. Unlike the cat, the cat may eat it, but there is a good chance it just kills 'for fun'

So i'm just looking to start some conversation, on what everyones thoughts are on the coyote vs the cat vs the damage done to other wildlife. Especially since coyotes seem to just be shot, and left. And thought about as 'pests' meanwhile these pests, also are eating the cats. sometimes the fur is used, most times not. VERY rarely do people seem to eat them, seems 'taboo' though the ones that do, swear it is great meat, i have no reason not to beleive them.

Last edited by banditt007; February 12, 2007 at 03:21 AM.
Old February 12, 2007, 03:16 AM   #2
dirty habit

Dont like cats...Love my silenced 10/22....it also doesnt like cats
Old February 12, 2007, 08:13 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I really doubt that coyotes seek out cats, first, before eating whatever is easiest by opportunity. And, face it, cats are pretty good at avoiding being eaten. It's not as if they're easy.

Coyotes find cats, okay. Might make a kill. But coyotes can't climb trees...

So, as I occasionally run across a feral cat out in the boonies, I'll kill it. I don't mess much with coyotes, although I'll do a little from time to time to sorta hold the numbers down for the benefit of "my" quail.

Art
Old February 12, 2007, 11:34 AM   #4
john in jax

I don't want yotes or cats on the WMA (public land) where I hunt. I'll put 'em down if I stumble across 'em but I'm not going out of my way to hunt one.

Funny that this should pop up - - I don't ever remember seeing a house cat in the woods, but saw one yesterday afternoon while hog hunting. It took me a minute to talk myself into putting it down - - but it never let me get within shotgun range.
Old February 12, 2007, 11:47 AM   #5
OJ

Charley really likes cats -

He thinks they taste a little like rabbit !

Though he keeps looking - we haven't seen any here for a while. For some reason, our neighbor decided to convert her "roam free" cats to "indoor" cats. Go figure!!!

Even our local coyotes have lost interest in coming in our back yard - they just stand outside the fence aand stare - until Charley goes over and gives them his message - NIMBY!!!

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old February 12, 2007, 11:49 PM   #6
Mossy00

I have cats and dogs, and I'd put a bullet in anyone I saw killing either for pleasure.
Old February 12, 2007, 11:59 PM   #7
Blacktail_Slayer

I we dont have problems with feral cats here, they tend to stay in the barns on farms. But a lot of people have pet cats, and there is an extreme number of birds round here anyways, it just gives me a better angle to approch somone about hunting coyotes on their land, "I see you have cats, ya know coyotes love em, I can help ya with that..." So yea
Old February 13, 2007, 12:33 AM   #8
OJ

Quote:
Mossy00 I have cats and dogs, and I'd put a bullet in anyone I saw killing either for pleasure.
I was 15 years old (1941) before I decided to do something in life besides what I'd done all of it until then - be a cowboy. We had cats (at least close to feral) that were helpful keeping the mouse population in check and dogs to run coyotes down since we felt those coyotes were a threat to our calves. That wasn't in town. This picture was taken in about 1934 showing my "trophies" I took with the .22 single shot rifle I got for my 6th birthday. My coyote gun was an old Winchester 94 in Winchester 32 Special.

I have no desire to shoot either cats or dogs but do have some problem in that there are leash laws requiring dogs not be allowed loose on public streets (don't get me wrong - I'm in favor of those laws) and dogs are required to be up to date on vaccinations so they can be licensed.

I feel strongly that cats should be subject to the same restrictions but, for reasons not clear, I'm not aware of any locales where that's true. I would think cat owners would be in favor of giving their cats the same protections dogs get amd not just allow them to roam free to face all kinds of danger - such as being run over by cars or being the victim of predators.

That shouldn't be mistaken for wanting to shoot them. No offense intended.

Last edited by OJ; February 13, 2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old February 13, 2007, 01:24 AM   #9
rem33

Quote:
Mossy00 I have cats and dogs, and I'd put a bullet in anyone I saw killing either for pleasure.
Do you sir have any idea what kind of that statement is? To say you would shoot another human over the life of any cat or dog? I think you should take a good look at that statement and think about it bit..
I like my dog a awful lot and if you were to kick and/or severely injure him in front of me especially for no reason I might break your jaw, but to shoot/ kill??? Put a bullet into someone?? That my man is another thing all together, and has no place in this gun forum IMHO or any other place for that matter.

Moderators please delete my statement if you feel it is inappropriate thank you.
Old February 13, 2007, 01:28 AM   #10
Jseime

I shoot the tom cats that roam around the countryside especially if they have long hair jeez i hate those things. Ive even been known to walk out the door with a loaded 597 remington and control the farm cat population.

Coyotes too pi** me off we have waaaaay too many of them and Im not afraid to give em a round of .270 from time to time.
Old February 13, 2007, 02:04 PM   #11
Silent Bob

I think this thread exists more to bait cat haters than promote any meaningful discussion about coyotes.

Many serial killers got their start by torturing and killing house cats, and I have to wonder about many on these online gun forums who brag about the pleasure they obtain from killing cats.
Old February 13, 2007, 04:23 PM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I really doubt "pleasure" is the real point to shooting feral cats in the boonies. I can't speak for folks in town.

House cats are an introduced, non-native predator which kill from pure instinct as well as for food. Whatever pleasure I might derive from killing one is the same pleasure I get from any clean kill or any small group on a target: Satisfaction at doing something correctly.

As near as I can tell, this attitude is the same for most who are regular outdoorsmen, whether city-dweller or farmer/rancher.

Separately, I fully understand anger because somebody hurts one's pet. But it's Keyboard Kommando BS to yowl and howl about shooting that person, or else a previously unrealized desire to enrich defense attorneys and spend lengthy periods of time in the Graybar Hotel.

Art
Old February 13, 2007, 05:01 PM   #13
rem33

I don't believe it's "pleasure" either. The only cat I remember shooting that I was happy about was a wild one that had been killing my folks chicks for some time and I finally was able to catch him.
I sat Saturday out in the boonies and watched a coyote so intent on hunting he didn't notice the pickup or when it was turned it off. Which is highly unusual as coyotes are very alert and never hang around at 150 yards or less and let you watch them. At least around here they don't. It would have been legal to shoot him and I had my 223 Contender along but it was much more enjoyable watching him that it would have been shooting him. I doubt many if any actual hunters get pleasure from killing.

I don't want to be misunderstood here I have dispatched plenty of critters, varmints and vermin, but it doesn't reach the realm of pleasure.

Last edited by rem33; February 13, 2007 at 07:25 PM. Reason: varmints & vermin
Old February 13, 2007, 06:05 PM   #14
FrontSight

Rem33 - I have to agree - the killing is just the last part of it, often the saddest part. I know it's never given me pleasure to see something shake it's last shake, kick it's last kick, or to have to break the neck of a wounded animal. But the dinner sure makes up for all of it
Old February 13, 2007, 08:32 PM   #15
sparkysteve

My .223 can't tell the difference. We have more coyotes that cats in my neck of the woods.

Dont tread on me.
Old February 14, 2007, 12:59 AM   #16
OJ

I have to confess - when I was in the 8 - 10 year old group, my younger sister was always bringing cats home that she would swear were toms. Somehow through some miracle, those toms had kittens. Also, somehow, it seemed to be my job (boys do the dirty work - girls don't) to "give them away" - which was impossible in our tiny community. I would end up having to "euthanize" them with my 22 rifle - a job I hated then and still gives me nightmares. Of all the dirty jobs I had to do, that was by far the worst.

I've been a hunter all my life but that was a long way from hunting and was traumatic to me then and still is when I think of it.

:barf:
Old February 14, 2007, 04:31 PM   #17
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, OJ, you could have put them in a gunnysack and thrown them in the river. Although, I'm told that I got a trophy for longest distance for underwater swimming when I was a year or so old and my momma did that to me.

, Art
Old February 14, 2007, 05:45 PM   #18
OJ

Quote:
Well, OJ, you could have put them in a gunnysack and thrown them in the river. Although, I'm told that I got a trophy for longest distance for underwater swimming when I was a year or so old and my momma did that to me.
Well, that would have been preferable to me but we didn't have any rivers close to where we lived out in the country. As I stated, I've never been very fond of cats but the trauma I went through taking care of what should have been my sister's responsibility.

No 10 year old boy should be exposed to that trauma but, treatment was sexist at our house - I was even expected to go out and finish fights my sister started. At age 11, I worked on other ranches and at age 14, went away to Ag School - boarding school and worked other ranches in summer. Enlisted at age 17 (1943), West Point (1945), med school, more service time for Korea, Surgical training at the county hospital for Detroit, and, in 1960 - took up residence in another city.

It wasn't exactly sibling rivalry - more class war - but I never regretted leaving home at an early age. Kids of the past couple of generations returning home after college and even grad school boggle my mind.

Well, I've unloaded this (my problem) enough. This is the sibling relationship we have at our place.

Camping in their King-sized bed in the Coleman folding trailer. Lest any think we're deprived, we have hot and cold running water, three way refrigerator, forced air furnace (thermostatically controlled), two cook stoves, and a portable generator to keep us in electricity and automatic switching propane tanks so we don't run out of gas unexpectedly.

LIFE IS GOOD!!
Old February 14, 2007, 08:46 PM   #19
Mossy00

It's been well documented by psychologists that a hatred of felines means antipathy to the whole female sex or a frustation with the female sex. This is usually pretty relevant when you look at the people that say they "hate cats". Lions and big cats alike are symbols of sexual prowness, power and grace. Most who hate felines probably lack this. Debate it all you want, science doesn't lie-most of the time.
Old February 14, 2007, 09:16 PM   #20
rem33

Boy that last one made me chuckle.
I had a cat I liked a lot, have been around cats that were ok and just fine with me, and some I'd just as soon weren't around at all.. Well I have known females I liked a lot and more and REALLY wanted them around me. and some I would just as soon were not around me at all.
Old February 15, 2007, 12:53 AM   #21
OJ

Quote:
It's been well documented by psychologists that a hatred of felines means antipathy to the whole female sex or a frustation with the female sex.
Quote:
Boy that last one made me chuckle.
I certainly have to agree with the second quote. I graduated from medical school some 55 years ago and psychologists were giving us monumental amounts of psychobabble such as equating hating cats to antipathy of human females even then - and that only scratches the surface of the nonsense they try - and sometimes succeed - to educate us less informed types with - interestingly very frequently equating some activity of us mortals with some deep seated sexual thing relating to our past - our relationship with our mothers (Oedipus) for instance - and such drivel.

Personally, I think there may be an inverse relationship between the number of cats I disliked individually as pets as opposed to the very few human females I wasn't fond of (different than "antipathy").

Psychology is largely opinion arrived at in more ways than can be imagined and hardly qualifies as a "science" but, truth be known, we should be aware that real scientists lie to us regularly. Witness the decision last year of the AMA Journal now requiring all "scientists" publishing work regarding medication efficacy and dangers to reveal any financial arrangement they have with drug manufacturers. Even the AMA recognizes the impact and amount of frankly dishonest reporting - frequently motivated by things most physicians abhor.

As a group - I really don't like cats but, I've only known very few women I didn't like.

Old February 15, 2007, 03:23 AM   #22
dirty habit

Id be wary of anyone who took pleasure in killing anything to be honest.
Wild/feral cats are a huge problem to native birds over here, they can dessimate an entire area in a very short time so no sympathy from me im afraid but if people want something to jump up and down about may as well clap your hands too and call it a starjump
Old February 15, 2007, 10:42 AM   #23
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, let's don't get too sloppy with word usage. I enjoy hunting, for instance. A kill is satisfying, since that's part of why I'm out there with a gun. If one succeeds at an endeavor, one should be satisfied--last I heard. Moving from satisfaction to pleasure might involve the degree of difficulty; I dunno. I don't really care, either.

"Hate" is a much-overused word. It's been cheapened. Always remember that the word itself includes an element of fear--and I surely don't fear any feral cat.

Art
Old February 15, 2007, 12:42 PM   #24
OJ

Quote:
Well, let's don't get too sloppy with word usage. I enjoy hunting, for instance. A kill is satisfying, since that's part of why I'm out there with a gun. If one succeeds at an endeavor, one should be satisfied--last I heard. Moving from satisfaction to pleasure might involve the degree of difficulty; I dunno. I don't really care, either.
I'm sure there is near universal agreement with this - at least in those likely to be on this forum. The enjoyment of hunting is the act of hunting - which I'm sure all of us have experienced even if we didn't get any of the game we hunted. Killing the game we hunted just marked that as a successful hunt and has nothing to do with love of killing, per se.

Memories of trudging over those sandhills of western Nebraska in the 1930s with my dog hunting rabbits and prairie dogs will always be among the best of my childhood memories and I really don't remember what the percentage of times we were successful or weren't. They were some of the best days a boy can experience - believe me. (At least before I became aware of girls several years later).

Old February 15, 2007, 01:18 PM   #25
buzz_knox

Quote:
It's been well documented by psychologists that a hatred of felines means antipathy to the whole female sex or a frustation with the female sex.
I would love to study this further. Could you please provide the citations to this research?