The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 13, 2006, 08:11 PM   #1
Adventurer 2

Deer Cart Advice

I bought a deer cart this year as I am getting older and will be deer hunting alone this year. The cart is in an L shape with the longer side being the pull side. How should I put a deer on the cart? Antlers up on the long side (I am concerned about my safety with this) or upside down on the cart. Should I cover the deer with a VS17 (flourescent) panel as an added safety measure?
Old November 13, 2006, 11:09 PM   #2
deerslayer79

I use a a tractor and a front end loader for a deer cart,it works good, .
Old November 13, 2006, 11:31 PM   #3
pumpkinheaver

You just need to get the deer cetered on the balance point. I use a couple of straps to tie the deer to the cart. A blaze orange vest over the deer certainly wouldn't hurt, especially if you hunt public land.
Old November 15, 2006, 06:23 PM   #4
wun_8_seven

head down. i was pullin one head up on a cart 2 years ago i tripped and fell and got an antler just above my right eye. 1 inch lower and it would have been real bad.
Old November 16, 2006, 12:20 PM   #5
22-rimfire

I have the Cabela's deer cart, magnum I think. Anyway, after getting a buck last year, the "drag" was the easist that I have ever experienced using the cart. I placed the deer head up (toward me) and strapped it down. I keep a couple nylon straps on the cart year around so I don't have to think about it.

I can see that it might be possible that the antlers could hit you if the cart got a way from you. But I wanted the heaviest portion of the deer over the wheels. I strap the head so that it does not flop around and use the bars on the cart to support it. Fluorescent orange (FO) cloth over the deer, might not be a bad idea but I would keep wearing my orange when bringing the deer out. Maybe just have one of those cheap FO vests stuffed in the back of your coat. I honestly don't worry about it.

I keep my cart in my truck. Yes, it is possible someone could steal it. If someone needs it, that's fine with me as long as they return it promptly and leave a note saying what they did.
Old November 16, 2006, 02:50 PM   #6
rem33

If you want to carry the deer head up why not slip empty shotgun shells over the points on the horns? or something similar so if a accident did happen you won't get gored. I would definitely put plenty of hunter orange on me and the deer. Watch for soft spots the wheel will sink into.

Saw a elk wheeled on a large two guy, one wheel one once and downhill it was great
Old November 16, 2006, 06:58 PM   #7
hpg

I just bought a new deer cart, here's a pic...hpg

Quote:

Last edited by hpg; November 17, 2006 at 08:27 PM.
Old November 17, 2006, 08:55 AM   #8
9mm1033

My concern is not so much the use of a cart (which I have), but how do I alone get that deer up into my pickup. I made two ramps. Hopefully, I'll be able to pull it up into the bed. Hunting alone is nice, but after the kill, it gets physically challenging.
Old November 17, 2006, 09:30 AM   #9
rem33

Take a peice of plywood or a couple of planks to use as a ramp and a comealong or pully setup. Hook to your tiedowns in the front of the bed. Isn't as fast as lifting but you can load a large animal alone that way and it never slips back out.

Last edited by rem33; November 17, 2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old November 18, 2006, 09:22 AM   #10
9mm1033

rem33,

Great idea! A pulley system using the bed tiedowns.