The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 25, 2006, 12:03 AM   #1
Lionken07

sometimes a good shot, sometimes not??

is it just me or is it that Im the only one that gets very inconsistent shot placement depending on the day?

sometimes I can do 5 shots group all on the black circles at 25yards, and sometimes I can barely hit the paper at that distance....I am not old by any chance so what gives?

maybe you guys can give me some pointer on what to practice with to get better results?
Old October 25, 2006, 01:05 AM   #2
DWARREN123

I'm an old guy and yes somedays I have that problem. Depends on how tired I am and when I ate last, how I feel and the weather and if my wife is mad.
Old October 25, 2006, 01:49 AM   #3
stephen426

Quote:
I'm an old guy and yes somedays I have that problem. Depends on how tired I am and when I ate last, how I feel and the weather and if my wife is mad.
This pretty much sums it up for me. If you are hungry, your hands will be a lot less steady and your groups will open up considerably. Also, if you are tired, your eyes will have difficulty focusing on the target and you will fatigue more easily while trying to hold the gun steady. Consider going easy on the caffeine as well since too much will give you the jitters. For DWARREN123, the weather may affect him due to arthritis, since he is older. Stress levels also affect your ability to focus on the sights and how steady your hands are. Stress also may lead you to jerk the trigger or flinch.

Other than that, its like the Michelob slogan... "Some days are better than others."

Practice, practice, practice and your bad days will get fewer. Just be sure to always evaluate yourself or have a range buddy critique you to see if you are making certain errors. I hope this helps.
Old November 9, 2006, 08:52 AM   #4
ronc0011

Have just recently bought a “Kimber Pro carry Ten II” and have taken up shooting on a regular bases (every weekend) At first I was just getting used to the feel of the pistol. Many years ago in another life I was a carpenter and I spent every day with a 28 oz Estwing hammer in my hand. That hammer was like a natural extension of my body I didn’t even have to watch it in order to use it for some things. It just came as easy as using my hand. So when I bought the pistol I knew I wanted it to be just like that hammer, I wanted it to come as easy as using my hand., requiring no conscious thought.
I have now put maybe 2000 rounds through my pistol and it is getting better. Generally on the 12 yrd range I can run out 13rds as fast as I can reacquire the target and keep them within 6 in. That’s running them out pretty fast, maybe a half second between shots. Also the first magazine will usually be even tighter maybe 3 in. while the last magazine (200 rds) will be maybe 9 in. (fatigue).
One thing that has helped a lot, and I know this will sound weird, is that every night when I’m in bed watching TV waiting to go to sleep I will spend maybe 30 minutes with the pistol in my hand just working it through sighting and target acquisition. Basically just re-enforcing the feel of the thing in my hand. I know this is a tedious, boring thing to do and any more it’s just an unconscious exorcize that my hand almost does on its own while I watch TV. But it serves its purpose because on the range the pistol feels good and right in my hand.
Old November 11, 2006, 11:41 AM   #5
Lurper

What is happening is not related to age or fatique. I shoot much better when I am tired because I am more relaxed. If no one has told you, shooting is 99% mental. It really is as simple as lining up the sights and pressing the trigger. But, as is human nature we make it more than it has to be. Learn to shoot relaxed - natural stance, relaxed grip, etc. But I digress.
What is happening is loss of focus. You are letting your conscious mind get in the way. Practice focusing your concentration. One simple excersize:

Make a dot in the center of a piece of paper. If you use optics, make it a red dot if possible. Sit at a table, place the paper on the table w/ the dot up. Now, focus on the dot. While focusing your concentration, your mind should be quiet, no little voices, no distractions. You are attempting to get into "the Zone". You cannot force it, you must allow it. Once you are there, it will be difficult to hold that level for long. Start by trying to focus for 15 seconds, then 30, then 1 minute, then 3 mins, then 5 mins. Do this and your shooting will improve more than 100%.
Old November 11, 2006, 11:58 AM   #6
Pointer

A very important factor is OXYGEN.

In addition to what has already been said... It helps to remember to breathe deeply and being in excellent condition will help a lot.

When the blood-oxygen level gets low, the eyes are the first to go...

30-06 FOREVER
Old November 28, 2006, 04:06 AM   #7
Makarov The Lucky

Yeah I have this problem too. Like Stephen said the more I practice the less the "bad days" seem to effect me.