The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 7, 2006, 04:51 AM   #1
Trevor K.

Glock 23

I have a question for those of you out there....Please don't think I am dumb but I pretty much am when it comes to guns.

I just received a Glock 23 from my dads estate (He passed on in 2000) and I don't know much about it. I do know that he bought it new in about 1992. He used it as his carry weapon while he was a cop and I was told that he used it as his personal defense weapon after he quit being a cop. I guess my questions are:

How good of a gun is it?

What Generation is it? (I have no idea what this means. I thought a gun was gun.) I tried to look it up but could't find any answers.

Can I use other clips/magazines with it?

I wish I could ask him but I had limited contact with him since my parents divorced in 1992 because of his job and he is not here anymore.

Can anyone here help me whith my questions?

I am fairly new to the shooting sports arena...but I would like to learn more. I hope that someone here can help me.

Thank You,

Trevor
Old June 7, 2006, 08:35 AM   #2
Edward429451

1) It's a great gun

2) 1992 would make it a generation 1 (No finger grooves etc.)

3) You can use the G22 mags for it.

I had one for a few years and never had any problems with it.
Old June 7, 2006, 11:36 PM   #3
mgdavis

As Edward stated, it's a Gen 1, the only things Glock has really changed are cosmetic. It is a .40 S&W, basically a smaller framed version of the Glock 22. You may use Glock 22 magazines, but they will protrude slightly from the bottom of the grip. The Glock 23 shares the same outside dimensions as the Glock 19, and the holsters are interchangeable. It is a good size for both range use and concealed carry. A good Glock oriented resource is glocktalk.com, the folks there have unbelievable amounts of knowledge when it comes to Glocks.
If you're located around Kitsap County, and want to learn a little more about guns, glocks, or shooting in general, feel free to send me a PM, I'd be happy to get together for a range session.
Old July 13, 2006, 06:34 PM   #4
castnblast

Nice gun, but be VERY carefull with hot loads. They like to come apart...i.e. extractor pens and bolt fly out. We had several come apart back when I used to manage an indoor shooting range several years back. They are great guns, but if you reload, stay about 10-15% under the max charge. The good thing is they do what they are designed to do if you get an overcharge, but they don't like hot loads.
Old July 19, 2006, 08:08 PM   #5
ramrod63

Glock 23 ammo

DO NOT use lead bullet reloads in this pistol. The Glock's have a different type of rifling than almost all other pistols. Most of the blowups that I have heard of come from the use of lead bullets which cause lead build up in the bore and an increase in pressure. Stick with jacked bullets. Other than the G23 is a great gun.