The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 12, 2013, 09:58 AM   #51
BumbleBug

Trophy WT Buck

Turkeys are tricky, but when I was growing up, turkeys were always a bonus that just happened to come by while deer hunting. The trick then was how to shoot one with a deer rifle without blowing it to smithereens. But I've had a wise ol' hunters preach that if a turkey had a good sense of smell, you'd never kill one!!

Some really good (low-fence) trophy whitetails are killed by chance, but the difficulty to do it consistently or deliberately gets my vote as the "trickiest game to hunt".

...bug
Old March 12, 2013, 10:22 AM   #52
L_Killkenny

I can find most game equally tricky depending on certain circumstances. Some seem smart because they're pretty skitish, some are cunning, some can be just brain dead. But in my experience the older the game is, no matter what it is, the harder it is too bag. Look at whitetails, I've had deer keep grazing 20 yards away while I fired my 12ga and reloaded. On the flip side I've also had areas that consistently hold some true monsters that no one ever bags or even sees during season. So are deer easy or tricky? Same goes for pheasants, coyotes, even squirrel.

Killin a sample of most critters can be fairly easy, baggin one that been around the block is another story.
Old March 12, 2013, 01:58 PM   #53
Buzzcook

Snipe. No really, they're really fast and mostly you have to wade through tidal marsh to even see them.
Old March 12, 2013, 02:08 PM   #54
dylanf55

i would have to say blacktails to be the hardest and starlings the easiest lol
Old March 13, 2013, 07:35 AM   #55
Todd1700

In my area I would say turkeys.
Old March 14, 2013, 10:29 AM   #56
SPEMack618

The most fun I've had hunting would have to be the numerous mornings spent in a duck blind. I could drag my cracass out of bed early everyday if it invovled duck hunting.

As far as trickiest game goes....that's a toos up, to me atlest, between coyotes and whitetail. Coyotes also fall under my fun to hunt category. Except for that time Pop and I spent a week attempting to kill the coyote that ate my Big Sister's prize winning show cow. That was hard and cold.

Never had a problem turkey hunting, all it takes is non-scented soap and being able to gauge the wind.
Old March 14, 2013, 11:45 AM   #57
buck460XVR

All the species I have had the privilege to hunt have had certain individuals that were tricky and sometimes meant I went home empty. They also had some individuals that made the hunt short and easy. This is the same with Deer, Bear, Turkeys, Pheasants, and various predators.

Quote:
Never had a problem turkey hunting, all it takes is non-scented soap and being able to gauge the wind.

....I take it this was in jest, eh?
Old March 14, 2013, 12:10 PM   #58
doofus47

Easy: red squirrels.
Old March 14, 2013, 04:24 PM   #59
SPEMack618

Buck,

Quote:
....I take it this was in jest, eh?
Somewhat.

I have a Fraternity Brother who wears a Mossy Oak bottoms land ghillie suit, carries a shotgun that looks like something from a video game, has spent more on turkey calls and decoys than I have on my truck, and was still unsuccesful in his turkey hunting.

In talking to him about it, part of it was timing, he could never get out to hunt until late season, and even then, most of his hunting was done in less than optimal times of the day, like midday, when your average turkey is considering his midday nap, as should you.

In talking to a lot of turkey hunters around here, who report failure, I've come to the conclusion that it isn't their gear or scent, it is mainly a lack of hunting where the turkeys are. Or rather in thier cases, they were hunting where the turkeys weren't.
Old March 16, 2013, 10:57 AM   #60
ChasingWhitetail91

squirrels by far, the turkeys in Windham County will eat food at your feet if you let them.
Old March 16, 2013, 11:04 AM   #61
tahunua001

I'd say pronghorn antelope... I could never seem to get within 2 miles of those things growing up and if you stepped on a twig by accident you could just see the herd move off like a big black blob on the horizon...

Elk are a pain and probably some of the most elusive game I've ever had to work with, they cover vast distances in short periods of time and they have amazing hearing and smell...

turkeys also are difficult but so far that's the only animal I've ever managed to actually call in so I don't think they get the nod, at least in my eyes.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:17 PM   #62
oryx

Mountain lion with no dogs
Old March 18, 2013, 04:12 PM   #63
BJE80

Ruffed Grouse. Hands down.
Old March 19, 2013, 08:22 AM   #64
chewie146

Quote:
Mountain lion with no dogs
Have you tried riding a bicycle? Works in California.
Old March 19, 2013, 09:21 PM   #65
tahunua001

year hunting mountain lions without dogs sucks... I just gather up all my friends dachshunds and walk them around the mountains... having the right bait is key
Old March 19, 2013, 09:40 PM   #66
Nim Rod

Long thought to be urban legend, or myth, the Wyoming Jackalope has to be the trickiest to hunt, they are as fast as the Pronghorn Antelope, with eyesight equal to Pronghorn Antelope...and the bucks are only hunt-able during horn season, which typically only lasts 3 days until they shed their horns.
Licenses for special season hunts are only available in in Douglas WY.
They are not to be confused with TX Jackalope, which can be determined by their antlers instead of horns.

Old March 19, 2013, 10:14 PM   #67
doofus47

^^^
Nice.
Old March 20, 2013, 08:43 AM   #68
Husqvarna

We get to hunt roedeer bucks a while before the general hunt begins but without dogs. very keen senses at that time of year (on the lookout for intruders and willing shedeers
Old March 20, 2013, 08:47 AM   #69
giaquir

Wabbits!
Old March 20, 2013, 08:50 AM   #70
Husqvarna

Sure Shot McGee: I am with you on the Muntjac, first vid I saw of it I thought it was fake to

People in the northern parts of Sweden swears that Skvaders exists
Old March 20, 2013, 08:53 AM   #71
Husqvarna

trickiest and cunningest but not in the least bit fun is a wounded bear.

Boars can be a hassle to but bears frekkin ambush you. The chose paths to run away unseen.
Old March 21, 2013, 09:56 PM   #72
Mauser8mm

Partridge!

Partridge!! No Doubt About It!

I was hunting deer in upstate New York, and I heard a really loud flapping sound. Turned out to be two partridge. Later on I tried hunting them and all they did was scare me!!!! Yes, they are hard to shoot but they can almost give you a heart attack!!!

It's better to be silent and called a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
Old March 21, 2013, 10:26 PM   #73
TXAZ

According to a coworker who grew up hunting and became a Ranger sniper, the trickiest game is the dogma-driven-drugnov-carrying local.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 22, 2013, 05:59 AM   #74
globemaster3

Husqvarna, that's an interesting pic. I haven't seen those before. Do they have big teeth? Also, what chamberings do you use?

I would figure a flying carnivorous half rabbit might require the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch to kill effectively.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old March 22, 2013, 06:07 PM   #75
BigD_in_FL

chukar and mountain lions....both occupy unreal country and know how to not get caught