The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 23, 2006, 11:57 AM   #1
Wild Bill Bucks

Hog Bait Station

Take a piece of THIN walled PVC pipe and bury it with a pair of post hole diggers, as deep as possible.(Generally about 4 ft is as deep as I can dig)Make sure your pipe is ground level when buried.
Put a steel rod through the bottom of the pipe and stick it in the hole.
Be sure to tamp dirt down around it as tightly as possible.

Fill with corn and table scraps, and pour in a beer(If you can stand to waste one). It will take about 6 or 8 hours to really raise a stink.

The hogs will begin to eat at the top of the pipe, and will be forced to root up, and chew off, more and more pipe as they eat. The rod in the bottom will keep them from pulling your pipe out of the ground.

This Bait Station is generally good for 2 or 3 days (or nights) of hunting before they have it eaten up.(If you want to expend the energy, you can dig your hole in real hard ground, and it will take them a day or two longer to eat it up.)

Try to shoot hogs that are by themselves, and get them dragged away, as soon as possible from bait. Shooting hogs in a group, will keep them from coming back soon. Almost always, in a group, there will always be 1 hog that will be the last to leave the station, and you can generally shoot this one, without the others really knowing what happened.

This is one Idea for a Bait Station. Anybody else have a better way?
Old June 23, 2006, 04:58 PM   #2
FrontSight

Dumb question, but isn't the pvc pipe poisonous to them? Or do they just chew it up and spit it out?
Old June 23, 2006, 07:31 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

Sounds good, but it seems like a lot of work - seems to me that if it's only gonna last 2 or 3 days, why not just scatter corn on the ground, or better yet, use a feeder - I could see using that method if it would take the hogs a couple weeks to a month to root it all out, but not just a few days. Plus the hogs tear up the pipe, so you have to keep acquiring new pipe, right?

Anyway, from what I've read from these guys:

http://www.texasboars.com/

your best bet is to take some PVC pipe; 1-3 4-foot pieces for example, drill a half dozen or so 1/2" holes into each pipe, that corn can leak out, and then fill and plug both ends of them with end caps, with corn doused with diesel fuel (that's correct, diesel fuel). Then tie one end with a rope to a tree so the hogs don't drag it away. It will take a few weeks for the hogs to kick and knock around the pipe pieces in order to make the corn trickle out the holes, which they will do; kinda like those food puzzle cubes for your dog. You can of course re-use the pipes. Hogs love the smell & taste of petroleum products, for some reason, so that's where the diesel fuel comes in. Plus, unlike soaking the corn in beer or milk or strawberry shasta (which I hear they love), the diesel won't cause the corn to soften & ferment. This has the effect of leaving it crunchy. This in turn helps you sneak up on them because the sound of the corn crunching in their heads muffles out other sounds, AND the strong diesel smell can help cover your human scent. Or so I read. Also, on the subject of petroleum products, if you pour some creosote on a tree or fence post, this will attract them as a rub. You want to put your corn pipes & creosote post near a pond or other water puddle, where they can wallow. I put out some of these corn pipes, but there was a major drought on that lease and the hogs had moved a mile or so away to the river, so never saw any. But I get this stuff from some serious Texas hog hunters who have tried everything else, and this is supposed to work the best, except for just a standard feeder, which works great too.

But great idea on shooting the stragglers, so as not to spook the group. "Say, Fred, where'd Bill go - he was just back behind us I thought."
Old June 26, 2006, 11:28 AM   #4
Wild Bill Bucks

Sorry about late return guys, wife had honeydews.

So far I haven't found anything a hog won't eat or can't digest, the ones that are eating my PVC are going to die, but it won't be from PVC poisoning

FF. This isn't a good way to have a long term set-up, but mostly I only get to hunt a week-end, so if we dig it on a Friday, after work, it will serve it's purpose for a couple of days hunting. It generally takes friday night to start smelling enough to bring them to it.
Don't buy the good stuff, we get our PVC from a junk yard or a plumber or someone who puts in septic tanks. Most of the time they always have some scrap left, and will give it to you to get rid of it.
We used to just scatter a bunch of feed on the ground, and that works, but they tend to eat it all up when we're away from the stand.

According to the dirt you dig in, you can dig it out in a matter of 1/2 and hour, start to finish,(Don't mean to make it sound easy, cause it ain't)
that's why we do it on a friday afternoon, so we can rest a little afterward

Guys in Texas have a good idea, but I seldom get to hunt more than a couple of days at a time. I rarely hunt the same spot more than a couple of times, as the hogs figure you out pretty quick. If I kill 2 a week-end I feel like I've had a pretty succesful hunt, but some guys shoot as many as 6 or 7, according to how thick the hogs are.
Old June 26, 2006, 04:19 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

Quote:
the ones that are eating my PVC are going to die, but it won't be from PVC poisoning
hee hee.
Old June 27, 2006, 09:17 PM   #6
Desertfox

Unless there is already plenty of fresh hog sign, it may take a few days for the hogs to find your brewed corn. Check the sight daily until you see evidence of the hogs hitting your site. (this will be easy to see)
After finding sign you have two or three days to get a hunt set up.
I recommend dual tree stands and one guy with a spot light (in Texas cause it's legal) and a quick shot firearm. No time for scopes. 30-30 with open sights or shot gun with 00 or slug. You can rattle off a couple two or three shots before they make tracks.
Everywhere else you gotta play the early morning/late evening waiting game.
The diesel works in long term feeding stations.(not too great) It doesn't work too well in this scenario. Beer works great and if it is shaded from direct sunlight it will work better. Hog wild works and even beer on Maze or Milo works too. Strawberry Koolaid and Corn, table scraps and/or sweet feed.
My personal favorite is fish heads and guts. I am already going to have them from fishing and my buddies save them for me in the freezer. Mix the fish guts with any bread product. The fish guts and yeast will bring in any hog from long distances.
If you have bears in your neck of the woods, stay away from the beer and anything with sugar in it. You may have a visitor you don't want at night.
Old June 28, 2006, 09:50 AM   #7
smiljko

Hi!

I've had good experiences with fish and corn combo.Dig a hole 3-4 feet deep ,put a fish(older the better:barf: ) on the bottom,put corn on top of it and cover it with dirt.Deeper you bury it longer it will last.

Cheers
Old June 28, 2006, 10:21 AM   #8
Desertfox

See, it even works in Croatia. Any pics of Croatian hogs Smiljko? I am just wondering what you hunt with. Firearm pics are also appreciated.
Old June 28, 2006, 06:41 PM   #9
smiljko

Here are some pics
promjenjeno (Medium).JPG

Picture 002 (Large).jpg

Picture 020 (Large).jpg
I've hadf a lot of weapons-8x57 mauser cusom made, 9,3x62 CZ550, 9,3x74 IZH double rifle,... but I'm currently hunting with .30-06 mark-x with EAW mounts and Swarowski 1,5-6x42, federal high energy bear claw 180gr bullets,and I'm very satisfied.

Cheers

Last edited by smiljko; June 29, 2006 at 02:22 AM.
Old June 28, 2006, 09:52 PM   #10
FirstFreedom

It says "Invalid Attachment Specified" on all your pic links.
Old June 29, 2006, 02:23 AM   #11
smiljko

Try it now

Cheers
Old June 29, 2006, 08:07 PM   #12
Mannlicher

all the pics worked for me. I hope to be hunting Boar in Hungry, in the mountains NE of Budapest next year. A close friend owns a castle there, and has invited me for a few days at lake Balaton, then then some hunting.
I will be using a Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifle in .30-06.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old June 30, 2006, 08:10 AM   #13
Desertfox

Nice pics smiljko! Thanks for that! You are carrying a "reach out and touch them" combo now. Nice choice in rifle and scope.
Let me know how you like the Swaro 1.5-6 x 42. I currently am using a Nikon Monarch with similar specs. I was interested in the Swaro bright tech. Is it worth the money?
I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks.
Old June 30, 2006, 08:39 AM   #14
FirstFreedom

Yeah, nice pics, smil - dang those boars look mean!
Old June 30, 2006, 10:43 AM   #15
garryc

Let me side track a little if y'all would.
Back when I was a kid, at my uncles farm, we would castrate the young boar hogs. They said that not doing so would make the meat almost inedible. So, when you shoot a wild boar, is the meat edible? Or do you just cook it in a different way? I always thought that the little ones, like 30 pounds or so, would be tasty. If you shoot a sow, do the little ones stick around for awhile? Kind of like when I shoot a female woodchuck with young, I take the young with a 22 and BBQ then, taste kind of like squirrel.
Old June 30, 2006, 11:45 AM   #16
smiljko

Desertfox- I'm very very satisfied with 1,5-6x42 Swaro, because it is allround scope-it has lower magnification and wide FOW for brush hunting, and still has enough power for longer shots.I'm not sure if it has Swarobright technology because it is about ten years old, but it is very good and durable scope.

Garryc- they sure are edible , during the winter time(when they reproduct) the meat has stronger smell but with the right spices...
Big boars are great cooked in -i don't know the english word-gulash, but it involves a lot of paprika,pepper,onions and wine , or in sausages. The little ones are great in the oven . We don't usually shoot sows when they are leading the little ones, so I don't know if they stick around.

Cheers
Old July 4, 2006, 09:46 AM   #17
Wild Bill Bucks

under 50 lb hogs will fit in my smoker whole. Takes a while to smoke them, but well worth it. Worst problem I have with them is trying to get a bite before they get eaten up.

Great meal for a git-to-gether with all the buddies and their wives, for a horse shoe game or two.
Old July 4, 2006, 01:23 PM   #18
castnblast

Garyc, the hogs are great boar or sow. We shoot them down here in S. TX all the time. I really like the ones that are 150 or under. Over that they get a bit tough, but the flavor is not affected. The key is getting them cleaned, gutted and on ice immediately. Wash em down good. If you bust the bladder, toss anything that remotely smells of urine. If it gets in your icecheast, it will taint the whole carcus. I like deer and hog, but for table fair, you can't beat a hog...