The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 10, 2012, 02:14 PM   #1
The Bat Dad

Problem with Speedfeed Birdshead Pistol Grip (870), Pics Inside

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Speedfeed birdshead grips, especially for an 870/wingmaster.

I just got mine in, threw it on, and fitment is pretty bad. I've seen pictures online of birdshead grips that fit very well on the newer 870s but I haven't seen any on a wingmaster. Is this normal? Should I return it for another one and see how it goes or should I just drill out the hole on the grip so that I can position the grip better and possibly get a better lineup.

Any advice or shared knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to have to go through the hassle of returning it and getting another if I'm just going to have the same problem.

Old July 11, 2012, 06:41 PM   #2
dwaawd

I agree, bad fit. I think you are due a refund. In the mean time check out some alternatives:
http://www.rem870.com/2009/09/30/ove...hoate-tacstar/
http://www.zahal.org/products/remington-870-pistol-grip (free shipping)

Or, since you have a wood stock set consider cutting it down. Wood is good!
Click thumbs:

Old July 11, 2012, 08:19 PM   #3
The Bat Dad

I would love a wood pistol grip. It's what I wanted initially but there isn't anyone around here that I know of and trust to cut it down to a birds head grip. I already have a replacement on order, only problem is they're out of stock and aren't due for more until mid August.

Any suggestions on getting the wood cut down in Southern California?
Old July 11, 2012, 09:14 PM   #4
dwaawd

^^^ I don't know of any in So Cal. You might ask local gunsmiths or find one able to do it. Usually, the old timer gunsmiths are the ones with stock carving experience. Your local gun range might know a woodworker. You should have a design to go by. If your going to carve up a good stock it should be made into a grip of your design. I traced my stock for a lifesize template and made a few examples:
Old July 11, 2012, 10:13 PM   #5
The Bat Dad

Thanks for the advice!
Old July 13, 2012, 04:50 PM   #6
Lee Lapin

Did you remove the stock bearing plate when you took off the wood stock?

See http://www.urban-armory.com/diagrams/rem870.htm, Part # 60... many plastic stocks don't require the plate to be in place and are molded to fit without it, I don't know if this is the case with the birdshead stock but it might be worth checking.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old July 13, 2012, 04:53 PM   #7
The Bat Dad

Yes, I tried removing the plate to see if it would aid in fitment and there was a large gap between the grip and the receiver without it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old February 16, 2013, 01:42 PM   #8
Firewire

It would be cool if someone made a machined aluminum one!
Old February 16, 2013, 03:19 PM   #9
Waspinator

Take a look at this very long thread. Someone posted pictures of how they converted a standard wood stock over to a birdshead stock. Looks fairly easy... maybe not mess with the original stock that came with your gun easy.. but easy enough to buy an inexpensive aftermarket wood stock and convert it.

http://wwww.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?t=630148