The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 30, 2012, 07:34 PM   #1
usnavdoc

Moving to another state..thoughts on a gun safe.

So I am moving unexpectedly b/c of work. I have about 6 months but nonetheless I have to either:

(1) Move the safe with me: which carries a premium fee due to weight, not sure what happens if they drop it or damage it. May be unable to open it? The movers insuarance will not cover it sue to weight and bulk.

Also If my current house doesnt sell fast enough we will have to rent and I cant really see moving a safe into a renal house just to move it again.

(2) Sell it to an individual. I hate the idea of someone coming to my house to see my safe and knowing that there are unguarded things in the house. Seems like a prime thing criminals would key in on.

(3) Not sure if this is an option but I thought the company I bought it from might be willing to buy it back knowing im going to buy another one once we move.

(4) Sell it with the house. not a real good option for finances plus they may just not want it.

So I am wondering how other people have tackled this issue.

I appreciate it. Feel free to tell me I am overlooking something or whatever. Other than easy military moves where I pack up a few bags this is my first really big household move involving the sale of a house.
Old January 30, 2012, 09:42 PM   #2
a1abdj

Your best bet is probably selling it locally, and then buying a new one when you get to where you're going.

Selling to an individual will get you the most money. We usually sell our used safes at about half the price of a new one. In order to make money, we have to be into it for half of that including the expense of moving it back to our shop.

For example, let's say you have a safe that cost $2,000 new. I would sell it for $1,000. I can only have $500 into it, so if it would cost $250 to move, I would only pay you $250. On the flip side, you could sell it for $1,000 yourself to an individual.
Old February 1, 2012, 09:41 AM   #3
Willie Sutton

Quack, where are you PCS to and from? If to/from Pax River, come find me... ;-)

Sell the thing on Craigslist like all of the other impedimentia that never makes a PCS and buy a new one. They hold their value pretty well and the difference between "sell" and "buy" is your "cost to transport" if you will.

Other thought: Sell it on the bulletin board on base. Rod and Gun Club where you are? Trap and skeet range on base etc? Put up an ad and someone will buy it. Bulletin board at the local gun shop that seems to be at the gate of every base? Guys moving in and moving out always are looking for this stuff (sort of like the XO's car in the squadron... I think it's a 1972 Dodge Dart, It's stayed on base and the next XO has bought it from the old one for, oh.. about 30 years. What a POS, but it's a tradition).

There's got to be someone "in the next office" there who wants it. Base newspaper? Free classifieds there, and at least you'll have sort of pre-sorted possible buyers out of the populace at large.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; February 1, 2012 at 09:50 AM.