The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 21, 2011, 12:13 AM   #51
WyMark

For range ammo I shoot 115 gr FMJ Federal from Walmart, $11/box. I bought a box of Speer 147 gr Gold Dot for sd/hd, and shot ten of them in my P228 to make sure they cycled ok.

I didn't notice any difference, and the other 10 will sit in the box when I'm at the range, or in a mag when I'm at home, for 10 years unless and until I need them. Shooting them just to make sure they still work seems like a waste of money.
Old December 21, 2011, 11:03 AM   #52
Blair

I only have one type of ammo. So I practice with the same ammo I carry with.
Old December 22, 2011, 08:48 AM   #53
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc444
Autos shoot about the same regardless of the type bullet you are using.
That's true once the round makes it into the chamber. All rounds are not equal when it comes to how they feed and function. That's why I (and most others) believe it is important to test enough of what you're actually going to carry in your gun to make you feel comfortable. In my case, that's a couple of 50-rnd boxes without a malfunction of any kind.

After the initial testing for function and feed reliability I don't see the need to repeat the testing.

I don't repeat the testing when a new wonder bullet is introduced. I just don't buy them.
Old December 22, 2011, 11:27 AM   #54
MrDontPlay

In my revolver I shoot a cylinder of SD rounds every range trip to remind me what the recoil is like compared to my practice rounds. So every 4 range trips I have to buy a new box which isn't that bad.

With my 40 there's no way I could afford to practice with SD rounds. I know they work in my gun and that's good enough.

I carry FMJ in my 380.
Old December 22, 2011, 03:49 PM   #55
markj

Quote:
How often do YOU train with self defense rounds?
I really need to ask what is your def of a defensive round? Non metal like rubber? any lead round shot from a gun will do great harm so I was just wondering what the def is here.