The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 18, 2011, 11:46 AM   #1
microman

Charter Arms Forum?

I have found a forum for just about every gun brand there
is..yes even Bryco Jennings have their own

Where is the forum for Charter Arms??? puzzled?
Old March 18, 2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Sounds like you've just become forum owner, founder, and leader on the new Charter Arms Owner's Online Community.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 18, 2011, 12:07 PM   #3
CWKahrFan

I'll sign up... Love my recently acquired Bulldog .44... In fact I'm going to the range to try out some BVAC JHP's I just got for it now... Bye!
Old March 18, 2011, 02:40 PM   #4
franco45

Microman, when does your new forum start. I want to be a CHARTER member
Old March 18, 2011, 05:53 PM   #5
CWKahrFan

So my .44 Special Bulldog range session went really well. The 240 gr. Bitterroot Valley JHP's are my favorite low-cost load that I've found so far. PLENTY of thump. Nice big heavy bullet with just the right SD loading for the gun IMHO... Muzzle velocity rated at 810 fps... Strong enough for good penetration but it's not going to excessively pound the gun OR go through a couple of walls to cause inadvertant collateral damage... That's what I like about .44 Special as opposed to .44 Magnum for the SD needs of ordinary citizens in ordinary circumstances... Five big thumper rounds in a 21 oz. (!) unit... Love the concept!
Old March 18, 2011, 08:11 PM   #6
Nasty

Another satisfied Bulldog Pug shooter here.

I'd certainly join...
Old March 18, 2011, 08:28 PM   #7
Sarge

I picked up an old Charter Arms Undercover a few weeks ago. They are OK little 38 snubs but this one wanted to shoot left with most everything and it keyholed with my basic .38 reload.

I took a file to the right side of the front sight and knocked off about 0.040", touched up with cold blue and then ran another batch of reloads with the Hornady 158 SWCHP loaded out a tad longer to cut down on bullet jump. Zero is much better, the keyholing is gone and accuracy improved some. Shot this sitting on the ground and shooting over one knee this afternoon, 25 yards. Got four in 2 1/2" but tossed one right for 3 1/2" total. Not match accuracy, but not shabby for a snubnose either:

Don't know if it'll hang around long or not... I'm starting to wish it was a J frame.
Old March 18, 2011, 08:53 PM   #8
CWKahrFan

For 25 yds. with a snub?... That's GREAT!
Old March 18, 2011, 09:06 PM   #9
Sarge

Thanks, CW. There's no reason a short-barreled revolver should be any less accurate than a long-barreled one, but for many they are much harder to shoot well. My vision (even corrected) has always favored a short sight radius.
Old March 18, 2011, 10:26 PM   #10
CWKahrFan

I hear you... It's all about concentration and steadiness, eh?... Tiny gradations in sight picture are always tiny gradations in sight picture whether the barrel is long or short.
Old March 19, 2011, 03:26 AM   #11
8shot357

Quote:
..yes even Bryco Jennings have their own
Natures way of weeding out the stupid.
Old April 1, 2011, 05:40 PM   #12
Sassi

Charter Arms disassembly instructions

My old Charter Arms Undercover 38 has developed a few issues. The cylinder wobbles side to side and front to back to much. Yes I can send it off to the company and for $150 plus what it costs me to send it to them they will fix it. I have decided to see what I can do myself but am seeking disassembly instructions. Anyone have ideas on where to find this stuff?
Old April 1, 2011, 07:55 PM   #13
Sarge

I don't have disassembly instructions Sassi, but there's a pretty good schematic here.

http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Under_Path.pdf
Old April 1, 2011, 10:09 PM   #14
franco45

Sassi , if you deal with an FFL regularly see if they will ship it for you. They can ship guns cheaply by USPS. I sent an old Undercover back a year or so ago and they fixed it for free. Charter then paid shipping back to my FFL.
I have bought a new Undercover and a 357 Target Mag Pug since. Both have been excellent for the price point.
Old April 2, 2011, 08:55 AM   #15
Sassi

Thanks for the diagram. That helps me a lot on understanding the different parts. Maybe someone else will come up with more information, or even better maybe somebody out there has experienced this issue too with the cylinder wobbling side to side and moving more than usual from front to back, and knows the solution to fix it. I do not have to disassemble the entire gun. I only have to fix the cylinder and related parts.

This old Charter Arms Undercover has served me well for years. I am going to make the repair of the Charter Arms Undercover 38 my summer project. If I succeed I will have learned something along the way, and will feel more comfortable with future projects. If I fail then I pack it up and send it off to Charter Arms for repair.

Meanwhile I just bought a S&W Model 642 to replace the Charter Arms for a while. I am retired and need a 38 special here on our mini farm to take care of poisonous snakes during the summer months. From March through November each year I usually will kill from 12 to 20 poisonous snakes around here.
Old April 2, 2011, 12:28 PM   #16
g.willikers

These are not exactly the tightest guns on the market, and they do have some play in the cylinder.
But if it's not affecting the function and accuracy, you might be better off leaving well enough alone.
But, if you are like me and like to play with stuff -
Does the front to rear play in the cylinder occur when it's loaded with ammo and closed?
The reason to ask is that the rim of the rounds take up a lot of slack.
Reducing this slack for an empty cylinder can cause problems when the gun is loaded.
To reduce this slop, if required, try a shim over the shaft of crane, where the front of the cylinder butts up against it.
A very thin washer, of suitable diameter might work.
When you say the cylinder is wobbling side to side, is that a rotational thing or a left to right one.
A rotational one can be caused by the dimensions of the slots in the cylinder too large for the cylinder stop bolt.
Or by the stop bolt being lose in the frame and moving a bit, side to side.
A left and right one can be caused by a bent ejector rod or a crane that's lose in the frame.
Hope this helps some.
Who says revolvers are simple?
Old April 2, 2011, 04:42 PM   #17
schnarrgj

Recently, I got an original Charter Bulldog Pugs. Love the little pistol. Shooting a full house load, it gets your attention, but with lighter handloads, it is a lot of fun. It has become one of favorites.
Old April 2, 2011, 04:57 PM   #18
coop2564

I've got a Patriot .327 mag and love it. And I have had a couple sw mod 60 that were not as tight as this gun! The only thing I have found on these guns is the finish isn't quit up to sw but as far as operation and accuracy its a draw.
Old April 2, 2011, 05:25 PM   #19
OneShotVengeance

I just wanted to say I am a fan of Charter Arms. I just sold my .38 today though. Im pretty sad about it so I am probably going to go get another . I have used the Police Undercover .38 from charter arms for years as my CCW. I cant say one negative thing about them.
Old April 2, 2011, 05:58 PM   #20
9mm

Every company has their lemons they make. I must say Charter Arms is the company I have not heard much flack from. It's either Taurus or Rossi. When it comes to carrying to protect my life and/or other family members, I will pay the extra $20~$80 and get the S&W. I will buy less name brands for target shooting. Charter/Taurus revolvers are like $299~$330 vs a smith $360~$400[I am just talking about the snubnose .38's]

Charters look solid to me, nothing like a Ruger but a big step ahead of Taurus.
Old April 2, 2011, 07:27 PM   #21
ritepath

I can create a charter arms category at my wifes Christian forum...
Old April 2, 2011, 08:10 PM   #22
CWKahrFan

A couple of days ago, I decided to buy a dremel to play around with. This is my first project... custom grips for my Bulldog .44 Special. Started out with 1/2" thick Bocote wood... ended up with these. I'm going to leave the finish a little "rough" like this for practical gripping reasons 'cause it's one of my SD guns... (Not a barbecue gun... Still, it's sort of on the fancy end in terms of my humble collection.)

Last edited by CWKahrFan; April 3, 2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old April 2, 2011, 08:27 PM   #23
Charger Fan

I see that the OP hasn't come back just yet...maybe this is his own answer?? LOL!
Old April 2, 2011, 09:54 PM   #24
Crazy88Fingers

I just bought a used Bulldog today, and would now officially be interested in a dedicated forum.
Old April 3, 2011, 09:08 AM   #25
madcratebuilder

Sign me up! I'm a Bulldog fan.