The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 12, 2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Jofaba

Questions about reloading & safety

I've used the search and done the research, and these are the questions that I still have (after an entire weekend of research)

1) 7.62x39 ammo seems very expensive to reload. Loads and casings appear to be running at 2008 prices for surplus rounds. That's EACH COMPONENT, minus gunpowder and primers - essentially each component costs as much as a surplus military round!!

I only target shoot this round and am not against getting into casting lead bullets. Is this round worth getting into for reloading? Accuracy is not taken into account. It'd be a nice side effect, but its a "fun round" at the range, not competition grade. I value accuracy but my love for the sks does not blind me to the fact that it is not a tackdriver at 200 yards.

2) If the answer to number 1 is basically no, then my decision moves from single stage to turret or progressive. My other major caliber is 9mm luger. I just read a thread here about a Glock blowing up with a reload, and while I realize that reloads should be watched, I'm curious if you can unload reloads with the same off-handness that you can with factory bulk ammo. I'm worried that I'd have to inspect each casing to check for pressure problems etc with reloads, when my overall idea is to increase my shooting output. I am not a "mall ninja", and don't side-hand empty a clip to be cool, but I would like to feel comfortable double and triple tapping a target for accuracy and training purposes.

Can you reload and shoot fast? Even doubletaps seem dangerous, to a degree, with reloads.

3) What are the dangers during the reload process. Don't get me wrong, I am doing a lot of research before I ever reload. These forums, I've purchased the Lymans 49th edition and am reading it; but I have yet to see the dangers of reloading in, say, an apartment building. I've seen a video of someone using primers as an explosive slingshot load and I was pretty surprised at how explosive they are. I've only reloaded shotgun shells before, and the press obviously have a hole where live primers sit. I never realized how powerful they were though, until seeing that video.

My main worry is the legality of an unavoidable problem. I'm not talking fire, I mean what is the chance of a primer going off and getting charged with a crime similar to discharging a firearm in an illegal area.

4) It's a shame that you can't sell rounds to your friends because it seems like a great way to both help out your friends with some affordable rounds while making some extra cash, but what are the legalities regarding your reloads; can you even let someone shoot them once youre comfortable with a load? Or do most of you pretty much keep it personal. If I reload, and say that's the only set of rounds I have with me, is it best to say "I'm sorry, these are reloads and while I have no problem in theory with you firing them, the liability is too high and I have to say no"?

I really want to get into reloading, even if only for 9mm. I wish that I could help my friends out but I don't see that as an option. With my sks, I was looking at a single step press, but considering the high component costs of the rounds, I am not sure it's worth it. I may go with the Lee turret price if rifle rounds are out of the question for me, and that's the only rifle round I have right now besides .22, and single stage's are pretty cheap so I know I can buy one down the road if I get another centerfire rifle.

Thank you for all responses, and if I missed an answer that could have been obtained through search, trust me that I tried.
Old April 12, 2009, 09:28 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
7.62x39 ammo seems very expensive to reload.
yes, it is. Not really advantageous to reload because there is mil-surp available pretty cheap.

Quote:
I'm worried that I'd have to inspect each casing to check for pressure problems etc with reloads, when my overall idea is to increase my shooting output. I am not a "mall ninja", and don't side-hand empty a clip to be cool, but I would like to feel comfortable double and triple tapping a target for accuracy and training purposes.

Can you reload and shoot fast? Even doubletaps seem dangerous, to a degree, with reloads.
Yes you can reload and shoot fast. You need to find a reloading method that does not allow you to double charge a case. With a turret press it is very easy ti visually inspect the powder in the case before seating a bullet. Reloading takes concentration and NO distractions.

Quote:
I mean what is the chance of a primer going off and getting charged with a crime similar to discharging a firearm in an illegal area.
Zero.

Quote:
can you even let someone shoot them once youre comfortable with a load? Or do most of you pretty much keep it personal. If I reload, and say that's the only set of rounds I have with me, is it best to say "I'm sorry, these are reloads and while I have no problem in theory with you firing them, the liability is too high and I have to say no"?
Your reloads are YOUR responsibility. I let my immediate family shoot my reloads and that is it. There seem to be a lot of sue-happy people out there.

If you wanna help your friends out, have them come over and help you load them. It can help increase production. BUT, each person must hold up their end of the process. If one person is doing their task half-*$%, then bad things can happen. Trust is paramount.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old April 12, 2009, 10:05 PM   #3
Sevens

The problem with reloading 7.62x39 is threefold. First trouble is that milsurp ammo is quite cheap compared to normal centerfire calibers, so making it worth reloading is tougher. Compare boxes of Hornady or Winchester .30-06 to what it costs for a wooden crate of chinese x39, and the math becomes pretty obvious.

Second problem is that brass is tough to get cheaply... with 9mm, the stuff is e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e, and you can pick it up for free or buy lots of it, used. Most of the x39 brass is chicom milsurp crap, so there's no reloadable brass geting spewed all over every range. Reloadable x39 brass is expensive, and nobody who has actually bought it is scattering it on a range. Not only is it expensive, it's scarce, since nobody shoots it and leaves it like so many other calibers.

Third problem is less of a problem... but the bore size isn't the standard .30 on this side of the globe, it's more of a .311 or .312, so bullet selection is smaller and huge savings aren't as typical.

Primer going off: chances depend entirely on your care and skill at the bench. The noise is that of a loud cap gun, much less than a firecracker. Like a party popper. In a small room, it can ring your ears. So no worries about police and criminal charges. More worry about primers going off in a chain reaction and sending shrapnel 360-degrees. Chance of it happening? Well, there are some reloaders who have never popped one.

Can you shoot fast, do you need to inspect each reload or the case after firing a reloaded round? Not at all. You do heavy inspection when you are developing loads (trying out the first load with a new bullet or a new powder or heavier powder charge) but once you've tested and "proven" a load, then you make a zillion of them with no changes and you needn't inspect them again if you don't want to. If it's a good, safe load, the chances that it's going to be a problem depend squarely upon your techniques at the load bench. A good handloader knows that his ammo is better than factory ammo.

Legalities: You must have a federal license to sell ammo that you reloaded. As for what you are liable for? It can't be explained with any more authority than simply to say the truth: You can be sued for anything. It's the likelihood that you are successfully sued that matters. For that, talk to a lawyer. Your buddy could sue you if he shoots his own store bought ammo through your handgun, couldn't he? It's not illegal to let someone shoot your reloads... it's only illegal to sell your reloads without a license.

One thing that every new guy who is considering reloading should be reminded of-- There is a good chance you are here because your ammo supply has recently gotten very expensive and scarce. The bad news is: same thing is happening to reloading tools and components. The price is not dropping on these items, and finding the stuff you need is getting to be a real #$%#@'er. The tools (presses, die sets) are tough to find in stock. The bullets, and much moreso-- the powder and primers are getting downright ugly.
Old April 13, 2009, 07:07 AM   #4
Jofaba

Thank you for all your responses. My replies will be short I am afraid, as I just lost my internet. Should be back up and active come Friday. I'll stop by my parents every couple of days (maybe every day, who knows) to try and keep up. Thanks again!