The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2009, 08:34 PM   #1
GuitarXM

Bullet Seating Depth using RCBS Micrometer

I have 308 winchester cases...
I was wondering if anyone out there has successfully used the RCBS Precision Micrometer to determine bullet seating depth...

I am a new reloader, and I know that the bullet that comes with the Micrometer is different from a regular 308 bullet since the ogive is different.

Has anyone used the RCBS precision micrometer to determine seating depth?
Old March 13, 2009, 12:58 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I've tried, but never trusted the result. Went over to the Hornady Overall Gauge system (still Stoney Point when I got them). The problem is getting the tension setting on the bullet right. I was never satisfied that I could tell whether the bullet had jammed into the throat hard enough be stuck enough that it pulled part way back out on extraction?

In retrospect, I think the easiest thing is to make it moderately loose and push it into the chamber by hand. Use a cleaning rod on the bullet to push it back out so you don't alter its position in the case. Measure gently so as not to scew the bullet into the case.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 13, 2009, 03:22 PM   #3
30Cal

Same here. It's not a good tool for that purpose.

I take a bullet of my choice, seat it long in a sized case, and stuff it into the chamber with my thumb. If it sticks, it's in the rifling. If it falls out from gravity alone, it's not in the rifling. Seat deeper in 0.005" increments till it sticks, then measure in the case mic. It's a heck of a lot more repeatable than trying to use the RCBS dummy case/bullet.