The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Should I switch calibers to accomdate current ammunition availability
Switch to 40 S&W 7 13.46%
Keep the 9mm, run 200-300 rounds though, and deplete the reserve 9 17.31%
Keep the 9mm, but only run 100-150 rounds for break in 32 61.54%
Other sugestion left in the replies... 4 7.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 6, 2013, 01:18 AM   #1
JimmyR

Buying a new pistol- should I look at a new caliber?

OK, so here is my dilema. I have a Beretta px4 full size 9mm pistol on layaway. With 9mm ammo drying up like it has been, I am beginning to consider going to my LGS and see if they have the same weapon in .40, and if they would be willing to let me switch layaway guns.

Reasons for switching: 9mm ammo is drying up around here. I have a few hundred rounds tucked away, but at this rate I don't know when we will see it come back. If I am going to carry this gun, then I need to fire 200-300 rounds before carrying. That would deplete my supply drastically.

Reasons for keeping: I would rather have the 9mm, since I already have 2 other guns in 9mm, and i'd rather not add another caliber. I personally don't see enough benefits in the 40 S&W round to justify adding it when 9mm is available.

Should I look at switching calibers to accomdate the current availability of ammunition, keep using the caliber I am used to and deplete my supply, keep the 9mm caliber but limit "break-in" rounds to 100-150,or some other suggestion?

I'm looking for suggestions from the TFL crew. I am not debating the merits of either round for SD use, since it really doesn't matter, and I don't want this thread closed because people can't help but beat a dead horse.
Old February 6, 2013, 01:30 AM   #2
Theohazard

Demand for firearms is already starting to slow significantly from the panic levels of a few weeks ago. I predict demand for ammo will slow soon as well, and when the suppliers finally start to catch up you'll start to see a lot more 9mm in stores.

I don't recommend buying a gun in a caliber you don't want just because of a temporary shortage. 9mm is the most popular self-defense caliber, so once the market stabilizes it will become plentiful once again.
Old February 6, 2013, 01:37 AM   #3
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard
Demand for firearms is already starting to slow significantly from the panic levels of a few weeks ago. I predict demand for ammo will slow soon as well, and when the suppliers finally start to catch up you'll start to see a lot more 9mm in stores.
I was kinda thinking that, but I wasn't paying attention during the 94 ban (I was about 10 at the time), so I wasn't sure what to expect.
Old February 6, 2013, 01:48 AM   #4
Theohazard

The biggest difference between 1994 and now is that nothing is going to pass ban-wise this time. And even if it does, 9mm ammo will still be cheaper and more plentiful than .40 once this ammo shortage ends, and I think it will soon.
Old February 6, 2013, 02:11 AM   #5
JimmyR

Thanks Theo. I'm hoping you're right...i got spoiled on WWB 9mm for $23 for 100 rounds- I'm struggling to get 50 rounds of 9mm for that price now!
Old February 6, 2013, 09:54 AM   #6
bossman

I voted for keep the 9mm and shoot it some till the ammo gets back to normal. I don't believe this is the year of the zombies attack, so just keep a box in reserve for home defense.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old February 6, 2013, 10:04 AM   #7
EMH

Wait till people get their credit card bills in and they gotta start selling their stuff to pay it off.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:18 AM   #8
redhologram

I voted for keeping the 9mm. The Chicken Little syndrome will calm down soon enough and ammo will start becoming more available. It's like how everyone runs out buying milk, bread, water and batteries when we are due for bad weather..
Old February 6, 2013, 11:36 AM   #9
bigghoss

Get into reloading, buy the 9mm, then run at least 500 rounds through it before carrying. And then give it the 2000 round challenge.
Old February 6, 2013, 12:37 PM   #10
The Great Mahoo

Buy the 9mm if you prefer that caliber. You might not like the 40 and regret the purchase later if you only buy for supply reasons.

That said, I do like having a diversity of at least a few types of calibers, so I can shoot whatever is available. But I do make a point to buy some fun guns for just that reason.
Old February 6, 2013, 01:54 PM   #11
BikeNGun1974

so, you're asking if you should switch to another caliber that still requires the same 200 rounds to break it in, but costs more?

Is your logic that you can find .40 more easily?
Old February 6, 2013, 02:10 PM   #12
Cheapshooter

Stay with the 9MM if that is your preferred chambering. The panic will end, and the ammo shelves will fill again. Consider as mentioned before getting into reloading. Although primers are also in short supply in some areas.
Although I do agree with a break-in, or as I call it a shake down period before I trust a firearm for carry, I usually accept it's reliability with 100 rounds of range ammo, and a box or two (40-50 rounds) of my chosen carry loads.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 6, 2013, 02:18 PM   #13
TheNocturnus

I had the same dilemma. I ended up switching to the .40 because I can find it fairly easily. Once all of this craziness settles down I will likely trade towards a 9mm.

I got a Kahr CW40 by the way.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old February 6, 2013, 02:34 PM   #14
BigJimP

9mm ammo is available in a lot of places in my area at around $ 20 - $ 24 for a box of 50 rds..../ will the price come down, it should, but I really have no idea if it will or not....

but changing to a .40S&W - because there is ammo available temporarily, makes little to no sense to me...especially if you have other 9mm guns now.

If the new gun runs reliably after 100 - 200 rds then make a decision to carry it or not....or carry one of your other 9mm's..../ or go to a .40S&W if you want to - but in the long run, it won't be less expensive to shoot a .40S&W than it is to shoot a 9mm....
-------------
and if you can't afford 9mm ammo at $ 24 for a box of 50 rds...then consider reloading...
--------------
Personally I choose to carry a 1911 in .45 acp anyway ...and I reload all of my practice ammo ...so none of this buying frenzy nonsense matters much to me..../ I don't get why you want another gun right now at what are often inflated prices right now anyway ....?? ( not that you shouldn't buy it - if its what you want / and pay whatever it takes to practice with it )...it just seems like a poor time to get all worked up over a new gun if you can't afford the price of ammo to practice with it - or break it in - or to practice with your other guns.

I like shooting for recreation - and personally, I practice with at least 200 rds a week ...in my carry guns.../ but that's partly why I reload...
Old February 6, 2013, 02:54 PM   #15
chris in va

Quote:
Thanks Theo. I'm hoping you're right...i got spoiled on WWB 9mm for $23 for 100 rounds- I'm struggling to get 50 rounds of 9mm for that price now.
I remember around 2003 it was $10 for the 100 pack. Good thing I reload now.

Quote:
.Get into reloading, buy the 9mm, then run at least 500 rounds through it before carrying. And then give it the 2000 round challenge.
Ditto.
Old February 6, 2013, 10:06 PM   #16
bbqncigars

9mm for sure. Thoroughly clean and lube your new carry piece. Then run 100 rounds through. Field clean/lube (if needed), then run a mag full of mixed ammo. If it doesn't choke then, it's not likely to happen when you really need it. My PM9 didn't need nearly the break in that was suggested. If I'd ran it straight out of the box, maybe it would have.
Old February 6, 2013, 10:50 PM   #17
Mezzanine

Do you enjoy shooting 9mm more than .40? Are you willing to shoot the .40 once 9mm returns to the shelf at a good price?
Old February 7, 2013, 01:30 AM   #18
wstein

I agree with everyone else, since you already have 9mm's and enjoy shooting that caliber.....stick with it. Don't buy another caliber just because the ammo for it is more plentiful. And the fact that you don't see a justified difference in bullet performance to jump from 9mm to 40SW.

I don't have a good signature.....
Old February 7, 2013, 02:10 AM   #19
JimmyR

Lots of good replies, and I will address some of them here:

As to my thoughts of switching calibers, it is more to do with access to ammunition rather that pure cost. Many places around me don't have ANY target 9mm, and the SD ammo is flying off the shelves. While my EDC is a 9mm, by owning an additional 9mm that will require regular practice, my question was more about the long term availability of ammo. Plus, as a small time collector, I was considering owning a different caliber, for something different. I consider guns to be tools, and the more tools in my tool box that I can use effectively, the better.

I'm gonna stick with the 9mm, for many of the reasons you guys suggested, but also because I had more 9mm tucked away than I thought. I keep them in a drawer, and when i looked at it today, I realized I had about 200 rounds more than I thought. How convenient!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezzanine
Do you enjoy shooting 9mm more than .40? Are you willing to shoot the .40 once 9mm returns to the shelf at a good price?
good question, and the answer would be a definite maybe. That's part of my hesitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNocturnus
I had the same dilemma. I ended up switching to the .40 because I can find it fairly easily. Once all of this craziness settles down I will likely trade towards a 9mm.

I got a Kahr CW40 by the way.
I was thinking about doing this myself, if I didn't like the 40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimP
9mm ammo is available in a lot of places in my area at around $ 20 - $ 24 for a box of 50 rds..../ will the price come down, it should, but I really have no idea if it will or not....
If only I were so lucky...

Quote:
but changing to a .40S&W - because there is ammo available temporarily, makes little to no sense to me...especially if you have other 9mm guns now.
Which is why I am bouncing it off you guys first

Quote:
If the new gun runs reliably after 100 - 200 rds then make a decision to carry it or not....or carry one of your other 9mm's..../ or go to a .40S&W if you want to - but in the long run, it won't be less expensive to shoot a .40S&W than it is to shoot a 9mm....
-------------
and if you can't afford 9mm ammo at $ 24 for a box of 50 rds...then consider reloading...
I have debated this, but for now, I am gonna have to put that off. I know it will save me money in the end, but I would rather own my home (as opposed to renting) before I get into reloading. Just me, probably being paranoid.

Quote:
I don't get why you want another gun right now at what are often inflated prices right now anyway ....?? ( not that you shouldn't buy it - if its what you want / and pay whatever it takes to practice with it )...it just seems like a poor time to get all worked up over a new gun if you can't afford the price of ammo to practice with it - or break it in - or to practice with your other guns.
Believe me, I have been eying one of these beauties for a while, and my LGS hasn't jacked the price on them. Still sitting below MSRP. For some reason, around here, the px4 just isn't getting any love. Not that I mind...
Old February 7, 2013, 06:30 AM   #20
9ballbilly

I personally like having several guns in different calibers for different occasions. That's just me though, if you have no desire to own anything other than 9mm don't let the availability of ammo drive you to purchase a gun in another caliber you're not happy with. Just my two cents worth.
Old February 7, 2013, 07:10 AM   #21
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9ballbilly
I personally like having several guns in different calibers for different occasions. That's just me though, if you have no desire to own anything other than 9mm don't let the availability of ammo drive you to purchase a gun in another caliber you're not happy with. Just my two cents worth.
I am by no means a caliber snob. My caliber list includes:
9mm
32 ACP
32 Long
357 Magnum
38/200
22 Short

I'm not opposed to 40 S&W, I was just trying to clarify that I was trying to avoid the 9mm vs. 40 S&W vs. 45 war.
Old February 7, 2013, 07:20 AM   #22
Pilot

Keep the 9MM, shoot your new PX4, it is a fantastic pistol. You WILL able to get 9MM at a decent price, as the panic is already waning. Do yourself a favor. But an inexpensive single stage reloading press, and some components, and start reloading. Keep enough components on hand so that you'll be able to have 9MM or any other ammo through these panics. I was still able to buy reloading components for my various calibers even at the height of the panic.
Old February 7, 2013, 12:01 PM   #23
TheNocturnus

Quote:
I was thinking about doing this myself, if I didn't like the 40.
I totally agree. I am not a big fan of the .40 round either. It is not very fun to shoot. I only got my .40 as a slim single stack pistol to carry on days I need extra concealment. If I didn't need it I would not have got it.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old February 7, 2013, 12:32 PM   #24
BigJimP

Ok, so it sounds like you're thinking this thru pretty well...

I'm not saying don't buy a .40S&W ..../ everybody should buy and shoot whatever they want ! ....and I have identical platforms in both 9mm and .40S&W...( Sig 239's, Sig 226's and 1911's )......and over the last several years when a good deal showed up ...I just picked them up as the budget allowed.

As it turns out for me ....I shoot a lot of 9mm in a 5" 1911 ...( I carry an identical gun in .45 acp). I usually run about 6 boxes/week thru the 9mm version and two boxes/week thru the .45 acp version. So that is my "Tactical Practice" for the week....double taps, reload drills, in and out of holsters...multiple targets...etc. Since I reload - 9mm is relativley cheap to shoot ( $6 a box ) ....gives me some recoil but doesn't beat me up (I have some arthritis, hand, elbow, shoulder issues )...and a few boxes of .45 acp ---just because I love the caliber ( and I'm an old school 1911 guy - Wilson Combat 1911's - and I will always carry a 5" 1911 ).

For the rest of my shooting ...once in a while its one of the Sig's in 9mm or
.40S&W - or I make it a Sig day ( where I exercise the 239, 226, X-Five, etc).....or I make it a revolver day - where I exercise a variety of S&W revolvers model 19's, 27's, 66's, 686's - 29's, 629's ....in .357 mag and .44 mag...../ and somedays its a rimfire day ...../ and its a mix of "bulls eye" shooting and Tactical Drills....but its more about having fun / than "practice".

But honestly, the .40S&W caliber for me,.gets lost a little in the mix ....my usage by caliber is about:
60% 9mm
20% .45 acp
15% .357 mag
.....( and less than 5% .40S&W )....

and its not the guns - because I have some great guns in .40S&W...( Wilson Combat 1911, Sig X-Five L-1 model, all stainless Sig 226, a little Sig 239 ...and its not the recoil, although the .40S&W is a little snappy - and I load a 180gr bullet exclusively for that caliber...its mostly because I like shooting the 9mm, .45 acp and .357 Mag...and the .40S&W just gets left out.
-----------------
Now, if this ammo shortage is not short term....that's another reason to add a .40S&W if you want to ....but I think its short term. I think as soon as the middle man/profiteers/hoarders ....run out of money, ammo will be readily available again in all calibers...maybe at old prices, maybe not....but I think it'll be available.

But don't let me talk you out of a new gun .../ this is a gun forum ...buy as many as you want !! ( I have !! ) ....and I have virtually everything I want - with about 25 semi-autos / and about 25 S&W Revolvers - and one Single Action Freedom Arms...

Last edited by BigJimP; February 7, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old February 7, 2013, 01:54 PM   #25
jrothWA

Keep what you have and..

get a manual Lee loader to keep you in practice ammo. Keep the reverse as is!

Or ask a buddy to teach you reloading and you supply dies, brass, etc.