The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 30, 2010, 05:22 PM   #1
lundtroller

Pre-war Model 70 30-06 info?

I just purchased a Pre-war M70 in 30-06, serial# 3X! Condition is 90-95%. Bridge has no extra holes. Missing front hood. Rear sight complete. Buttplate intact.
Just curious as to what approximate value might be given the low serial #, and how could one get additional information on the gun ie. where it was sold, date of production, etc.
The gun was a pawn and they didn't want to give me much info on the previous owner. As original as it is and with the low serial #, I can't help to think that there might not be a interesting story with this rifle!
Thanks!
Old March 30, 2010, 06:09 PM   #2
30-30remchester

Your rifle should have been made in 1936. Any rifles this early are desireable for their early date. I hope you dont mind a little advise, PLEASE do nothing that will alter it in ANY way. Few have survived in unaltered condition. Could you post some photos?
Old March 31, 2010, 08:24 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

That rifle should also have the old type safety, but some were altered later.

If the receiver is not drilled and tapped, it is likely the original owner didn't use a scope so did not alter the safety. Those early rifles are very sought after and we should thank you for rescuing it from Bubba.

Jim
Old April 1, 2010, 11:11 AM   #4
lundtroller

The gun is unaltered. It has been used but is still in ~90% condition. The floorplate and trigger guard seem to show the most wear. I can't tell if it is so much from use vs. other causes. I know a lot of the old M21's I've seen had similar wear/flaking on the bottom of the receiver. It still had an old black rubber sleeve/pad on the buttstock which literally fell/crumbled off when I removed it. This left a little extra "wear" in the affected area but it does not detract from the gun. It is also missing the sight hood. Other than that it is original, original, original, sights, buttplate, and spatulate safety! I am trying to post some pictures over on the Campfire Forums if you want to look at it. Thread is "Pre-war Model 70, please advise!" in the Hunting Rifle forum.
Lundtroller