The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 14, 2011, 01:48 AM   #1
KaNcEr

some legal questions about my AK47

Im not too familiar with all the NFA stuff, i do know a little bit, but not enough to answer these questions myself.

I know that it is legal to own a fully automatic weapon. I know their is a good deal of paperwork to fill out. I know that you have to pay a $200 tax. And I know that they are very expensive.

Thats about the extent to what I know, keep that in mind when telling why I can or cannot do this.

I was looking at the trigger group in my AK47 the other day and pretty much figured out how to make it fully auto... not going into detail because I dont wanna give anyone any ideas of doing something they shouldn't. But basicly their would be no select fire, only 'safe' and 'full auto'.

So I pondered to myself:

Why cant i own a modified trigger?
Can I legally modify it myself?
Can I legally purchase a modified trigger?
If theres no special license or certificate I need to purchase or own an NFA weapon, why can I just have one that didnt come from a class 3 dealer?
And if this is legal, who would I need to contact?

Anyway those are just a few of the questions stewing in my brain atm. And I know that cant be all there is between my semi auto and your fully auto because I cant select a single fire option. But hey if I can legally get around spending $14,000 for an awesome toy.... Im all about it.

Also, I know that most of you are probably not lawyers, but I figured your input would give me a good starting place.

Thanks
Josh
Old November 14, 2011, 02:22 AM   #2
Evil Monkey

domestic manufacture of full auto weapons are banned in 1986.

You can only get what existed before 1986.
BREAKING NEWS: Local man found in the street yelling "1911" and "45" while drooling, more at 11:00.
Old November 14, 2011, 05:19 AM   #3
mboylan

Converting an AK47 requires machining the receiver. Just machining the receiver will get you 10 years in Federal prison even if you don't install the autosear

There were less than 100 bring back AK47s registered before the 1968 ban on imported machine guns. They start at around $25,000. There were about a thousand Egyptian and Chinese semi-autos converted before the registry was closed in 1986. One of those will run you about $13,500.
Old November 14, 2011, 11:02 AM   #4
chasep255

Illegal! Only a Class 2 manufacturer can make a post-86 full auto.
Old November 14, 2011, 02:18 PM   #5
mboylan

Oh, I think I know where you are going with your home modification. It is very dangerous. You would have be causing a run away slam fire. There is a possibility of an out of battery detonation, a short hospital stay and a long stay in Federal PMITA prison.
Old November 14, 2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Skans

The home modification alluded to is illegal and there is no possible way to make it legal - i.e. no tax stamp available for guns made after 1986, like others have said. Also, I doubt that it would work, other than perhaps an occasional double before it jams.

Unfortunately, legal machine guns start at around $3,500, excluding transfer costs and $200 stamp tax. There's no way around that.

If you want something that simulates full-auto without going to jail and without ruining a gun, look into building a semi-auto AR-15 and get a Slide-Fire stock. All in, it should cost you about $1,100.
Old November 14, 2011, 06:38 PM   #7
KaNcEr

So basically, no civilian can own a post 86' fully auto firearm, period? As in... there is no way to legally own a full auto SCAR as a civilian? Or any other weapon created after 86'? And if I were to buy a pre-86' semi automatic AK-47 and have it converted via manufacturer (or whoever), it would still be illegal? So there is absolutely no way to get one on the cheap?

boo
Old November 14, 2011, 06:51 PM   #8
Evil Monkey

Quote:
So basically, no civilian can own a post 86' fully auto firearm, period? As in... there is no way to legally own a full auto SCAR as a civilian? Or any other weapon created after 86'? And if I were to buy a pre-86' semi automatic AK-47 and have it converted via manufacturer (or whoever), it would still be illegal? So there is absolutely no way to get one on the cheap?
no to everything.
BREAKING NEWS: Local man found in the street yelling "1911" and "45" while drooling, more at 11:00.
Old November 14, 2011, 07:21 PM   #9
Stressfire

Quote:
So there is absolutely no way to get one on the cheap?
Nope, talk to your Congressman, then wait for hell to freeze over
Old November 14, 2011, 07:38 PM   #10
chasep255

It actually has to me registered not made before 86. I could not legally convert my 1970s manufacture AK legally.
Old November 14, 2011, 07:45 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW. I think you might have in mind playing with the sear engagements so the hammer will follow the bolt down. Don't do that, please. The result would be illegal and could do irreparable harm to the rifle if it fires out of battery.

When a high pressure round is involved, auto weapons must use a system to ensure the bolt is fully locked before the sear is released to let the hammer fall. In the AK, that involves a special bolt carrier, other special parts and a receiver made to accommodate them. Not that easy to do, and it really isn't worth jail time for the chance to waste a lot of ammo.

Jim
Old November 14, 2011, 09:59 PM   #12
KaNcEr

No worries. I was only going to do so if it was legal... in which case it would be safe. but its neither, so I dont plan on following through.
Old November 16, 2011, 12:54 AM   #13
MagnumWill

Kancer, there's an easy solution to this- learn to bump fire. With a little practice, it's easy to do (and since it's your finger pulling the trigger every time, it's still semi-auto). You will quickly find out that a high rate of fire quickly saps the green stuff out of your wallet, so you kind of lose interest in it