The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 24, 2019, 03:18 AM   #1
Geezerbiker

1 used case in a box of new brass...

Sometimes it takes me a long while to get around to using some of the reloading supplies I buy. In this case it's a box of 250 pieces of General Dynamics .223 cases.

I bought them with the intent to load them for my varmint rifle but I traded it off. So I figured I'd save these for my .223 single shot and use all the other .223 brass I have for my AR.

Anyway I got around to processing them for loading. First I trimmed, then chamfered and debured them. I have to say these cases needed the least effort to process than any other brass I've ever used. It's too bad these are no longer available and I could only afford 250 at the time I got them. These seem to be the best quality brass I've ever seen...

Now for the strange part. After processing them, I put them in 9mm ammo box trays for when I get around to priming them. After that it was easy to see that 249 of them were shiny inside and one was dark. In further inspection it looks like someone popped a primer in that case then tossed it back in with the new cases. I ran it though the sizer die and it wasn't fired.

I ran a patch inside the case on the end of a small screwdriver and the patch came out green. I'm wondering if a corrosive primer was fired in the case. This is a rather long winded should I used it or toss it question...

Tony
Old May 24, 2019, 05:43 AM   #2
Mobuck

Probably just got a drop of sweat, spit, or other moisture inside during packaging.
Old May 24, 2019, 06:59 AM   #3
higgite

Is the primer pocket dirty or corroded? (Assuming there's not a spent primer in it. )
Old May 24, 2019, 02:00 PM   #4
Geezerbiker

The primer pocket is dark but otherwise clean...
Old May 24, 2019, 06:51 PM   #5
RC20

No corrosive primers in 223.
Old May 24, 2019, 09:30 PM   #6
Geezerbiker

After looking at it again, a chemical spill of some kind inside the case is making the most sense. I'm going to clean it out with Ed's Red bore cleaner then flush it with some acetone and load it up with the rest...

Thanks guys for your opinions.

Tony
Old May 25, 2019, 09:26 AM   #7
F. Guffey

Quote:
After looking at it again, a chemical spill of some kind inside the case is making the most sense. I'm going to clean it out with Ed's Red bore cleaner then flush it with some acetone and load it up with the rest...
I would suggest you mark the case. There is a remote chance there are chemicals that could effect the powder and or case. If what I do effects one I want all of the cases effected.

I do not know how but I would prefer working with one case short, or groups of 100, or groups of 50 etc..

F. Guffey
Old May 25, 2019, 10:32 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Geezerbiker,

I like the drop of sweat theory. A little salt and humidity above about 70% will do that. The best thing is chemical cleaning with something water-based to be sure to dissolve the salt. A cup of water with a quarter teaspoon of citric acid would be ideal. After the corrosion is gone, rinse in running cold water and then pour a little distilled water over it to keep the watermarks away. Citric acid treatment leaves the surface relatively passive and is used to treat brass for long term storage.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 25, 2019, 10:47 AM   #9
Jim Watson

Huh, didn't know there was Gendye brass on the commercial market.

I would clean the dull one, mark it, and use it for sighter shots.
Old May 25, 2019, 11:20 AM   #10
LineStretcher

The golden rule is that if you are unsure of it, toss it. It's one case and isn't worth the time or the worry. It is sort of interesting that you think a primer might have been fired in it. Want to get rid of more? Just weigh, sort and do a hardness test. You might be surprised how many are not perfect.
Old May 25, 2019, 01:18 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

General Dynamics .223 cases were made in our old IVI plant in Quebec. Our government basically gave it to SNC Lavalin(same guys Junior Trudeau is protecting. If you've ever heard of that.) then to GD.
That being whined about, IVI has always made really good brass and mediocre ammo. However, brass doesn't need to be shiney inside or out. It needs to be clean. "Dark" doesn't necessarily mean corrosion either. Brass turns black when it oxidizes. No big deal.
"...patch came out green..." That is corrosion but still nothing to worry about. Kind of doubt it was a drop of anybody's sweat though.
Nick's "a quarter teaspoon of citric acid" is a quarter teaspoon of plain white vinegar.
In any case, like LineStretcher says, it's not worth worrying about.
Old May 25, 2019, 03:13 PM   #12
Jim Watson

Quote:
Nick's "a quarter teaspoon of citric acid" is a quarter teaspoon of plain white vinegar.
Nope.
Citric acid is sold in powder form. A quarter teaspoon is a quarter teaspoon of citric acid.
White vinegar is 5% acetic acid. A quarter teaspoon is about 1/80th teaspoon of acetic acid.

Last edited by Jim Watson; May 25, 2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old May 25, 2019, 03:20 PM   #13
hounddawg

not sure when the last corrosive primer was sold for reloading but in manufactured ammo it has not been around since the 90's

http://www.scotts-gunsmithing.com/f-...cleaning-tips/

A lot of people can't believe I clean my AR's in a mop sink with soap and hot water but it works, read the article.

Mop sink with hot soapy water and a couple of brushes is cheaper and easier than Ballistol and Q tips
Old May 25, 2019, 05:34 PM   #14
Jim Watson

I don't know of any corrosive priming in .223. And in any case it does not attack brass, steel is what is at risk.
Old May 26, 2019, 01:01 AM   #15
Geezerbiker

I assumed because it was black inside, that one case was used. It's possible some chemical used in production was inside. Anyway it cleaned out easily and is tarnished inside but otherwise clean so I'm going to load it with the rest.

Tony
Old May 26, 2019, 01:04 PM   #16
Jim Watson

So look at it when fired and see if it is damaged. I doubt it will be, but that is a worst case as suggested in some posts.
And look at the target, did it shoot in the group?