The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 19, 2013, 04:45 PM   #1
dontcatchmany

"Pulled the Trigger Again Today"

For the fourth time since early May I have succumbed to the Black Handgun Disease.......how many more lives does this cat have!?

I have been researching the Ruger SR22 for a few days after having gone to the range with my new Sig P938 and found that the small grip was causing me to shoot to the right and downward (I am left handed). I do not do this with my other bigger semis.

Any way I was looking for an excuse for another Black Pistol and reasoned that I needed a small one to practice my trigger pull a little cheaper than 9mm or .40 cal....and I have an ample supply of 22LR. I kinda like my logic.

Well, after tilling my garden for an hour and a half (getting ready for a fall crop) and sweating like crazy in the heat I needed a break so I headed to town to go to the three gun shops locally to see what they had.

Well, guess what, the first one had the SR22 in black (my favorite color). MMMMMMMM I thought. The price was 399 which might be more than some on the internet but 65 bucks less than a range I was at yesterday and add shipping and FFL and the internet would push that at least...and this one had the threaded barrel which might come in handy later.....they also had a non-threaded SR22 for the same price.

After another three guns in a couple of months I was looking for a deal.....I had a S&W 686-6 7 shot 357 Magnum at the house that I seem to never shoot. So I asked the fella there if they did trades.....and he said yes, but the owner was not there and he could not do it and I needed to go home to get the S&W also.

So off to the house I tripped....was a decent round trip, but I needed an excuse to not get back in the garden with the heat.

Got the S&W out and cleaned it up and found the box and the original firing casing (was March of 2002) and I purchased the gun used in 2006/2007 for about 275 bucks. I have not fired it since around 2009.

Did not know what I could get for it, but what the heck.

Went back to the store and the owner was there and she took the S&W and came back a while later and re-checked the price on the SR22.
Came to me and said even trade and that included the tax.

I was just fine with that on a weapon that I only look at about once a year and that to clean it. Walked out the store with no bucks out of my pocket. And I have a couple of revolvers any way that I do shoot...all 357 Mag.

So now I have another toy....How did I do....I think pretty good.

I swear this is my last gun....except I got my eye on a .45....maybe...maybe!
Old July 19, 2013, 06:04 PM   #2
redhologram

It's nice to know there is someone else with this disease. We are constantly buying, selling, trading guns around here I lose track of what we have and don't have (other than the one's we deem are absolute keepers). But just here in July there's been probably 5 new guns bought, and 2 sold. We like the variety and having the opportunity to try out various guns.
Old July 19, 2013, 07:51 PM   #3
RLWII

Just another one of the "infected" checking in. I understand the problem completely. Redhologram, are you going to be in Robertsdale this weekend?
Old July 19, 2013, 07:55 PM   #4
TunnelRat

You did an even trade of a 686 7 shot for a Ruger SR22? I think you got hosed.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 19, 2013, 08:03 PM   #5
Red Dog

DCM, I hate to say it, but you have a fatal disease if you don't perform these steps immediately.

1.) Get all your guns back into their purchasing cases.

2.) Go down to your local FFL.

3.) Mail them all to me for isolation.

The SOONER you do this the BETTER it will be for YOU.
Understand I'm placing myself in great harm for your benefit.
Remember IT IS FATAL.
Old July 19, 2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
You did an even trade of a 686 7 shot for a Ruger SR22? I think you got hosed.
Considering that any trade with a store is going to be in the stores favor (that's how they stay in business), I have to agree that was a very good trade for the LGS.
Old July 19, 2013, 08:43 PM   #7
blchandl2

If you are happy with the trade, that is all that counts.
Old July 19, 2013, 08:49 PM   #8
redhologram

RLWII,
At the gun show? No. I am working on my Master's (Homeland Security) and it's 2 weeks til finals for end of this semester. I am up to my ears in papers.
Old July 19, 2013, 09:42 PM   #9
dontcatchmany

Red Dog......you dog.

Hold your breath while I pack my weapons up and send to you

You sound like me when it comes to catching blow toads (puffer fish and other common names) here on the coast of North Carolina.

Lots of folks think they are poisonous, BUT THEY ACTUALLY ARE DELICIOUS AND NOT POISONOUS.

I tell folks that I am doing research on them and trying to find a way to detox them so I need em for experimentation purposes so give them to me and I will dispose of them and not taint the water by returning them to it. One of the best eating fish in the water and the easiest to clean.....I think they are called sea squab up north.

-------

AND, since I had not shot the 686 since maybe 2010 or earlier I was happy to get it out of my way and have a decent plinking/practice 22 semi. I did not lose any bucks and I definitely would not like the trouble of selling it out right.

And I swear, this is my last gun....ever....except I do want a .45 ACP and maybe a .44....nah...never....maybe!
Old July 19, 2013, 09:54 PM   #10
2tango2

"Pulled the Trigger Again Today"

I bought an SR22 last week. What a fun gun to shoot!
Old July 19, 2013, 10:00 PM   #11
dontcatchmany

Red Dog......you dog.

You sound like me when it comes to catching blow toads (puffer fish and other common names) here on the coast of North Carolina.

Lots of folks think they are poisonous, BUT THEY ACTUALLY ARE DELICIOUS AND NOT POISONOUS.

I tell folks that I am doing research on them and trying to find a way to detox them so I need em for experimentation purposes so give them to me and I will dispose of them and not taint the water by returning them to it. One of the best eating fish in the water and the easiest to clean.....I think they are called sea squab up north.

-------

AND, since I had not shot the 686 since maybe 2010 or earlier I was happy to get it out of my way and have a decent plinking/practice 22 semi. I did not lose any bucks and I definitely would not like the trouble of selling it out right.

And I swear, this is my last gun....ever....except I do want a .45 ACP and maybe a .44....nah...never....maybe!