The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 23, 2011, 08:43 PM   #1
durko58

Big Horn Armory .500 magnum

Anybody familiar with Big Horn Armory's lever action carbine chambered for the S&W.500 magnum? I'm a lever gun enthusiast and this gun sounds like a nice option for all large game. If you have any experience with this rifle I'd be interested in hearing about it. Here's a link to their site. Thanks.
Joe
http://www.bighornarmory.com/products/
Old November 24, 2011, 11:30 AM   #2
mapsjanhere

To me, the rifle looks like someone looked at a Browning BLR in 450 Marlin and looked what we can do to make it worse.
Lets use a rimmed cartridge, so you need a tubular magazine.
Lets bump the caliber to .50 so you can't use all those .458 bullets.
Lets use the old Winchester 92 lay-out so you can't use a scope.
Lets double the price.
For the lever gun enthusiast it's probably a must-have, but for hunting it seems to be the equivalent of carrying a WWI 1911 as self defense weapon.
Old November 24, 2011, 11:54 AM   #3
taylorce1

I like it, but am not familiar with it at all. I don't agree with all the opinions above. The tube magazine is a proven design, and it isn't like your going to use spitzer style bullets in such a short case anyway. There are plenty of pistol bullets to be used in .50 caliber to make it a worthwhile purchase.

I like the old M92 Winchester rifles, they have a cool factor that the new Marlin rifles don't have. With the aperature sight I'm not sure that a scope would make it anymore accurate if a guy wanted to hunt with it at this cartridges effective distance.

Since it is a semi-custom lever action I don't feel the price is all that far out of line. Look at the levers that Wild West Guns builds as well to compare prices. Plus if you were to send in your Guide Gun for WWG's full treatment I'm sure you would come very close to the price of this rifle by the time you are done.
Old November 24, 2011, 12:36 PM   #4
MrDontPlay

I love my S&W 509 and I'd love to have one of these. I'm not going to pay that much for it though. Not saying it's not worth it, it's just not worth it to me. I'll just get a handi rifle.
Old November 25, 2011, 04:39 PM   #5
durko58

I agree with Taylorce1. Besides the aesthetics of the lever gun(especially the rust/blued version), the personal preference of hunting with it in the field (re:my disability) makes it practical as well with the 18" barrel. I reload so the .500 can be scaled down using 300 gr and Unique or up with a 400+gr under H110 for bear. Yea, the price is a bit steep but as a semi-custom lever gun in the ballpark. Here's a video I just found about it while searching through youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMM2_p6xuJQ
Old November 25, 2011, 07:18 PM   #6
William Gilmore

I like it. looks like a well made carbine/rifle. I am not willing to give up my Marlin 1895ss in .45-70 though and the price is quite high for a retiree. Guess I'll keep the Marlin since the ballistics are a bit superior to the .500 S&W. My Bear stopper load is a 450 Gr. solid at 2000 FPS. Hits like a runaway freight train and recoils the same. For anything else I use a 305 Gr. hollow point at 1900 FPS.
Old November 25, 2011, 08:05 PM   #7
durko58

True Mr. Gilmore, I admire the 1895 as well with those ballistics. I'd keep it too!
Old November 25, 2011, 08:52 PM   #8
durko58

Tooshay John lol.
Old September 30, 2012, 07:57 AM   #9
GBBHA

Model 89 is shipping.

We are finally shipping rifles. Sorry about all the delays. It took more time then we thought, but wanted to get it correct. We are slowly filling backorders and hope to be caught up by the end of the year.