The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 1, 2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Sabre9mm

eoTech alternative

I want middle of the road, I want a quality alternative, but not overpriced junk.
I had bit the bullet on a 512, but optic planet (who told me it would ship today) instead sent me a "We are sorry" email changing tat to 6-8 weeks

I know eoTech is all the rage and reported to be the top end quality, but I do not plan on being in any extreme combat scenarios for any extended periods anytime soon.

So opinions on the cheaper alternative but still really good?

I would say $300ish, because that is what I have been trying to get a used eoTech for.
Old March 1, 2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Sabre9mm

Academy has SightMark SM1400 and the Burris FastFire III in stock.
Both seem low for the LE6920 it will be going on....
Old March 1, 2013, 12:02 PM   #3
chipchip

Check out Ultra Dot
Old March 1, 2013, 07:27 PM   #4
AK103K

Quote:
I know eoTech is all the rage and reported to be the top end quality, but I do not plan on being in any extreme combat scenarios for any extended periods anytime soon.
Im not an EOtech fan, and prefer the Aimpoints. I started out with the "cheaper" red dots, and quickly learned that only a rich man can afford cheap stuff. If I had back what I wasted on cheap red dots and batteries to run them, Id have another Aimpoint or two. Same goes for the mounts too.

Ive had 5 Aimpont M2/ML2's since they were all there was (they are really old school now). In all that time, with a ton of rounds through them, and a couple mostly in full auto, I have yet to have one fail, and I have yet to find one with a dead battery. I dont turn mine off either, I leave them on at a medium setting, 24/7/365. Their technology is 10000 hours per battery, new stuff is well over 50000 hours. I change my battery every spring when I change out the smoke detector batteries.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:54 AM   #5
LRChops

Eotech is a good unit but not nearly as reliable as an Aimpoint! I tested the Aimpoints and Eotechs in harsh combat conditions and the Eotech cannot hold up to the Aimpoint! Trijicons are also very nice units. I do likethe Eotech, but eh battery life and durablity of the unit are not as good as Aimpoint. Other than that, everything else on the market that is less expensive is straight up garbage!

Military tested and approved:

Eotech
Aimpoint
Trijicon
Elcan

Everything else is a waste!
Old March 2, 2013, 03:41 PM   #6
Sabre9mm

Any suggestions of an aimpoint model on the LE6920.

Any that will not need a riser like the EoTech 512.
I have read it perfectly co witnesses off the flat top.
Old March 2, 2013, 03:45 PM   #7
cslinger

I like UltraDots for a middle of the road optic.

I am an Aimpoint guy for all my stuff but I have a buddy with an Ultradot that I love. Have used them in the past as well and they seem to be pretty darn good for the money.
Old March 2, 2013, 06:47 PM   #8
AK103K

Quote:
Any suggestions of an aimpoint model on the LE6920.
I only have experience with the Comp M series, which are still pretty common. Youll need to get a separate mount for the Aimpoints (at least the M series), as they dont have a mount built in. This will give you an idea how they work out on a flat top.

This is an Aimpoint M2 on a GG&G cantilever mount.

This is an Aimpoint on a LaRue M68 cantilever mount.

I also have a pre zeroed Aimpoint on an ARMS #22M68 lever mount for my one Armalite that usually wears a scope. They all cowitness with the irons, hold zero when removed and replaced, and give you other options if and when you want them.
Old March 2, 2013, 07:10 PM   #9
VegaSSG32

like eveyone else, aimpoint is a great alternative, ive had both on my M4s in Combat senarios... Neither one let me down...