The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 30, 2008, 10:34 PM   #1
BerettaFox

Px4 Slide Paint

So, obviously mine is all black. I wanted to take the paint off of the slide and make it a two-tone gun, so it will be different. Also, I hear that it is way more intimidating to a criminal (two tone finish). The paint is just beginning to wear off of some of the corners on the front due to holster wear. I've had it about six months or so and carried it all day every day. Is this possible (removing the paint) and would I need to put any kind of a sealer on? I don't think it's stainless steel, the slide that is.
Old May 30, 2008, 11:14 PM   #2
Jason_G

Quote:
Also, I hear that it is way more intimidating to a criminal (two tone finish).
I wouldn't put any stock in that WHATSOEVER.

If you really want the 2-tone finish, you could always DIY with some sandpaper or tape it off and bead blast it or something, but I would honestly send it to a reputable smith that does aftermarket finishes. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Jason
Old May 31, 2008, 01:05 AM   #3
Bill DeShivs

If you remove the finish, the steel will rust unless you do something to prevent it. Nickel plating comes to mind.
Old May 31, 2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Mac's!

I have never heard of 2 tone having any intimidation factor in any confrontation involving a firearm. Size does matter and certain accessories can increase the Oh-cr@p factor of the bad guy. A red dot on his/her chest emanating from the laser attached to the shotgun held by someone who looks like they know how to use has a high intimidation factor. The very scared and shaking young lady holding a small and shaking pistol made me the most intimdated that I've ever been!

Bare (non-Stainless) metal will quickly rust unless it's sealed with something. Like the previous poster said; Nickel will work or Hard Chrome....if you want something shiny. A 2 tone bake-on finish can give you something non-shiny. If you absolutely want the bare metal look, mask it off, abrasive blast the sides and coat them with some type of clear. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com