The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 26, 2009, 02:14 PM   #1
BigJimP

If you shoot Clay Targets - How many / Why ?

Some of us "old timers" were kicking this around the other day at the club. We see a lot of clubs having financial problems / most clubs are having trouble attracting and keeping new shooters.

1. How many rounds of Skeet, Trap or Sporting Clays are you shooting in a month ? ( a round is 25 birds - for purpose of this discussion.
A. Personally I'm at 25 - 40 rounds a month

2. Avereage cost for a round of Clays ( 25 targets ) - just the targets, not shells
A. Personally: $10 for Sporting / $4 for Trap or Skeet / $5 for 5 Stand.

3. What games do you prefer ?
A. Personally - its Skeet, Sporting - and a little Trap.

4. What keeps you from shooting more ?
Ex: Cost of Shooting / Demands on your Free Time / Other ...
A. Personally, its demand on my Free Time

5. How far do you Travel "Round trip" to a club to shoot Clays ?
A. Personally its about 80 - 100 miles for me.

6. Are there a couple of things you would tell Club Management / that would help you enjoy it more / maybe shoot more rounds ?
Ex: Club needs to be open more days, more hours, shoot at night..
Club Management apathy, not Fun, too many rules .....
Personally: run it more like a business vs "good ole boys club" - open more hours, more days.

7. How many years have you been shooting Clays:
< 5 yrs / 5 - 10 yrs / 10- 20 yrs / > 20 yrs
A. for me, its > 20 yrs

8. Are you: < 30 yrs old / 30 - 50 yrs old / over 50 yrs old ....
A. me over 50

I think I know the reasons / but just putting it out there for discussion among the folks that visit this site .....and I'm curious how everyone feels about it. Thanks - if you choose to respond.
Old October 26, 2009, 02:26 PM   #2
rjrivero

1. 10 or so. I wish I could shoot more, but there's just too many things to do, and not enough time.

2. Trap/Skeet $5. 5 Stand $5. No sporting clays courses close enough to me to shoot regularly.

3. 5 Stand. Sporting Clays would be A LOT more fun, if they actually had a course I could shoot weekly.

4. TIME. Not enough hours in the day, or days in the week.

5. 15 miles to the club.

6. Expanded hours.

7. 10-20 years

8. 30-50 years old
Old October 26, 2009, 02:27 PM   #3
LHB1

Many years ago when I was a member of a shooting club, I shot 20-25 rounds of skeet a month. It was good fun but I was always primarily a pistol/target competitor. These days, the only clubs are 80-100 miles round trip from me on the other side of Houston and I shoot at a closer public range. It just isn't as much fun shooting with strangers all the time so I don't shoot much skeet anymore. Price is higher too, about $10 per round plus ammo. Don't compete in pistol tournaments anymore either due to age but still try to shoot at least weekly for personal satisfaction.
Old October 26, 2009, 02:33 PM   #4
JerseyDrez

I started shooting clay about a month ago, but have quickly gotten into it.

Ive gone 4 times since that first time, and I find it extremely addicting. Im used to going to the range and shooting paper and whatnot, but I never realized how fun shooting a moving target is.

With that said, I dont belong to any clubs and nor do many of the shooters in my area. Many of us have the theory of, why try and join a club (when they accept 3 members every 6-8 months) when we can just go to the state public gamelands and shoot for free..with no range instrucotrs, to strict rules, and we can go whenever we want.

I think clubs need to have more 'open arms' and allow easier ways to get into the club itself.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old October 26, 2009, 02:35 PM   #5
JWT

I generally shoot 16 to 20 rounds of trap a month. Costs $5 per round of 25 targets + ammo. Limiting factor is distance to the trap club - a bit over 37 miles and that's about an hour drive from where I live with the traffic around Tucson. The club is very nice and almost without exception the guys shooting are very cordial in all respects - so are the people managing it. I've been shooting trap for about 7 years and am old enough to get social security.
Old October 26, 2009, 09:59 PM   #6
olddrum1

I started shooting clays in Europe in the early seventies. That gives my age away somewhat. As far as distance traveled, from behind my barn, where I have traps, to across two states. Average cost from $3.50 to 12.50 per 25.

On Tuesday night I would shoot a Trap/Skeet league. 100 practice/100 League.

Wednesday would be straight Skeet. 125 rounds.

Thursday would be Trap Night. At least 2 16s and 2 Handicaps, 100 rounds.

Friday, a night at the races, 100 rounds of goose loads.

Saturday, Sporting Clays. Probably at least 200.

Sunday a group of us would get together and shoot skeet all morning then drive 30 miles for Sporting clays all afternoon. I do not know but a guess would be 300 to 400 rounds.

What keeps me from shooting? Two good doctors.
Old October 27, 2009, 06:40 AM   #7
MTT TL

I live on a military post. The membership at the club on post is very active.

Some of us "old timers" were kicking this around the other day at the club. We see a lot of clubs having financial problems / most clubs are having trouble attracting and keeping new shooters.

1. 2-4

2. $4.35 for a ten round card, unless you shoot more than 25, you are supposed to note that

3. Skeet

4. Demands on time, especially during football season

5. 3 miles. Some days I hear them shooting while outside and just mount up and go up there.

6. Nope. They do a lot already. Family fun shoots, cookouts, raffles etc.

7. Nine years, off and on, mostly off. I can't afford to join a non-military club so if the post does not have one I don't shoot. Simple economics. The club near my house in Virginia want three mortgage payments for me to join and then monthly fees and then per round charges on top of that. I guess if I win the lottery I will join. First have to buy tickets though.... The military club is $90/ year.

8. Are you: 30 - 50 yrs old
Old October 27, 2009, 06:49 AM   #8
Waterengineer

Jim:

Nice thoughtful post and questions.

Before answering the specific questions, let me say the game have always been about the people, making friends and being outside, for me. I have made some very long term friends through putting a shotgun to my shoulder.

1. How many rounds of Skeet, Trap or Sporting Clays are you shooting in a month ? ( a round is 25 birds - for purpose of this discussion.)
A. Oh, about 20 - 30 rounds a month, or so my wallet tells me.

2. Avereage cost for a round of Clays ( 25 targets ) - just the targets, not shells
A. Personally: $12-20 for Sporting / $4-7 for Trap or Skeet / $8 for 5 Stand.

A.Prefer, like or shoot best? I like SC best closely followed by 5 Stand. after that it is a push Trap/Skeet. I have shot Trap the longest because Ohio and Colorado have a really strong programs. I didn't start SC until about 15 years ago. Spending most of my time in FL I definintely shoot more SC and Skeet, in my area the Trap game is not as strong. Besides the guys shooting Trap, here in FL, use their walker to get to the pitch. I don't have much in common with them.

A. Demand on free time which for me translated into travel time (see below). The kids are raised and out of the house now so that should change some. After that it is access to the range due to their weird hours.

A. About 80 - 120 miles is typical. However, I have been known to travel 3400 miles for a chance to shoot.

6. Are there a couple of things you would tell Club Management / that would help you enjoy it more / maybe shoot more rounds ?
A. Your thoughts about open more hours, more days are good ideas. In this age of voice operators, light timers, etc., I don't see why the range can't be open during all reasonable hours.

I shoot fairly regualrly at about seven clubs/ranges across two states, FL and CO. Most of the clubs (with the exception of one) run a pretty tight ship. Two are on Defense Department Bases. One is owned by the state of FL, or maybe it is Indian River County.

With that said, having more members involved so all the work doesn't fall on 6-12 guys would be good. Having, say, twice a year group purchases for powder, shot, shells and maybe a gun special or two would be good. One club does this, one sorta, maybe, kinda does it, the other do not.

I have always said the clubs need to promote themselves better, be more high exposure in the community doing things like: community parade floats, open houses to recruit new members, womens day, a booth at the county fair or rodeo, work with the press better. I believe this would create more pride, modivate members, find newly interested persons, retain or get new members. Also clubs need to work with the FFA, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, 4H and the NSSF to work with the young people to make the next generation of shooters.

On a personal level, I dont do enough this way, but when I have been asked to introduce say a 14 y.o. to the shooting sports they get excited, are proud of the level of responsibility being asked of them to handle a firearm - creating a better person, better grades, etc. I'll just say it this way - the kids like it.

A. > 20 yrs Trap. ~15 yrs. or so for Skeet/SC

A. 52 on my next B-day

Last edited by Waterengineer; October 28, 2009 at 12:42 AM.
Old October 27, 2009, 10:37 PM   #9
Jeremiah/Az

Our gunclub is 13 miles from my house & has all clay games. I was a trap shooter for 20+years & then some guys asked me to shoot sporting clays with them. That is all I shoot now, 'bout 5 years. I shoot 'bout 2-3 100 bird rounds a week. I think the cost is $30 per 100. We buy cards(like a credit card) for $110 & get a reduced rate for that. Membership is $50 a year. I am only 72!
Old October 28, 2009, 10:04 AM   #10
Technosavant

1) About 12-15 rounds.

2) About $5 for trap or skeet, $29 for Sporting Clays (those are member prices)

3) Skeet. Haven't tried the others.

4) Free time. Lately, the weather hasn't helped much either. I'd gladly be down there twice a week if I could. The hours don't help either; they're closed Mon-Tues, and it would be easier for me to get there then than over the weekend.

5) My estimate, about 40-50 miles.

6) More hours, more days. My club is open Wed-Sun, and like I said, it would be easier to go more if I could go on Tuesday too. I also find that leagues are a big motivator; not that I'm all that good and competitive, but just the fun and fellowship aspect- you're more likely to get out there if you need to shoot for score.

7) Only about 3 years. I shot skeet for about 4-5 months when I started, then took over a year off, then restarted and got truly hooked.

8) 32 years old.

I think one of the reasons you don't find that many younger people doing it is because the young folks tend to be more pistol/rifle shooters- they're more into shooting for the defensive aspects than for the sporting aspects. It might be easier to get younger shooters to join if there's more than just skeet, trap, 5 stand, and sporting clays- pistol and rifle ranges would be good, but not always practical for many to add.

Really, the big trick is to just get them involved. If the members make a point to not only invite others to come along and try it out as well as being welcoming (instead of griping about the new shooters distracting them), it will go a long way to energizing the sport.

ETA: here's the website of the club where I am a member.
Old October 28, 2009, 03:27 PM   #11
claysportsonline

Good thread!

1. How many rounds of Sporting Clays are you shooting in a month?
2-3 round of 100 clays per week.

2. Average cost for a round of Clays ( 100 targets )
$29 for members

3. What games do you prefer?
I love Sporting Clays & FITASC!

4. What keeps you from shooting more?
Extreme poverty

5. How far do you Travel "Round trip" to a club to shoot Clays?
I'm about an hour away from my home club, but have gone to MD, PA, TX, FL, KY and GA to shoot.

6. Are there a couple of things you would tell Club Management / that would help you enjoy it more / maybe shoot more rounds?
I know they can't go any lower on the price. Night shooting in the summertime (not the whole course, just 5 stand or shooting games). Club championship- cause what is sporting clays without bragging rights. Club BBQ to get the members more connected!!

5-10yrs

30 - 50 yrs old
Old October 28, 2009, 07:03 PM   #12
perazzimx14

This year I laid off the shooting a good bit not because of cost so much but more so to ride motorcycles.

A typical year for me is April-October shooting 99.99% registered trap targets. I live to shoot doubles marathons and regularly do day trips to a club in western PA 180 miles one way from my house. They treat me and my friends like royalty giving us our own trap, puller, marathon priced targets and will throw them as long as we have three shooters. Typically I go in anticipation of a minium of 1000per day. A standard target year yeilds between 15,000 and 20,000 targets per year.

The crazy thing is within 30 miles of my house there a probly 8 active clubs throwing trap targets. Most don't throw registered tagets and non hold doubles marathons. So I go where I am treated the best and for me that is 360 miles round trip from home. Club management take note, listen to what your shooters want not what you think they want.
Old October 29, 2009, 12:30 AM   #13
crashm1

1. How many rounds of Skeet, Trap or Sporting Clays are you shooting in a month ? ( a round is 25 birds - for purpose of this discussion.
A. Average in the 2 months I've been shooting trap is 20 rounds a month

2. Average cost for a round of Clays ( 25 targets ) - just the targets, not shells
A. 5.00 for trap, skeet or five stand at my range
3.What games do you prefer ?
A. Trap so far but I have tried one round of skeet to date.

A. Free Time

A. 80 miles for the trap range I hear there is a good Sporting Clays range within 120 mile round trip I need to check out sometime before the snow flies.

This is the first club I have joined and that was just 3 weeks ago so I don't know yet.

A. two and a half months and I find it very cool.

A. 47yrs old
Old October 29, 2009, 12:53 AM   #14
Jeff B.

I'm really just getting back into shooting. My "trap" shooting was 30+ years ago with a thrower over an old sand pit, so I'm just getting used to the ""civilized" version of this sport.

A. 12

A. Basic Trap $7.95

A. Trap at the moment, getting back in the groove.

A. Time

A. 20 Miles (easy driving)

I like the spot where I go, friendly, well run, no issues yet.

A. 1 due to a loooong layoff.

A. 49 (yesterday)

FYI, my son, middle daughter and wife have been out to the range for a few rounds, and I picked up a 20 GA Auto for the girls.

Jeff B.
Old October 29, 2009, 01:13 AM   #15
Bruno2

Location: Not saying b/c I dont want any of you crazy people to rob or kill me. Alright it's Tulsa , Oklahoma
A. 1-2 games of SC , 12-16 trap , 6-8 skeet

A. Personally: $25 per 100 for Sporting / $2.75 for Trap or Skeet 3.What games do you prefer ?
A. Personally - its Trap.

A. Personally, its demand on my Free Time

A. Personally its about 10-12 miles for me.

Personally: open more hours, more days shoot at night , one of the clubs here is open on Thursday nights to the public and they have big stadium lights there are a lot really good shooters out there and they play "skrap".

A. for me, its 5 yrs

A. 30-50