The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 14, 2001, 07:20 AM   #1
BMiracle

Just bought a Spanish FR-8 Mauser in .308. Posted a new thread in Art of the Rifle about it. My question is does anyone know what wood the stock was made of...It has vertical stripes running from top to bottom like tiger stripes (upon sanding down to bare wood and re-staining). I have bent the bolt handle down, removed the rear high aperture sight and will be installing a scope. It has the standard large ring mauser receiver with 3 locking lugs on bolt. I know Leupold and Weaver make one-piece bases for these mauser actions. Which do you all recommend. Also, due to the different heights of the receiver rings, are the bases milled appropriately. I assume so since every mauser receiver I have ever looked at is milled this way.
Old May 14, 2001, 07:56 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

BMiracle, either would work fine. Yes they are machined to account for the difference in height. I prefer 2-pc bases as they give you more room under the scope. I like to machine off the bridge (you almost have to) to get enough room for the rear base. I think it also gives a better look to the finished rifle. B-Square also makes a one-piece mount for the 98. George
Old May 14, 2001, 08:24 AM   #3
BMiracle

Where can I get the 2-piece bases. I have only ever seen 1-piece bases listed.
Old May 15, 2001, 07:31 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

B, any 2 pc base for a 98 should work. Weaver nos. 45 & 46 for example. Brownells carries a complete line of bases. http://www.brownells.com or you can order them from me for less shipping. George