The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 10, 2012, 02:26 AM   #1
rajbcpa

Red Dot metering OK

This is the first time I have used this powder. Powder measure is Dillon. It seems to measure OK and variations are no more than a grain. I'm throwing 5.6 grains.

What are the red dots in this powder? They appear to be the same size and shape as the rest of the powder.

Last edited by rajbcpa; December 10, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old December 10, 2012, 04:08 AM   #2
Marco Califo

Red Dot

Red Ball?? Red Bull?? Redskins?? Redwings?? Red Man?? Red Lobster??
You mean Red Dot.
Yes, Red Dot has some red flakes. You know, Green Dot has some green flakes. And darned if Blue Dot doesn't have some blue flakes!!
Do you see the pattern here?
The colored flakes allow you to look at the powder in your powder measure and instantly identify the powder visually. A very good idea which they only do for these shotgun powders. Red Dot is famous for its popularity in shooting sports.
Old December 10, 2012, 06:29 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

The flakes are the same gunpowder as used in the non-red flakes.

They're just colored differently.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 10, 2012, 08:04 AM   #4
full case load

"variations are no more than a grain." With a 5.6 grain load that seems like an excessive variation to me. (maybe the fingers typed something the brain didn't mean?)
Old December 10, 2012, 08:12 AM   #5
steve4102

Quote:
It seems to measure OK and variations are no more than a grain. I'm throwing 5.6 grains.
Typo? Or are you actually experiencing 4.6 to 6.6 grain spreads?
Old December 10, 2012, 09:31 AM   #6
rajbcpa

....spreads are 5.5 to 5.7 - a .1 grain variance... mostly on the 5.7 side.
Old December 10, 2012, 11:05 AM   #7
rajbcpa

..this powder was designed to be used in shotgun rounds, I suppose.

Anyway, I was doing some research and, apparently, it can also be used for small cases like 40sw....

...so I bought some and I am now experimenting....

Hopefully, it will work out OK.

Is this a relatively slow burning powder compared to Unique, PP, and Bullseye..? the volume seems to be higher in the case with Red Dot than the other powders

Thx....
Old December 10, 2012, 11:16 AM   #8
FlyFish

Red Dot is a bit slower than Bullseye, and a bit faster than Unique and Power Pistol. Here's a link to a list of powders arranged by burning rates:

http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

Edited to add: I should probably mention that burning rate doesn't necessarily correlate with weight and volume for different powders, and (you probably already know this) you shouldn't come up with loads other than those published in reputable reloading manuals by looking at burning rate charts.
Old December 10, 2012, 11:47 AM   #9
zxcvbob

Red Dot is actually *faster* than Bullseye. Bullseye is higher in energy, so it gets a boost to the top of the "quickness" charts.

Red Dot seems to be made for volumetric measuring (that makes sense as a shotgun powder), so slight variations in the charge weight don't seem to make any difference as long as they measure the same. YMMV.

Red Dot (actually, I use Promo because it's cheaper, and I haven't used up that 8# jug I bought almost 10 years ago) gives me the best accuracy of any powder in every handgun cartridge where I've tried it. And it burns reasonably clean because I'm always loading it near the top end.
Old December 10, 2012, 12:33 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

And I'll add that since powder manufacturers don't normally share technical details with one another, burn rate charts typically have a lot disagreement. I've found charts that rate Bullseye burn rate #1 (book), #3, #4,#5,#6, #10, and #13.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 10, 2012, 08:30 PM   #11
Two Old Dogs

Alliant's Reloading Guide states that Red Dot burns slower than Bullseye. I believe the manufacturer of both powders should be considered the authority on the burn rate of it's powders.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:05 PM   #12
zxcvbob

That's not what they say. They say BE has a higher "relative quickness". That is a technical term that takes into account the powder's energy per gram as well as its burn rate.

Bullseye has over 5100 joules per gram. Red Dot has "only" 4500. (that's still pretty high)
Old December 11, 2012, 09:33 AM   #13
Wallyl

Red Dot vs Bullseye

ZXCVBOB

Interesting to compare. I find that with equal charges of both that the muzzle velocity is almost exactly the same. For some strange reason it would seem that Red Dot is just a bit more efficient. I prefer it to Bullesye, as it has more Bulk. I use it and Promo for all my pistol loads..with the Magnums I load them down to about 1,100 FPS.