The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 24, 2001, 11:32 PM   #1
DeBee

Mauser Kurtz Action

Ok, I realize I'm probably not going to get my hands on one of these, but...

What is the closest action I can get to a Mauser Kurtz action nowdays? I don't want to go through the trouble of cutting and welding a regular action...
Old November 25, 2001, 08:43 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

DeBee, if you can't find a Kurtz (8.125" OAL) the closest are the intermediate 24s and 48s (8.500" OAL). However I think you will find one with a little patience. Keep an eye on www.gunsamerica.com and http://messageforum.com/firearms/trader/trader.cgi . If you suscribe to the second you get e-mails everytime someone lists something for sale. George
Old November 28, 2001, 12:42 PM   #3
Unkel Gilbey

possible solutions...

Sako makes various different length actions, from a short action to a long Magnum length. No knowing the dimentions of the Kurtz action, I don't know if this would be what you're looking for.

Getting one of these actions would get you away from the machining option that you mentioned.

I believe that Dakota also makes a short action, but again, this might not match the Kurtz specs... Also, those actions by Dakota are quite pricey. Getting a Sako action might be a tad cheaper, and then there's also the added cost of barreling and chambering.

But I'm sure you've already considered those. Do check out Brownell's though, they just might stock what you need.

Unkel Gilbey
Old November 29, 2001, 08:40 AM   #4
Clemson

DeBee, have you considered a 1910 Mexican? They are not extremely common, but now and again they pop up in Shotgun News or on Gunbroker, etc.
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old November 29, 2001, 10:01 AM   #5
ScottS

The 1910 Mexican is not a true "Kurtz" action. It is an intermediate-length (same as the M48), small-ring action, as opposed to a true "short-action."

Scott
Old November 29, 2001, 02:48 PM   #6
DeBee

OK, I'm building a gun for my buddy's wife...

The budget is considerable for what they want- a .22-250 Mauser sporter in walnut and blue steel. They are both lawyers and I made them promise not to sue me... I am "allowed" to make a modest profit and basically have the winter to complete the project. I should have enough to stick a 2.5-8x Leupold in Leupold mounts on top and a Latigo sling easy.

I'm going to farm out the barrelling of the action and get a Richard's Microfit in fancy English walnut-- so basically, I'm fitting the action to the stock and the stock to the woman...

What 24 or 48 would require the least prep?

Where can I get one of those old style red rubber recoil pads like they used to put on old Mausers (other than the Brownells catalog)?
Old December 2, 2001, 05:19 PM   #7
Cris

KBI is importing a Mauser action under the Charles Daly name that is said to be the same as the Interams actions of a few years back. I have not found a supplier of just the action in-the-white, but the article I read claims they will be selling them this way. I have contacted KBI but have yet to get a response. If these are the same actions as the Interarms of-old, they will be a cost effective alternant to a military Mauser action. You might shop around for one of these in the desired length. If you are anyone can find a wholesaler, please post.
Old December 2, 2001, 09:20 PM   #8
DeBee

I'm all over the Charles Daly Mausers.

Word has it they are going to offer STAINLESS Mausers! I read somewhere both long and short actions-- heaven for the gunmaker... the bottom metal has a large button floorplate release on the side of the trigger guard but the rest looks good...

For some reason this has me eagerly salivating... a stainless Scout on a Mauser short action Hmmmm...

However, I cannot find anymore information. They are not updating the website last I checked...

www.charlesdaly.com
Old December 2, 2001, 11:37 PM   #9
Cris

The Nov issue of Rifle (pg. 76) has a small write-up on the CD rifles. It says they will be offered "in every major caliber from .22 Hornet to .458 Win Mag." It also says they will be offering both blued and SS barreled actions and actions in the white in several action lengths. I have found a wholesaler who is offering the rifles, but have yet to find one who is offering just the actions. I will do some phone research of the next few days and see what's out there.