The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 7, 2011, 09:16 PM   #1
CLC

Sig p238 info

So I just picked up a Sig p238 on a whim but have yet to shoot it. Anyone give me advice or real world experience? I got it because its Sig, looks cool and fits my girls hand just right which was a big reason for getting it. What kind of extended grips do they have out.
Old February 7, 2011, 09:28 PM   #2
Marlin009

I bought one last month, it is going back to Sig for the 2nd time as of today. It is chewing up casings. Looks great and shoots great but mine has something wrong with it. I hope you have better luck with yours. I'm really disappointed because I like the gun but at this point I have no confidence in it. They adjusted the extractor and replaced the recoil spring the first time.

Mine came with a six and seven round mag. The seven with the extention is nice.

Old February 7, 2011, 09:42 PM   #3
CLC

Haha thanks, I was reading about your problems and was hoping to get an open discussion because Im getting a little paranoid. Hope to get it out in a couple of days as I belong to a 24/7 range and just have to find time.
Old February 8, 2011, 11:58 PM   #4
Rembart

CLC,

I picked up one just like the last poster with rosewood two-tone and night sights. I bought it because I loved the way it looked and felt. I know this is not the best reason but I tend to keep things forever and I plan to carry this gun. Fortunately, mine has been flawless through a mixed run of 150 rounds. Changing the recoil spring out periodically and I think this gun is a lifetime winner! I liked the polymer 380s, especially the Kahr with night sights and the LCP with laser but didn't feel that I could or would want to shoot them regularly. The SIG is an awesome accurate little shooter. It is very comfortable with little or no recoil to me. JMHO
Old February 9, 2011, 12:15 AM   #5
CLC

Thanks, I have the same but with the off color white grips. I had a chance to shoot it a few hours ago and love it. Only thing im worried about is with 100 rds the slide would lock open on the last round 50% of the time. I got it new with only one mag to test
I had one round that the hammer fell on but didn't even touch. So far so good but ill stay paranoid until I put another few hundred rounds through it. How many failures should I expect from a nib gun before I think its suspect?
Old February 9, 2011, 12:25 AM   #6
Jimmy10mm

I've got two, one alloy frame SAS and one Stainless. Both flawless with a few hundred rounds each. I got gypped. Only one mag with each one. They didn't have an extended mag when I bought mine late last year. I'll have to look into that.
Old February 9, 2011, 10:57 AM   #7
Marlin009

Quote:

CLC -

I had one round that the hammer fell on but didn't even touch.
I had one of those as well on Sunday. Very strange.
Old February 9, 2011, 11:23 AM   #8
AK103K

Quote:
I had one round that the hammer fell on but didn't even touch.
What probably happened was the slide didnt fully cycle and go completely into battery, and you just didnt notice. That may or may not have something to do with the slide not locking back too.

Not locking back could be a couple of things. It might be something as simple as your thumb was hitting the slide stop or it needs more break in, or its something else.

Shoot it some more and see what happens. Youll know soon enough if theres trouble.
Old February 9, 2011, 11:37 PM   #9
Rembart

Anyone have any experience or data to back up which carry ammo I should be using for SD in the 380? This little SIG shoots all of it but I am unsure which would have the best performance or even what that means in a 380. I am carrying the Winchester PDX right now but would like to find some Buffalo Bore. I have some CorBon on order to try out but the gun shoots them all just fine. Which do you guys carry for SD?
Old February 10, 2011, 04:15 PM   #10
hardhat harry

I carry nothing but Federal HydraShok in my 4 carry guns, which includes the P238.
Old February 10, 2011, 04:37 PM   #11
CLC

So this might not be a big deal but I did notice that some of the spent cases were warped just a tad around the neck. Is this no big deal? It is by no means as bad as the pictures posted. Its odd cuz I have another pistol that does the same.
Old February 17, 2011, 11:53 PM   #12
mudgun83

Rembart,
Look at the YouTube video on the Hornaday Critical Defense .380 ammo. Supposed to allow the slug to penetrate winter clothing and still mushroom correctly. The P238 loves it, and it's what I carry.
Old February 17, 2011, 11:58 PM   #13
Rembart

Thanks Mudgun I'll check those out. I have another hundred plus flawless rounds through my little Sig and it just gets better and better. Double taps on target are incredibly easy with this gun.
Old February 18, 2011, 12:00 AM   #14
mudgun83

CLC,
Make sure you have the new (Fall 2010) flat recoil spring and also the latest version of magazine with trimmed down front profile. IMHO these make all the difference in the world in operation of these guns. I own two equipped with the new spring and new extended mag, and they have both operated flawlessly with a few hundred rounds through each. Before, had spring fail in one (compressed) and had several FTE's. No worries now!
Old February 18, 2011, 12:11 AM   #15
Wrothgar

I had a strange problem with my 238 last time I went shooting. I pulled the trigger, the hammer fell, but the weapon did not discharge. I recocked the hammer, pulled the trigger, and the second time it went off (same bullet)- this happened about 3 times. Is this the gun or the ammo?
Old February 18, 2011, 08:44 AM   #16
mudgun83

Wrothgar,
Same thing happened to me about the time my recoil spring failed (compressed), after only about 250-300 rounds through gun. Call Sig CS - they will send you a new flat recoil spring.
Old February 18, 2011, 11:11 PM   #17
Wrothgar

Rock'n'Roll. Thanks!
Old February 19, 2011, 03:16 PM   #18
Peter M. Eick

Mine had issues from the factory. It was a hassle but they fixed it.

I trust and carry mine now. No issues. Quite reliable.
Old February 19, 2011, 05:31 PM   #19
bald1

My basic Nitron (non-nite sights, build date May '10) has been trouble free (save with some bad, non-SAMMI spec Herters FMJ that wouldn't feed). I used Wolff #42812 12 lb Mustang recoil springs until the new Sig flat wire recoil spring became available.

Have close to 800 rounds through it. Feeds and fires everything (except Herter's FMJ). My carry choices are Buffalo Bore 100gr +P hardcast flatnose and Winchester 95gr FMJ flatnose.

I use a RKBA leather front pocket holster and a Remora "clipless" IWB.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, over 60, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!

Last edited by bald1; February 19, 2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old February 20, 2011, 12:35 AM   #20
rptrower

My wife & I both own P238s which each have in excess of 100 rds with 0 failures. Both are carried with Hornaday CD.