The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 5, 2006, 10:47 PM   #1
LTC_Para

There is a Hunting God!!!!!!!!!!!!

i thought my hopes for hunting during spring break were shot, but i get to go coyote hunting, i may only have one night so i need the run down on what to do not do, etc so i can guarantee one

what kinda rounds should i use in my 308? i think im kinda out of luck as far as good hunting ammo, dicks sporting goods may, but remingont, winchester which is better

what calls or sounds files do i use

spotlight?

thanks for the help! cant wait
Old March 6, 2006, 01:05 AM   #2
shureshot0471

My seg is to go with an 150 grn. bullet ballistic tip would be good. Cass Creek makes a little hand held that is the best for cheap,spotlight is a must in the dark 2 mil cpu will do fine, if u cannot find a cass creek call just get a basic predtor call. Good luck and Good Huntin
- Ted Nugent
Old March 6, 2006, 01:13 AM   #3
roy reali

Safety Concerns

Where is your coyote hunting going to take place. If it is anywhere near homes or ranches, you should try to find bullets that will break up on a miss. in other words ricochetes will be minimized.

That is one reason that a .22-250 is often safer then a .22 rimfire. A .22-250 shooting a fragile projectile is likely to break up on impact with any surface. Rimfires do not.

Go with the lightest and most fragile bulllets that you can get. Anything coming out of a .308 will do any coyote in.
Old March 6, 2006, 11:05 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

All you have is maybe one day/night? One box of ammo is more than enough. You might try the 110-grain cartridges, but if they're not in stock, the 150s of whatever brand will do. Odds are your shots are gonna be inside a hundred yards, anyhow.

Make sure you're sighted in before you go.

There are many threads here about the "how to" on hunting coyotes. Do some searching. Whomever you're hunting with will be your best advisor, though.

Art